Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   News/Blog comments (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Latest tweets (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2946)

Shadow 11-23-2010 05:40 PM

Started adding achievements today to Din's Curse: Demon War.

Shadow 11-24-2010 04:53 PM

Added 50 achievements today to Din's Curse: Demon War.

Ghost Matter 11-28-2010 08:16 PM

I'd like it if the achievements worked in Impulse(or Steam, if they accept the game) and Raptr. It'd be awesome. Good work.

Shadow 11-30-2010 05:33 PM

I need to name some new caves/dungeons in Din's Curse: Demon War, any ideas?

FloodSpectre 11-30-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 18708)
I need to name some new caves/dungeons in Din's Curse: Demon War, any ideas?

Here are some random ones I forgot to suggest a while back:
Forsaken Sepulchre
Dead Wind Catacombs
Infernal Abyss
Cyclopean Cavern
Dismal Dungeon
Domain of the Dead
Bloody Barrow
Shattered Tomb
Treacherous Passage
Ebon Mausoleum
Bloodsoaked Pit
Tyrannical Labyrinth
Mines of Misery

Greyloch 11-30-2010 06:51 PM

-Shaggoroth's Maw
-Den of Iniquity
-Undertown
-Pit of Abandoned Hope
-Death's Embrace
-Arena of <insert war/battle deity of choice>

SharpCarlos 11-30-2010 07:46 PM

Dungeon Names

1 Attachment(s)
Here, I've attached several hundred. I actually had a thousand in the file, but it was bit bigger than the allowed attachment size.

Obviously, I just threw dungeony-sounding words together at random, and I didn't even check for duplicates, so there might be some. But this little exercise got me thinking: How is Din's Curse generating dungeon names now? Are they pulled randomly from a list, or randomly generated, like the list I just created?

But then I had a REALLY interesting thought: What if the dungeon names were, at least partially, procedurally generated based on the world modifiers? Like the way that items are named. So, in much the way that a sword which does fire damage and adds to your strength might be called a "Fiery Sword of Might", a dungeon in a world that has lots of rain and undead could be called the "Haunted Dungeon of Floods" or something.

DeathKnight1728 11-30-2010 08:05 PM

Slayer's Requiem

That's all i got.

FloodSpectre 11-30-2010 09:01 PM

Not terribly fond of "<adjective> <location> of <adjective>" names myself, they sound a little too bland to me. Something about just one descriptor sounds so much better to me when I read it.

Oh, and I too had been thinking names based on world modifiers or the tileset of the dungeon would be nice, but again, I think I'd prefer full dungeon names from a list (which I think is the current system of naming) than randomly generated, and certain entries in that list might have qualifiers like "only available with Undead worldmod."

SharpCarlos 11-30-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloodSpectre (Post 18720)
Not terribly fond of "<adjective> <location> of <adjective>" names myself, they sound a little too bland to me.

True. It just SCREAMS "randomly generated name", doesn't it?

One thing I thought would be nice would be to work a random proper noun into that final spot sometimes. So, "Deadly Caverns of Gazuul", or whatever. Or maybe even stick the town name in there.