Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Din's Curse game (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   World modifiers (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561)

Shadow 07-07-2009 09:26 PM

World modifiers

Yesterday I added another system that should make all of the random stuff a little more interesting. It's the World Modifiers system. Each world has some random world modifiers that gives that world a bit of extra flavor and gives it a different style from other worlds. A modifier basically changes the world from normal in some specific way and usually to some extreme.

A simple example is a high intensity modifier that increases the quest and event generation. This means more unique monsters running around, more monster uprisings, more earthquakes, and many other things going on more often.

Another example that I want to add is a horror modifier. This will probably have more dead bodies laying around, be darker, have more undead, and the monsters will likely make more noise. I'm hoping this will feel pretty different than normal.

If I can make it so it's not abused, there might even be a high treasure modifier.

The neat thing about the modifiers is that there is a random set of them each world. Hopefully we will have a ton of these so that not only will you not see any specific modifier very often, you might never see the same combination of modifiers ever again. I'm also planning on there being a level requirement from a lot of them so as you increase in level you see more and more different modifiers.

Do you guys have any specific world modifier ideas or comments?

torikamal 07-07-2009 11:25 PM

I think that is a great idea. Even just terrain stuff would be cool to add to that to, like, "Boy, there sure are a lot of mushrooms in this world." or "Stalactite heaven!"

SharpCarlos 07-08-2009 02:06 PM

That sounds really cool, and I especially want to single out the idea that some modifiers have level requirements. I like the thought that as I advance in the game, I'm increasing the chances of seeing something I've never seen before.

And I hope some of the mods are extremely rare. I know that's painful from a developer/programmer point of view (you hate to put time and effort into something that only a fraction of dedicated players will experience), but I would love to, even after I've put a lot of time in, still once in a blue moon see something new.

torikamal 07-08-2009 02:30 PM

I think that rare stuff could be especially effective if it gets implemented in patch updates. That way, if you want to get a robust game out, but you really want some small details in, you can get the game out and keep adding gameplay with patch updates.

Very few games do this effectively, because their updates tend to just be balancing tweaks and bugs (which are all extremely important), but this would make sense even from a storyline perspective, because some of the really high level rare world mods wouldn't be seen anyway until someone has really progressed far into the game. Plus, it would be a reason to go back if you've played really hardcore for a while, took a break, saw new content in a patch and jump back in.

Shadow 07-08-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpCarlos (Post 8288)
And I hope some of the mods are extremely rare. I know that's painful from a developer/programmer point of view (you hate to put time and effort into something that only a fraction of dedicated players will experience), but I would love to, even after I've put a lot of time in, still once in a blue moon see something new.

They do have different spawn chances, so different modifiers are more rare than others.

SharpCarlos 07-08-2009 10:17 PM

And now, the obligatory list of world modifier ideas. Actually, I think a lot of these don't really capture the spirit of what you're trying to do, and others would work better as "level modifiers" to give variety within a world, but would be tedious or annoying if a WHOLE adventure used them. But, anyway:

1) Different gimmicky level layout algorithms (bigger/smaller rooms, longer tunnels, more maze-like).

2) Chaos (increased chances of monsters fighting each other).

3) Mana storm (magic is stronger or weaker than normal, for both the player and monsters).

4) Acid rain (items all gradually lose durability, or maybe items spawn with lower than normal durability).

5) Thin air (player loses stamina faster / gains it slower).

6) Fewer item drops but more gold (or the opposite).

7) The “dungeon” is actually a tower that you ascend. This doesn't really affect gameplay any, and would just be for flavor, but I imagine all it would require would be different quest text and different graphics for the entrance.

8) Headquarters (lots of bosses and really weak cannon fodder, but no in-between “average” monsters).

9) Zoo (only non-humanoid monsters).

10) Prison (only humanoid monsters).

11) Trickster’s realm (more locked doors and traps).

12) Under construction (tunnels that lead nowhere, empty treasure chests, doors that open onto flat walls, higher chance of cave-ins).

Those last few might actually have some merit.

icekrystal10 07-08-2009 11:01 PM

This concept sounds great! I love the ideas all of you have suggested so far.

Shadow 07-09-2009 09:51 AM

Lots of good ideas there SharpCarlos.

Boaal 10-03-2009 10:28 AM

I'm utterly impressed by the amount of detail and depth you guys are putting into this game. Sounds brilliant.

getter77 10-03-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boaal (Post 8716)
I'm utterly impressed by the amount of detail and depth you guys are putting into this game. Sounds brilliant.

Likewise. This seems to have so much going for it across the board. Easily one of my most anticipated titles for these next months to come.