Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Depths of Peril game (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Loved Din's Curse is Depths of Peril worth a look? (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3794)

choasrepeated 04-29-2011 06:15 AM

Loved Din's Curse is Depths of Peril worth a look?
 
I loved Din's curse although with the steep difficulty curve towards the higher levels I'm starting to get bored of it.
I've thought about DoP in the past but was worried it is a bit old.
I was wondering is it worth a look?

DeathKnight1728 04-29-2011 08:21 AM

Even though dop is 4 years old, its still one of the best rpg games ever made. Each of the characters really come out much more as the style of fighting is different. Its basically a singleplayer mmorpg. I would recommend giving it a try, although dins might be a better game than dop, i still like dop a little more.

Bluddy 04-29-2011 08:36 AM

I would definitely recommend DoP. Even though it is similar to DC, it has a very different flavor. And I love the books and the lore that's present throughout. I wish DC had more of that.

Try the demo and you can decide for yourself.

BTW, which part of the difficulty curve is getting to be too much in DC? What kind of character are you playing and at what level? I'm interested to know for the purpose of balancing DC.

choasrepeated 04-29-2011 09:23 AM

I normally play caster charaters.
My latest one was an ice mage (due to the fire mage abilities just not having the nessecary crowd control needed to avoid getting swamped by the mid twenties). I focussed on ice mage skills with ice rain, the shatter ability and permafost, the skill that increased cold damage and teleport for quick get away. I had tried lots of different builds but thtat seemed the most effective.

By level 35 I found normal mobs could one hit kill me and by damage output was ineffecetive. This was despite setting the dungeon level to a few levels below mine. I feels that the skills do not scale well at the high levels for mages despite sinking alot of points in them.

While I understand as we start going up higher levels rebalancing skills and different equipment is needed that isn't really practical when neither defense nor offense is higher enough.

That said its a great games and I'll probably play it some more, its just frustrating when adding 11 skill points only increases damage by 10 points and there is no feasible way to increase defense to a level high enough to protect the character. As a result I get bored because playing a caster becomes pointless and I like pure casters.

Bluddy 04-29-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choasrepeated (Post 24971)
I normally play caster charaters.
My latest one was an ice mage (due to the fire mage abilities just not having the nessecary crowd control needed to avoid getting swamped by the mid twenties). I focussed on ice mage skills with ice rain, the shatter ability and permafost, the skill that increased cold damage and teleport for quick get away. I had tried lots of different builds but thtat seemed the most effective.

By level 35 I found normal mobs could one hit kill me and by damage output was ineffecetive. This was despite setting the dungeon level to a few levels below mine. I feels that the skills do not scale well at the high levels for mages despite sinking alot of points in them.

While I understand as we start going up higher levels rebalancing skills and different equipment is needed that isn't really practical when neither defense nor offense is higher enough.

That said its a great games and I'll probably play it some more, its just frustrating when adding 11 skill points only increases damage by 10 points and there is no feasible way to increase defense to a level high enough to protect the character. As a result I get bored because playing a caster becomes pointless and I like pure casters.

Cold mastery is your best friend if you're trying to go for an ice mage. It's the only way to keep up your damage output.

You might also want to try my balance mod for this particular issue. While I'm currently working on increasing passive mana regen for fighters, casters are extremely powerful (maybe even a little OP) in my mod. As an ice mage, you'll have Ice Armor that gives a huge amount of armor, and the offensive spells are really powerful too. Cold mastery is optional.

I know some people may not like me pushing my mod here, but if you find that the changes I made are good, they can serve as suggestions for balance changes which Shadow could implement in the vanilla game.

Castruccio 04-29-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choasrepeated (Post 24963)
I loved Din's curse although with the steep difficulty curve towards the higher levels I'm starting to get bored of it.
I've thought about DoP in the past but was worried it is a bit old.
I was wondering is it worth a look?

DoP is absolutely worth a look. There is a sense in which it is even more innovative and deep than DC. The "Covenant" mechanic adds a lot of strategy that just isn't present in DC.

choasrepeated 04-29-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluddy (Post 24975)
Cold mastery is your best friend if you're trying to go for an ice mage. It's the only way to keep up your damage output.

You might also want to try my balance mod for this particular issue. While I'm currently working on increasing passive mana regen for fighters, casters are extremely powerful (maybe even a little OP) in my mod. As an ice mage, you'll have Ice Armor that gives a huge amount of armor, and the offensive spells are really powerful too. Cold mastery is optional.

I know some people may not like me pushing my mod here, but if you find that the changes I made are good, they can serve as suggestions for balance changes which Shadow could implement in the vanilla game.

Thanks for that; I already use ice mastery but the advice helps.
As for the mod, I send you a pm with the details but it doesn't seem to work, I suspect I have missed a dependency.
Thanks

Draganoth 08-18-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choasrepeated (Post 24963)
I loved Din's curse although with the steep difficulty curve towards the higher levels I'm starting to get bored of it.
I've thought about DoP in the past but was worried it is a bit old.
I was wondering is it worth a look?

Personally I think it's better then DC. Cuz: You get to adventure more freely, It isn't all underground.(Wich makes it give more the feeling you got more space) It has epic stories. And you can use diplomacy with other covenants. Wich makes it feel you're not alone. The best thing it misses is Multiplayer. Wich could easily be put in DoP. I hope Shadow can put it in as an patch :)

Roswitha 10-04-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draganoth (Post 26675)
Personally I think it's better then DC. Cuz: You get to adventure more freely, It isn't all underground.(Wich makes it give more the feeling you got more space) It has epic stories. And you can use diplomacy with other covenants. Wich makes it feel you're not alone. The best thing it misses is Multiplayer. Wich could easily be put in DoP. I hope Shadow can put it in as an patch :)

You're not the first person to ask that. :)

See this thread.

scepticmale1985 10-10-2011 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 (Post 24965)
Even though dop is 4 years old, its still one of the best rpg games ever made. Each of the characters really come out much more as the style of fighting is different. Its basically a singleplayer mmorpg. I would recommend giving it a try, although dins might be a better game than dop, i still like dop a little more.

I agree with you, its great for people who do not have any companion to play with or like single player games..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.