Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Kivi's Underworld Open Beta (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Editor (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073)

DaveyJJ 10-14-2008 10:49 AM

Editor

I can't download until I get home from work today ... Steve, is the editor built into the beta demo?

Shadow 10-14-2008 11:30 AM

The editor is in there, but the open beta isn't moddable and the editor won't let you save. You can layout textures and objects and figure out how most everything works though. You can also open the levels that you play in the game if you want to see fully build levels. Just a warning, you will find spoilers.

In the final game, the editor will probably unlock when you beat all of the adventures. For now though, just bring down the console (~ key), type in developer 1 and then hit enter, and then click on the editor button in the top right hand corner (if you are on the main startup screen).

DaveyJJ 10-14-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 6180)
The editor is in there, but the open beta isn't moddable and the editor won't let you save. You can layout textures and objects and figure out how most everything works though.

Excellent I'l look when I get home. Sounds fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 6180)
In the final game, the editor will probably unlock when you beat all of the adventures.

While I absolutely understand the game design rationale behind this decision (to ensure people know enough about how to make decent level, et al) I still question whether or not it's the "right" decision. For those of us who want to jump right into creating adventures instead of playing the game, or for gamers who have a spotty record of finishing games, this could be considered a bit discouraging, no?

McGlu 10-14-2008 01:49 PM

Perhaps allow the editor from the beginning, but only allow editing of completed levels.

Shadow 10-14-2008 02:00 PM

I should amend my original statement a bit. The editor will probably always be available, if you turn on developer mode. The unlock if you beat all of the adventures part is just to make it a bit more visible for normal people.

Delve 10-14-2008 02:05 PM

Aah. That's a good scheme.

DaveyJJ 10-14-2008 06:32 PM

Yup, that's OK with me to. Thanks for clarifying that Steven (still not home from work yet, argh).

DaveyJJ 10-14-2008 09:26 PM

I only see four "textures" available when you create a new area ... is that intentional? Left, right, top and bottom "sandy" looking edges of floor tiles.

Shadow 10-14-2008 09:56 PM

The default directory doesn't have many textures in it. You are supposed to change the texture directory from the textures menu, except it doesn't work in the open beta for some reason (I just checked). You can open up a level from the game though and hold ctrl and left click on a texture (when in texture mode) to copy that texture.

DaveyJJ 10-15-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 6214)
The default directory doesn't have many textures in it. You are supposed to change the texture directory from the textures menu, except it doesn't work in the open beta for some reason (I just checked). You can open up a level from the game though and hold ctrl and left click on a texture (when in texture mode) to copy that texture.

Thanks Steven. That does allow me to copy over a single texture to see. I assume that all of the additional models (crates, walls, etc) will be in the models directory too for the final version? Also, are we able to if we set a crate down for example, individually set which ones have treasure or what type/percentage chance or is that a function of the game itself?