Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kivi's Underworld game (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Kivi's Underworld Wish List (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009)

GeorgiaBoy 09-07-2008 09:38 PM

Kivi's Underworld Wish List

Good Evening,

Lately, I have had little time to play DoP (RL bigtime). However, no matter what turns out, I plan on purchasing KU. That said, I hope the game includes the following:

1) Moddability via .txt files like DoP.
2) Of course, MP. I can get a lot of friends to purchase this way.
3) Greater variety of monsters. Yes, more models, which I would gladly pay for.
4) Ability to import monsters from other games in their format (without having to convert them back into .mdl--make it as user friendly as possible). Example: ability to import the NWN Community Expansion Pack.
5) Ranged weapons.
6) Different types of damage including : Poison, Fire, Lightning, Cold, Acid, Paralyzation, Experience Drain (Energy Drain), Metal Eating, Disease (slow hp drain which can spread), life stealing (vampire), draining attributes, skill leech, etc.
7) Monster special abilities: Speedy, multi-hit, curse (increases damage on char or helps monster or whatever), magic resistant, super strength, teleport.
8) Soft code the level cap.
9) Cash sink(s). Of course, item gambling. Also, an arena where, for X amount of money, character can fight a monster and get exp. Other ideas for a cash sink?
10) Rudimentary map editor via tile placement as an add-on purchase. Diablo II has an excellent freeware one.
11) Crafting items (runes, relics, gems, whatever).
12) Item rarity classifications like DoP with other classes like Epic (3rd highest), Legendary (2nd highest), and Artifacts as the top of the heap.
13) No limit to world size (limited only by resources, of course).
14) Since the DoP engine is kept, please keep isometric!
15) Since KU has many classes, maybe the class/skill system can be like Titan Quest?
16) Ability to customize fonts.
17) Many towns (or can be modded in).
18) Ability to purchase bigger stashes.
19) I should have put this higher, but both genders in all classes would be nice.
20) Different levels of bosses randomly generated: Berserkers, Champions, etc.
21) More treasure classes (jewelry, other precious metals--should be easily modded)...
Whew! Now that I am done with my ideas, I look forward to KU in any event. What impresses me most is the service that the Peeler family gives for DoP. That alone is worth the $19.95...

So, what do YOU want in KU?

Best Regards,

GB

LordLabyrinth 09-07-2008 11:04 PM

Wow that's a demanding list. However even if only few gets implemented, I'm sure it still would be a great game (as long as it is easy to mod). The rest depends on personal preference, so being easily moddable is definitely the top concern for me.

GeorgiaBoy 09-07-2008 11:14 PM

Demanding? Nah. More like a dream list. If Shadow could not code any of these for whatever reason, including economic (everybody has bills to pay), he would still get my $. I just did a 'brain dump' for what I would think the ultimate game would be to me...If Soldak could actually do all of these, I would pay three figures...

GB

scragar 09-08-2008 01:41 AM

I have only 1 want, the ability to turn mods on or off easily.

at the moment I am moving mods into or out of my assets folder to turn them off, and it's kind of a pain(I wouldn't care if you had to restart the game to do it, exiting the game, moving stuff around, then restarting the game has to be a lot harder, right?).

(name here) 09-08-2008 06:37 AM

You know, if you put the modded files in a folder named database outside the asset folders they work fine.

Delve 09-08-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scragar (Post 5783)
I have only 1 want, the ability to turn mods on or off easily.

at the moment I am moving mods into or out of my assets folder to turn them off, and it's kind of a pain(I wouldn't care if you had to restart the game to do it, exiting the game, moving stuff around, then restarting the game has to be a lot harder, right?).

Actually, with the override changes I've thought about building a simple utility for this (it's hardly a new idea, as I know some here can confirm). Thing is, I have too many projects already :(

Shadow 09-08-2008 04:26 PM

Out of this list, here are the ones that are already in Kivi:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy (Post 5777)
1) Moddability via .txt files like DoP.
5) Ranged weapons.
7) Monster special abilities: Speedy, multi-hit, curse (increases damage on char or helps monster or whatever), magic resistant, super strength, teleport.
10) Rudimentary map editor via tile placement. Diablo II has an excellent freeware one.
13) No limit to world size (limited only by resources, of course).
14) Since the DoP engine is kept, please keep isometric!
16) Ability to customize fonts.

LordLabyrinth 09-08-2008 05:30 PM

Oh man, oh man, I'm starting to drool!! I can't wait to play that game. I especially love the easy mod and unlimited world size.

GeorgiaBoy 09-08-2008 06:37 PM

Yup. I am starting to drool too (my wife would say that she did not see any difference) :D.

@Shadow: I think most of the others (except #2, which can be another whole game in of itself) can be modded in, esp #6 and maybe #9)
Could item crafting be modded in?
Would one be able to import the models from DoP into KU?
Can quests be scripted and randomly generated?

GB

LordLabyrinth 09-09-2008 08:47 PM

From the looks of it, Shadow is going to be very busy with Kivi.

Delve 09-09-2008 11:44 PM

I doubt you'd be able to mod crafting into the game unless he's extended the the engine with an at least rudimentary scripting language that's user-accessible. You have to at least be able to say 'if box1 has a widget and box2 has a cog, destroy them both and spawn a codget'. Which, as far as I know, can't be done in DoP.

Kivi is still pretty unkown though so who knows, though I expect this is no small task. If it's in there though, I'm going to start salivating myself. Because it opens a whole new world of fun and excitement.

Shadow 09-10-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy (Post 5800)
Could item crafting be modded in?

I doubt that crafting can be modded in. There aren't any mechanisms to allow combining items together.

People keep bringing up items and how they wish the system was more complex. Remember this is a more casual game, so in Kivi the items are simpler than DoP. There isn't even a normal general inventory.

Having said that, there are lots of items. There are armor/weapon pickups that boost your overall armor/weapon ratings automatically. There are instant use items like health & mana. There are keys. There are items that raise your score (score unlocks skill points, awards, and some characters). There are also powerups. You do have a very small inventory (3 slots right now) to hold powerups, so that you can use them whenever you want.

Crafting and other item complexities are cool ideas btw, just more suited to a DoP type game. Actually I have other game ideas that I would like to do someday that more complex item designs would work well in also.

Quote:

Models from DoP would work fine in Kivi.

Quote:

Can quests be scripted and randomly generated?

You can't really script quests, although I have reworked how quests work from a data perspective. Unlike DoP, you can now add new quests. They have to use a base type, but you can make much more specific quests now.

Delve 09-10-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 5814)
You do have a very small inventory (3 slots right now) to hold powerups, so that you can use them whenever you want.

Just to beat everyone to the punch, is inventory size moddable? ;)

Shadow 09-10-2008 01:09 PM

Right now I don't think it is, but I can probably fix that before we ship.

Roland 09-10-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 5816)
Right now I don't think it is, but I can probably fix that before we ship.

That would be nice :)

Will there be a hard lvl cap?
Any type of rare items or set items?

This would be on my "wish" list...even if the numbers were small and the spawn % rare. Rare Loot is the reason I continue to play ARPGs like Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Sacred ;)

The random loot slot machine is a strong pull especially in a SP game, to keep people interested and playing.

imo

Regards

Shadow 09-11-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland (Post 5819)
Will there be a hard lvl cap?

Well yes and no. There aren't exactly levels. How it works is after each adventure you get rewarded a bronze, silver, or gold trophy worth respectively 1, 2, or 3 skill points. There isn't any caps on anything except for how many adventures there are and the skill point rewards. Both of these should be modable.

Quote:

Any type of rare items or set items?

No, but it doesn't make much sense with the how the game works.

Quote:

The random loot slot machine is a strong pull especially in a SP game, to keep people interested and playing.

Most of the item drops in the game are random, but they are things like instant use items, skill ups, and powerups. Some of the powerups are pretty rare though, like Earthquake.

LordLabyrinth 09-11-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 5834)
Well yes and no. There aren't exactly levels. How it works is after each adventure you get rewarded a bronze, silver, or gold trophy worth respectively 1, 2, or 3 skill points. There isn't any caps on anything except for how many adventures there are and the skill point rewards. Both of these should be modable.

That sounds very interesting. I think we've all gotten too comfortable with conventional level up rpgs. I'm looking forward to it.

Can I make a suggestion? I really enjoyed searching for secrets in DoP, especially the one where you have to read. Please add many secrets in this game. They are very fun to search out and make something mundane very interesting.

Shadow 09-11-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordLabyrinth (Post 5840)
Can I make a suggestion? I really enjoyed searching for secrets in DoP, especially the one where you have to read. Please add many secrets in this game. They are very fun to search out and make something mundane very interesting.

Kivi has many secrets throughout all of the adventures (well over a hundred last time I counted). Every adventure has a least one. I think one of the adventures has 11. A few of the playable characters are even hidden in secret areas.

LordLabyrinth 09-11-2008 09:42 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the full release date, but I don't want to hurry you and end up with an unpolished product. So I'll just shut up and wait patiently until you think it's ready to be released.

GeorgiaBoy 09-11-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow:
Models from DoP would work fine in Kivi.
@ Shadow: So, I assume models in Kivi would be fine in DoP :D?

Other graphics? Maps, etc.?

Heck, I feel I owe you a BBQ Dinner (at least). If you are ever in GA, PM me.

GB

Shadow 09-15-2008 08:44 AM

Some of the Kivi stuff would also work in DoP, but that's a bit trickier since the Kivi engine has been upgraded in a lot of ways. So some stuff would work and some wouldn't.

LordGek 10-01-2008 05:17 PM

I'm just ASSUMING it still is all about randomized maps or must the levels be much more scripted if you plan to have hidden areas and a bit of a story line?

Shadow 10-03-2008 12:37 PM

In Kivi, the adventures are much more designed than random like DoP. For Kivi I think this works better. This allows us to have hundreds of secrets, cool ambushes, more directed gameplay, and better support for user made adventures.

I still like random maps btw. It works really well in some types of games (like DoP) and less so in others.

DaveyJJ 10-03-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 6098)
This allows us to have hundreds of secrets, cool ambushes, more directed gameplay, and better support for user made adventures.

Cool editor = awesome community mods. Can't wait!

Life 10-28-2008 03:08 PM

The only Big thing I would wanna see is a MMO feature. Where i can play online with other players.