Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Din's Curse game (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Possible Changes, Opinions, Comments (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2687)

timeh 08-22-2010 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel (Post 16268)
My concern is a lack of that a stat-based passive DPS skill for Wizards, which I think would help bring them more in line with the rest of the classes (that along with some re-balancing)

as a caster type, you're probably going to max out INT, which gives you crit

there's your stat-based passive DPS skill: higher base crit


i don't mind having to destroy healthstones etc to get past them, i just don't like how they get targeted when you're playing a ranged character when they're closer than the closest monster (using the numbers to attack, mouse to move around)

setting them friendly and adding a force attack button would help, because i also end up zapping the last healthstone i used if it's nearby when i see more monsters (because it's still selected)

Shadow 08-23-2010 12:04 PM

It's not usual that a thread gets this long before I even see it. :)

LordBlackangel: Plate does have more armor than cloth by quite a bit. Swords do more damage than daggers, but the speed differences do end up making them close in dps (daggers do have a slight dps advantage).

The only time money doesn't get picked up automatically is in multiplayer.

Healthstones are destroyable so that they can never block your path. Figuring out that something is a choke-hold is not something that is easily solved.

timeh: I'll look at healthstones getting auto targeted.

Everyone needs to remember that 90% chance to hit are for average monsters that are your level. You will not hit higher level monsters as much as you % says (or monsters with better defenses than normal).

I have modified the item stuff many times to make it better. I'm not completely happy with it yet though.

timeh 08-23-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 16318)
I'll look at healthstones getting auto targeted.

it's not healthstones... i used that as a blanket term for the regen/buff obelisks

the issue is if i'm running away pressing 1 to fire arrows at monsters chasing me, i don't like it targeting barrels, webs, etc that are closer... if i played the game "properly" i probably wouldn't run into the problem (my archer doesn't have a right click move nor do i left click on mobs to attack with him)

also, a way to avoid accidentally killing healthstones would be handy for when i forget to untarget them (eg force attack)

Bak 08-24-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 16318)
I have modified the item stuff many times to make it better. I'm not completely happy with it yet though.

I think some people are forgetting that artifacts can be found that are appropriate for low level characters. So it is quite easy to find "common" items from higher level dungeons, that are better than previously found artifacts. No easy way around that.

My request would be to make it easier to complete artifact sets. :D If someone has an artifact equipped, maybe make it slightly more likely to find another artifact from the same set, that is not already equipped? (This would be a change in which type of artifact would be found, not change the likelihood that an artifact of any kind drops.)

Archon 08-30-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel

Strange Leveling/Tier Progression - At first level I can walk through all the levels of a dungeon with no issue. As my level progresses things get inordinately more difficult. At level 20 the first level of a dungeon is exponentially more difficult and the mobs become life threatening. As the monsters get harder, my character should be becoming more powerful. This doesn't currently seem to be the case. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy the challenge and don't want to walk over the enemies, but the progression of difficulty should be uniform throughout the levels. Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?

Around level 1 you also only have a small amount of monsters per floor compared to level 20 where you may have a dozen monsters every dozen or so feet. A couple of my earlier characters were crushed around level 20 with their inferior gear. Not sure if it's just luck or the updates applied but I am usually able to find one really good weapon that takes me through levels 15 - 20 with some of my current characters.

I do agree though the curve especially at normal still needs some work. If someone wants a tough as nails experience that is what champion and legendary are for. While I don't think the standard difficulty is insane under normal circumstances I do think the standard difficulty should have a smoother curve to it. I am also in favor of more toggles that generally make the monsters more difficult for those who are currently happy with the difficulty slide.

I would also recommend everyone to read Jeff Vogel's blog entry entitled "Make Your Game Easy. Then Make It Easier" from November 19, 2009. http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2009/...it-easier.html

If you don't like clicking forum-links you can find Vogel's blog at Spiderweb's homepage, just google spiderweb software and the blog is located at the bottom center of the homepage under quick links

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel
Cave-In's - I get the feeling that the rumble-to-fall time is meant to give the opportunity for people to possibly run away, but there is never enough time for that to happen. If you can see the imminent cave-in and you're not standing right on the edge, you're going to get slammed. Perhaps we can raise the time between when the rumble begins and the cave-in occurs? The damage is also an issue here. Getting smacked for a truckload of damage you cannot dodge or see coming is not conducive to an enjoyable gaming experience.

I enjoy the extreme damage from cave-ins since it also damages the monsters quite severely when they get caught in the cave-in :D. Although I am in support of making the 'safer cave-ins' mod an official world-gen toggle since there have been a few people who don't enjoy this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel
Mana-Steal Monsters - They seem overpowered; especially Dark-Elves by way of shear numbers. I don't mind fighting a lot of monsters, but fighting a lot of Dark-Elves involves a large expenditure of mana potions for the reward, making fighting them overly tedious. Perhaps make mana-steal a special attack (1 out of 5 attacks)? Opinions?

I agree with you, I feel the disciples/priests are not very fun to fight and are tedious since they all have the mana steal ability. I think a quick fix would be add more variety to their buffs so that every disciple or priest just doesn't have mana steal.

LordBlackangel 08-30-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon (Post 16495)
I do agree though the curve especially at normal still needs some work. If someone wants a tough as nails experience that is what champion and legendary are for. I think normal should have a smoother curve to it. I am also in favor of more toggles that generally make the monsters more difficult for those who are currently happy with the difficulty slide.

I would also recommend everyone to read Jeff Vogel's blog entry entitled "Make Your Game Easy. Then Make It Easier" from November 19, 2009. http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2009/...it-easier.html

If you don't like clicking forum-links you can find Vogel's blog at Spiderweb's homepage, just google spiderweb software and the blog is located at the bottom center of the homepage under quick links

Thanks for the insightful reply - I really got a lot out of the link to Vogel's blog and I agree with it from the standpoint of a both a gamer and a writer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon (Post 16495)
I enjoy the extreme damage from cave-ins since it also damages the monsters quite severely when they get caught in the cave-in :D. Although I am in support of making the 'safer cave-ins' mod an official world-gen toggle since there have been a few people who don't enjoy this.

I think this is just a matter of Steven including a greater variety of toggles within the configuration files. There have been a lot of ideas tossed around in the forums and, although from a development point of view it's mostly being heard, I think a few additional toggles would go a long way to alleviating some gripes and groans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archon (Post 16495)
I agree with you, I feel the disciples/priests are not very fun to fight and are tedious since they all have the mana steal ability. I think a quick fix would be add more variety to their buffs so that every disciple or priest just doesn't have mana steal.

I think that's a great idea and I hope Steven implements either that or perhaps lowers the speed on the mana steal attack to be more in line with with other monster projectiles.

Magitek 08-30-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel (Post 16498)
I think that's a great idea and I hope Steven implements either that or perhaps lowers the speed on the mana steal attack to be more in line with with other monster projectiles.

I'm at the opposite end of this, I'd rather see monster projectiles bought up to the mana steal's level.
It's so rare to actually have to use a strategy against an opponent in Din's Curse.

LordBlackangel 08-30-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magitek (Post 16528)
I'm at the opposite end of this, I'd rather see monster projectiles bought up to the mana steal's level.
It's so rare to actually have to use a strategy against an opponent in Din's Curse.

I'm inclined to agree with you to some extent based on a couple of caveats. The first question that comes to mind is: How many people do you play with? Or do you play co-op at all?

This comes to mind because dodging an incoming attack in an ARPG such as this is all well and good when it's just you on the screen. When it's you and 3 other guys you can simply forget about it. Character view to fog-of-war ratio simply isn't vast enough and the tile-set simply isn't big enough for that sort of dancing, especially when toons have collision detection as they do in Din's Curse. I'm sure anyone who's playing co-op with others will see the logic in this.

A more elegant answer would be to make all projectiles conform to the same velocity standard with an overall speed-scaling factor that's variable based on a configuration setting. I think that would please both ends of the spectrum. Now I know there are some settings for projectile speed that are changeable via modding, but I don't know if there is anything more global. Perhaps Shadow can chime in here and educate us a little bit on how the game handles monster projectiles in general...

Magitek 08-31-2010 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBlackangel (Post 16532)
I'm inclined to agree with you to some extent based on a couple of caveats. The first question that comes to mind is: How many people do you play with? Or do you play co-op at all?

This comes to mind because dodging an incoming attack in an ARPG such as this is all well and good when it's just you on the screen. When it's you and 3 other guys you can simply forget about it. Character view to fog-of-war ratio simply isn't vast enough and the tile-set simply isn't big enough for that sort of dancing, especially when toons have collision detection as they do in Din's Curse. I'm sure anyone who's playing co-op with others will see the logic in this.

A more elegant answer would be to make all projectiles conform to the same velocity standard with an overall speed-scaling factor that's variable based on a configuration setting. I think that would please both ends of the spectrum. Now I know there are some settings for projectile speed that are changeable via modding, but I don't know if there is anything more global. Perhaps Shadow can chime in here and educate us a little bit on how the game handles monster projectiles in general...

I don't play much single player. I play with one or two usually.
Sometimes there isn't a great deal of a space, but you have potions, food and skills to mitigate in these circumstance, or draw opponents into a different area if you must.
I rarely get hit by projectiles simply by moving around, even in coop. All those years of Diablo 2 finally paid off, I swear :D

Kruztee 08-31-2010 04:16 AM

Interesting thread.

But please, please do not nerf cave-ins any more! :mad:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.