Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Zombasite (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Game 5 (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31541)

Shadow 04-30-2014 03:15 PM

Game 5
 
We've started initial work on game 5 now. For our first few games we kept things quiet until we were ready to officially announce things, but that was a pain and not very fun, so we are going to start talking about the game now. Don't take anything we say as a guarantee though. It is still very early, so anything could change.

Here's my very current, rough blurb:

In the DoP/DC world, the zombie infection has mutated and is out of control. Now anything bitten or even scratched by a zombie might be infected. With the easy spread of the zombie infection, the undead are overrunning most of the world. Civilization has been destroyed. There are still pockets of resistance here and there; many of these are not human though.

Your job is to ensure you and your followers survive the zombie apocalypse. While zombies are the most immediate threat, it's not the only one. Critical supplies like food are extremely limited and must be provided or people will starve. Your followers can be infected. Having someone turn inside of your stronghold is bad. Other groups are struggling to survive also. When they run low on supplies, will they trade or attack? Other groups, monsters, and zombies can all attack your stronghold. And finally you have to make sure your followers don't cause problems or kill each other.

While not usually life threatening, you must deal with your followers. Their moods, personalities, actions, and skills will affect everyone else in your stronghold. Someone that is upset might drag down everyone's mood or might even start a rebellion. People with opposite personalities might get into fights and cause a schism within your stronghold. Someone saving another follower from a zombie might make them a friend though. Having followers with key skills will be important. You might need someone with the blacksmith skill to repair weapons. Having a butcher might increase how much food you can scavenger from a killed animal.

This is a game of survival. When a follower dies, they are dead. The world supply chain is gone. Food is a critical resource that must be obtained. Vendors are rare and have limited supplies. There isn't a town blacksmith that can repair all of your weapons or a town vendor to buy an infinite amount of food from. Survival isn't easy.

End of very rough blurb

Just to be clear, this is a zombie survival game set in the DoP/DC universe. It is in a fantasy setting and will use an isometric viewpoint. While it's not really a true sequel, it will have lots of elements from DoP, DC, and even Drox.

I know there's probably too many zombie games, movies, TV shows, and books out right now, but I like zombies. :) If you haven't noticed, every game we've done has had zombies in it, even Drox.

Anyways, as usual we would love your feedback. Questions, ideas, and criticisms are all welcome.

ScrObot 04-30-2014 04:19 PM

Exciting news! I'm not sure exactly how this will play, but it sounds interesting. (Will there be city building aspects for your stronghold? Is this still kind of an ARPG at heart? Will you be controlling just one character directly? Are your followers like pets/summons in other games, where you can equip them and perhaps specify their upgrades and stances, but not directly control their actions? How is this different than, say, Dead State?)

I had a few immediate thoughts when reading this.

1. Graphics. Drox is the prettiest Soldak game thus far, and yet I still see some people bitching about it. If this game looks like DC when it comes out, there's going to be a lot of (unfounded) hate on the look. Nobody is (reasonably) expecting AAA motion-captured HD insanity, but (as lame as it sounds) making sure it looks (and FEELS) great is going to help gain traction, in my opinion. Gameplay is still #1, but I think this would really help take it to the next level in sales and visibility.

2. Randomness and pre-set scenarios. Replayability is huge, and keeping things from getting stale is important. Pure randomness isn't always great (see: Drox quests that can be impossible -- "make Dryad [who has one planet and are about to be killed off] the most powerful race [in a sector where everyone else has 20 planets] or lose the sector"). However, I envision lots of pre-set scenarios, locations, etc that can randomly happen in the world. Perhaps you can come across an established settlement that has a number of different starting situations -- what state the settlement is in, what kind of government/leadership they have, whether or not they have farms or other resources, their attitude towards you, etc.

Other things could be different types of buildings or locations that you come across which would have different starting states as well. I want to be surprised at what I find, and I want to have to think about my actions, rather than seeing Building Type #7 and automatically knowing "well this is going to be an abandoned warehouse with a pack of zombies in the back" because I've seen it four times before. Perhaps somewhat random branching quest lines, so when you get the "hey help me rescue my friend who fell down this hole" quest, it doesn't always play out the same way.

3. Living world and emergent situations. Some of the coolest parts of DoP/DC/DO are how things happen around you without your intervention. In DoP, other covenants run around and complete quests. In Drox, other races will kill boss monsters and send diplomatic ships without involving you. This goes a long way towards replayability and feeling like a small part of a larger world, rather than a god-like character that everything else waits for your actions and presence to do anything.

Visiting a location, then coming back later and seeing it in a much different state would be very interesting. (That factory you explored earlier? A separate group of survivors have taken it over and set up defenses, and they're not too happy with you snooping around.) Finding bits of lore that directly relate to actions that are happening in the current game would be cool -- signs hastily put up by NPCs directing you to a settlement or warning you of a specific danger, newspapers or other text that give a relevant piece of backstory to a building or area -- these types of things could all be generated and not just be static pre-written text. Little pieces of flavor can go a long way.

4. Mods. These are always great for the community and the lifespan of the game, and I have no doubt that support will be included. Perhaps some more of the systems could be exposed to make larger mods possible, such as more control over UI elements. Since you're very early in the project, this may be something that could be done before the codebase gets huge. Maybe even an overhaul of the current way that the plain text data files have traditionally been handled to support tagging, scripting or something along those lines.

I look forward to hearing more about the game! You already have a great track record on the above points, hopefully they can all be expanded and polished to really hit it out of the park!

Shadow 04-30-2014 04:39 PM

It will still be an action RPG. There might be some building on your stronghold. You will only control your character directly. You will be able to equip your followers (probably similar to DoP). You won't have direct control over your followers and their behaviors will be controlled by their personality, skills, morale, etc.

It's definitely going to have some things in common with Dead State. The biggest differences are real-time instead of turn based, fantasy/medieval setting (swords, magic, orcs, etc.) instead of current day, and a very dynamic world instead of a set storyline.

I'm going to start researching some graphics stuff soon, so hopefully they will pan out and this game will be our best looking game yet.

This game should have at least the random elements that show up in DoP, DC, and Drox. At least those that make sense.

The dynamic stuff in our previous games will still be there.

I haven't thought too much about the mod stuff, but it should be at least as moddable as previous games.

Bearro 04-30-2014 04:40 PM

Does it have to be limited to zombies? This idea has been overdone a lot, making people become different types of undead based on their death would be much more interesting. Also what about the protagonist, can he/she be and continue playing as a zombie?

ScrObot 04-30-2014 04:46 PM

In addition to "different types of undead based on their death", perhaps other fantastical creatures could be included in minor roles too -- there could be a werewolf that bites someone and turns them, or a vampire on the loose. There's potential for other interesting creatures and maladies using classic monster types and/or coming up with some new ones.

Shadow 04-30-2014 05:20 PM

I'm pretty sure there will be multiple types of zombies probably based on what type of creature or type of person was infected. At the moment I don't think the player will be able to turn and if he can that will be end of the character.

There will be other monster types in the game. It is the DoP/DC world, so there are Orcs, Torvas, Demons, Dark Elves, Targs, etc in the world. Now which ones actually make an appearance in the game I have no idea yet.

Castruccio 04-30-2014 05:25 PM

The foundational ideas sound great. Solid game mechanics and a nice direction for the gameplay. The biggest worry is that you are entering a market that is already very crowded with very successful zombie games. There are even isometric zombie games (Project Zomboid) that are quite successful. I like the idea that this is a zombie game set in a DoP/DC world, and I would encourage you to play up the fantasy setting as much as possible in the art. Since the market is so crowded, the only way you will be able to set yourself apart is the dynamic world (which you always have) and a compelling setting. Otherwise people might be inclined toward something like Project Zomboid.

Shadow 04-30-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castruccio (Post 73060)
The biggest worry is that you are entering a market that is already very crowded with very successful zombie games.

That's actually my biggest worry, but I think in the end it will be fine. While the starting idea might be similar to some things that are out there, I think the final game will be pretty unique.

Hobo elf 04-30-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 73053)
This is a game of survival. When a follower dies, they are dead. The world supply chain is gone. Food is a critical resource that must be obtained. Vendors are rare and have limited supplies. There isn't a town blacksmith that can repair all of your weapons or a town vendor to buy an infinite amount of food from. Survival isn't easy.

Are you going for the usual kill monster for XP -> level up system? Or have you ever thought of trying something different? Instead of just grinding away at enemies to increase in power you could tie character progression to the survival aspect of the game. Hard choices and hard losses / gains would hit home even harder since it would feel more personal to the player and their character that they have a connection with. Maybe some people would think it a bit harsh system, but it would help enhance the survival feel of the game.

Castruccio 04-30-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 73061)
While the starting idea might be similar to some things that are out there, I think the final game will be pretty unique.

I agree, and you and I and the people that visit this forum already know that. The big challenge is making everyone else aware of it. If you don't know that the Soldak name is synonymous with unique and dynamic worlds, you might just look at the title and think "ugh, another Zombie game." Every effort to should me made to avoid that problem, and even then it might not be a 100% surmountable problem.

Caal 05-01-2014 12:15 AM

I've played some Cataclysm DDA and enjoyed its sophisticated character setup, crafting, interactivity, and strategic elements. I think combining these elements into a Dins style dynamic event ARPG world would make a pretty interesting game.

Forevener 05-01-2014 12:24 AM

Mods. Externalized game logic. Lua|Java|C#|soldakode scripting!

Bearro 05-01-2014 04:43 AM

Giving the idea some more thought - what the game has over other zombie games is that it is set in a pre-existing fantasy world. if this means you kill zombies with swords and magic instead of guns, than that's a superficial difference... But fantasy could add other interesting elements to the setting - e.g. necromancy, controlling the undead or even Liches organizing zombies... I do hope the fantasy setting is going to be more than just a reskin.

gornova 05-01-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearro (Post 73067)
Giving the idea some more thought - what the game has over other zombie games is that it is set in a pre-existing fantasy world. if this means you kill zombies with swords and magic instead of guns, than that's a superficial difference... But fantasy could add other interesting elements to the setting - e.g. necromancy, controlling the undead or even Liches organizing zombies... I do hope the fantasy setting is going to be more than just a reskin.

I must quote Bearro. Fantasy world with undeads could be more interesting than real world (IMHO).

my 2 cents: make more stronghold/ settlements fighting for food and resources. Don't be only on human vs zombie, but human vs human + all vs zombies.
(where humans are any kind of fantasy races)

Castruccio 05-01-2014 12:57 PM

Agreed about playing up the fantasy aspect. This is what will set the game apart. It would be cool if you could play as more than humans (unlike in DC and DoP where you could only be human).

Shadow 05-01-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hobo elf (Post 73062)
Are you going for the usual kill monster for XP -> level up system?

Probably. Although there will probably be other ways of gaining XP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caal (Post 73065)
I've played some Cataclysm DDA and enjoyed its sophisticated character setup, crafting, interactivity, and strategic elements. I think combining these elements into a Dins style dynamic event ARPG world would make a pretty interesting game.

I'll have to check out Cataclysm DDA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forevener (Post 73066)
Mods. Externalized game logic. Lua|Java|C#|soldakode scripting!

I'll definitely think about this, although in our case this gets to be difficult. A lot of our CPU time is already used by the game code. Pushing it out to a scripting language is likely to make that much worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearro (Post 73067)
Giving the idea some more thought - what the game has over other zombie games is that it is set in a pre-existing fantasy world. if this means you kill zombies with swords and magic instead of guns, than that's a superficial difference... But fantasy could add other interesting elements to the setting - e.g. necromancy, controlling the undead or even Liches organizing zombies... I do hope the fantasy setting is going to be more than just a reskin.

I'm not positive, but Liches are likely to make an appearance again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gornova (Post 73068)
my 2 cents: make more stronghold/ settlements fighting for food and resources. Don't be only on human vs zombie, but human vs human + all vs zombies.
(where humans are any kind of fantasy races)

I'm pretty sure there will be other strongholds. They might become allies or they might become enemies. It will depend on who they are, what the situation is, and how you treat them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castruccio (Post 73069)
Agreed about playing up the fantasy aspect. This is what will set the game apart. It would be cool if you could play as more than humans (unlike in DC and DoP where you could only be human).

I would love to allow multiple races, but that becomes an animation nightmare really quick. At least in our past games, a monster will have like 10 animations, but a playable character has 100s.

Professor Paul1290 05-01-2014 02:02 PM

I think you could easily replace zombie infection with something else that would get the job done.

You could say that the gods got pissed off or some lich got really powerful and the souls from the underworld are possessing both living and dead things and trying to take over world. (The Din's Curse hero didn't get to fixing that in time or something)

Infection could then be demonic possession or something like that.

Castruccio 05-01-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 73070)

I would love to allow multiple races, but that becomes an animation nightmare really quick. At least in our past games, a monster will have like 10 animations, but a playable character has 100s.

I guess that makes sense and shows why Drox was the only game to feature multiple playable races (no animations on ships). Could elves, dwarves, and humans all move in similar ways? I envision it similar to the way that all the Kivi's characters moved in similar ways but looked different.

Bluddy 05-01-2014 03:26 PM

I'm curious as to what vibe you're going for. Zombie games are usually about hopelessness, despair, and surviving(or not) against all odds. For example, every game of Project Zomboid opens with the line "This is the story of how you died" (or some such thing). The zombies' success is inevitable, and is just a matter of time. ARPGs, on the other hand, are about the player getting stronger, and kicking butt. Din's Curse had some of that desperation aspect to it, but your job was to beat the evil (or not) and move on to the next town.

Also, will permadeath be a default part of the game, or are you invincible as in the other games?

Additionally, a big part of the fun from zombies in DC was seeing how zombies spread from one non-zombified creature to another. If your enemies are mostly zombies, then that aspect can only translate to members of your settlement turning, and how long can that last before your settlement is gone?

Bluddy 05-01-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 73070)
I'll definitely think about this, although in our case this gets to be difficult. A lot of our CPU time is already used by the game code. Pushing it out to a scripting language is likely to make that much worse.

This is understandable for Drox to some degree since it's simulating a whole sector simultaneously. However, there's no collision detection, and skeletal animations are minimal, so even if they're done on the CPU, they should be taking up very little time. DC and DoP's performance mystifies me even more, since the collision detection is so basic and the simulation only happens for the level you're in + the town at any one time (except for multiplayer, which I rarely play). It seems like there's a lot of room for optimization in the engine.

If you're thinking of going the scripting route (which I do recommend), look into luajit. It's the fastest scripting language/interpreter around, and it really shouldn't slow down performance by much, so long as it's used for the non-performance-critical stuff like quests, faction relationships etc. Anything performance critical can call c++ routines.

Tuidjy 05-01-2014 03:44 PM

It has already been said, but I feel I have to say it too: "I am sure that it will be a great game that I and those like me will cherish and play for a long, long time. I am also afraid that it will enter a very tough market, and it will be hard to make potential customers aware of its strengths and intricacies."

This said, where do I buy an early copy?

ScrObot 05-01-2014 07:50 PM

I just happened across a similar game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bie-apocalypse

*shrug*

DOP2please 05-02-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrObot (Post 73077)
I just happened across a similar game on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bie-apocalypse

*shrug*

That's not the Soldak style and I don't think it'll be anything like that game.

Soldak always has a wonderful way of making their games special. Like most things, how you pull it off is much more important that what it actually is. Soldak is always growing an learning. After seeing the leaps they've taken in game design from DOP to Drox there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to be amazing.

Totally geeking out and cheering for Soldak!

joku 05-02-2014 01:24 AM

Friggin' Ciglio, man. He just had to go and start a zombie apocalypse (as I imagine it, an unintended consequence of his zombie army).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 73053)
I know there's probably too many zombie games, movies, TV shows, and books out right now, but I like zombies. :)

Hard to argue with that.

Roswitha 05-02-2014 01:03 PM

Survival of the clans?
 
So, Shadow,

What, exactly, is cool about zombies (straight question, no sarcasm) and how attached are you to the 'z' word?

If we can come up with a scenario with all of the cool aspects of zombies without actually calling them that, you can still have a zombie game and dodge the marketing issues.

Say, a highly contagious plague has swept through the land which leaves its victims insane and horribly disfigured. They attack everything on sight. They're not undead so they still need to eat and they have enough sanity left to remember how to find food. So they're competing with the survivors for the food supply, and may attack the towns to get some.

Would you go for this sort of thing?

Bluddy 05-02-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roswitha (Post 73080)
So, Shadow,

What, exactly, is cool about zombies (straight question, no sarcasm) and how attached are you to the 'z' word?

If we can come up with a scenario with all of the cool aspects of zombies without actually calling them that, you can still have a zombie game and dodge the marketing issues.

Say, a highly contagious plague has swept through the land which leaves its victims insane and horribly disfigured. They attack everything on sight. They're not undead so they still need to eat and they have enough sanity left to remember how to find food. So they're competing with the survivors for the food supply, and may attack the towns to get some.

Would you go for this sort of thing?

The game world already contains zombies, and it seems a little silly to have both zombies and 'people who behave much like zombies but aren't called that for commercial reasons'.

The zombies of the game world, however, do not spread by biting, but by killing their enemies and raising their dead bodies (as seen in DC). In fact, I don't think it would be possible to make a medieval technology ARPG with infection-based zombies, since all melee fighters would be zombified in no time. You generally need to get hit somewhat in an ARPG or your defense stats and armor are unnecessary, whereas in infection-zombie worlds, even a single hit can turn you.

Roswitha 05-02-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluddy (Post 73081)
The zombies of the game world, however, do not spread by biting, but by killing their enemies and raising their dead bodies (as seen in DC). In fact, I don't think it would be possible to make a medieval technology ARPG with infection-based zombies, since all melee fighters would be zombified in no time. You generally need to get hit somewhat in an ARPG or your defense stats and armor are unnecessary, whereas in infection-zombie worlds, even a single hit can turn you.

Fair enough. I missed that part. I think one of the posts was talking about infection-based zombies and it threw me off.

I don't mind zombie monsters so much, but I really detest the whole Zombie Apocalypse thing, and it was the first thing that came to mind. I think if this game is advertised as a zombie game, it will run headlong into people's prejudices and they won't even bother to look at it. I only gave it a second look because I know the kind of games Soldak makes.

What if they call it a survival RPG? It's exactly the same game, but it preframes people to look at it differently.

kyoden 05-02-2014 08:45 PM

I'm all in for zombies. Love' em (you know what I mean ^^). I can imagine this could become very very awesome just from the way you generate "random" worlds.

Shadow 05-08-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluddy (Post 73073)
I'm curious as to what vibe you're going for. Zombie games are usually about hopelessness, despair, and surviving(or not) against all odds. For example, every game of Project Zomboid opens with the line "This is the story of how you died" (or some such thing). The zombies' success is inevitable, and is just a matter of time. ARPGs, on the other hand, are about the player getting stronger, and kicking butt. Din's Curse had some of that desperation aspect to it, but your job was to beat the evil (or not) and move on to the next town.

Also, will permadeath be a default part of the game, or are you invincible as in the other games?

Additionally, a big part of the fun from zombies in DC was seeing how zombies spread from one non-zombified creature to another. If your enemies are mostly zombies, then that aspect can only translate to members of your settlement turning, and how long can that last before your settlement is gone?

I see it as a mix. Unless you are playing hardcore, the player gets more and more powerful and eventual "wins". However, the NPCs in your group are not protected in the same way, so they will likely die eventually. Although as usual this completely depends on you and how well you protect your people.

I'm guessing that the default mode will not be hardcore.

I'm currently planing on there being plenty of monsters left that can and probably will eventually be infected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuidjy (Post 73075)
This said, where do I buy an early copy?

We will probably do the pre-order/beta thing, but that's a long ways off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roswitha (Post 73080)
What, exactly, is cool about zombies (straight question, no sarcasm) and how attached are you to the 'z' word?

For me the cool thing about Zombies is that they are a multi-front enemy. They can kill you directly, turn you through infection, turn your ally into an enemy by infecting them, and turning others into enemies just because supplies run low when society breaks down.

MikeLemmer 05-14-2014 12:36 PM

What are your plans for the game's pacing? In Din's Curse and Drox Operative, each town/sector seemed to either be in a constantly high state of emergency or completely manageable the entire time. Do you plan to occasionally give the player a breather, even in tough scenarios? Or tweak things so sometimes everything goes wrong at once even in an easy scenario?

MasterMorality 05-26-2014 09:18 AM

I'll be honest: These days when I see 'Zombie survival' I just switch off.

I'm still a bit hesitant, but I'm interested. There are a thousand other ARPGs on the market, but Din's Curse actually still beats most of them flat out. So I'm intrigued to see a Soldak take on this rather heavily saturated genre.

Good luck.

Shadow 05-26-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterMorality (Post 73203)
I'm still a bit hesitant, but I'm interested. There are a thousand other ARPGs on the market, but Din's Curse actually still beats most of them flat out. So I'm intrigued to see a Soldak take on this rather heavily saturated genre.

I think our fans of DC and DoP will be quite happy.

Jorlen 05-26-2014 09:37 PM

Sounds pretty rad to me!

The moment you got an early copy available, you got my cash. Who am I kidding, though? You always got my cash.

Affixiation 05-28-2014 05:36 PM

Soldak games are always a buy for me. Looking forward to what you guys will cook up this time.

ValdainTheKing 06-05-2014 12:50 PM

I have been trying to mention this a few games back but it doesn't seem like it will change. I will mention it anyway. I think that there needs to be a definitive end of each difficulty like in other action/rpgs. In diablo 1 and others, there is 1 thing that stays the same (the end game boss) Everything else is different. It makes much more sense to have that.

When you don't have that its just one random thing after another. It makes me never want to play after level 25 because there is nothing to look forward to challenge wise.

Depths of Peril kind of had this with quests. Dins didn't. Drox operative didn't either. I have played to level 23 in dins and completed normal but after that I have no real reason to keep going. Drox I only played till 15 but it likely if im correct is the same.

Randomize is great. But unless there is at least some derivative story even if small, the game just is unplayable past norm for me. Can the main boss for each difficulty be the same?

MasterMorality 06-08-2014 02:45 PM

Interesting. I always had the almost exact opposite. For me the random stuff worked really well purely because the narrative that could emerge over the period of the game was something that really drove me forward. The way in which the different aspects of a Soldak game can come together and interact with one another, thereby creating emergent gameplay, has always drawn me in. Little story lines emerge of their own accord. I like that there's no specific narrative.

On a sort of side note, I really disliked Torchlight I's boring monsters - they had their specific abilities, including the bosses, but when you knew what you were getting, you knew what you were getting. There was no moment where I felt like the monster I came across was a different monster from the same thing I'd previously seen.

However, there's undoubtedly ways of, if one wanted to, create storylines - Not dissimilar to how other Soldak games do it. I'm going ot go completely away from any specific game type, so this is incredibly generally but:

There are basically, I think, seven basic story kinds. They all essentially come down to wants and desires. If you gave NPCs their individual wants -and they've got to be at least embodied by physical objects or things - and have them attempt to get their desires in one way or another - physical violence and force, coercion - threatening, bargaining, flattery, etc - or lying, cheating and stealing - you'd end up with a very rough story. Apologies for the run on sentence. These are kind of the broad ways of going about obtaining something.

Eg: Tom wants power. What physical object embodies Tom's desire for power? A Throne. Tom wants to sit on the throne, thereby completing his mental desire, and demonstrating it physically with an action and a result.

How does Tom go about this? Let's say he isn't very strong, doesn't know how to handle himself, but he's charismatic. He gets together with a small group of people who dislike the current king, they all hatch plot together. They find some wealthy backers, or they are the wealthy backers, and they buy an army of mercenaries and those mercenaries usurp the king by killing his armies and carving path or Tom to ascend the throne. Tom didn't have to raise a finger, he just had to talk a lot and then walk up to the castle, shove the king off the throne and sit on it himself. Goal achieved.

A real story is obviously a lot more complex, but for the purposes of demonstration, and for emergent video game narratives, this kind of thing works. The player will fill in the blanks themselves.

lizzyinthesky 06-26-2014 03:41 AM

Sounds interesting as usual, your games are an interesting little niche that I find fascinating and fun. With what you learned in clean UI with Drox I'll probably be all over this. Just bought Din on the steam sale finally having loved the demos ages ago so I'll be following this closely :)

(name here) 08-22-2014 12:16 AM

So, if this is a zombie game set in the DoP/DC world, that means Orcs can't return as zombies, right? Are they going to be avaliable clan members or maybe making a big resurgence courtesy of being exempt from standard zombie apocalypse rules while everyone else is dealing with bites and such?

Incidentally, that bit with Draaien outfoxing Cigilo by remembering his creation myth was one of my favorite bits of worldbuilding.

Shadow 08-22-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (name here) (Post 75287)
So, if this is a zombie game set in the DoP/DC world, that means Orcs can't return as zombies, right? Are they going to be avaliable clan members or maybe making a big resurgence courtesy of being exempt from standard zombie apocalypse rules while everyone else is dealing with bites and such?

Incidentally, that bit with Draaien outfoxing Cigilo by remembering his creation myth was one of my favorite bits of worldbuilding.

Orcs are indeed immune to the Zombie infection. I'm not sure if any Orcs will be able to join YOUR clan.

Zato 09-22-2014 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 75290)
Orcs are indeed immune to the Zombie infection. I'm not sure if any Orcs will be able to join YOUR clan.

This game is obviously going to be incredibly interesting. Without a bigger flood of this kind of work the industry will pump out mediocre carbon copy crap till the end of time.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2021 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.