Soldak Entertainment Forums

Soldak Entertainment Forums (http://www.soldak.com/forums/index.php)
-   Demon War (http://www.soldak.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   A Few Questions (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4278)

caldur 09-26-2011 02:30 PM

A Few Questions

Played the game for couple days and got fascinated to it. Personally I like it better than Torchlight (can't bear with the loading), and the hybrid class setup reminds me of Titan Quest.

Just got a few questions I want to make sure of, mostly about the mages. I've done some search on the forum, but haven't found answers for them.

1. I actually experimented it, but just to double check: for hybrids such as druid/druid, the effect of two earth mastery do stack right? (As from my experience they do...btw earthquake rocks)

2. Concentration (Ice mage) works on reducing the effect of combat reduction factor of mana regen, am I right?

3. I think I've seen Shadow mentioned somewhere that Cold Mastery works on the physical portion of Shatter, though it shouldn't. So I just want to know if it has been changed since.

4. A modding issue. I tried to make a Chinese localization mod, but the game engine seemes to recognize only single byte ansi (1252, iirc) and couldn't go with unicode. Any way around to make it work?

Thank you.

Shadow 09-27-2011 08:40 AM

1) Yes, they should stack.
2) Concentration will help speed up mana regen at all times (in and out of combat).
3) I could be wrong, but I don't remember changing it.
4) The game doesn't fully support unicode so Chinese isn't going to work.

caldur 09-28-2011 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Roswitha 09-28-2011 10:01 AM

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make the game support unicode?

Bluddy 09-28-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roswitha (Post 27066)
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make the game support unicode?

From general C++ programming experience, if the game doesn't support unicode, there are quite a few changes that need to be made, and there is a lot of potential for bugs, all of which means a long development time.

Shadow 09-28-2011 12:39 PM

Yeah it's probably weeks of work. The engine does have partial support for unicode but not everything. Even with full unicode Chinese would take extra work because of how their characters and how our fonts work.

scepticmale1985 10-10-2011 03:16 AM

Development of full unicode support will be time taking I guess, not to mention it will also be vulnerable to bugs

Crisses 10-20-2011 09:17 PM

Spanish encoding

What encoding would you use for a language with funky characters? I'm trying some encodings for spanish/español and haven't been able to hit the right file encoding yet...

Shadow 10-21-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisses (Post 27368)
What encoding would you use for a language with funky characters? I'm trying some encodings for spanish/español and haven't been able to hit the right file encoding yet...

Doesn't Spanish work in just normal ascii encoding?

Crisses 10-21-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 27381)
Doesn't Spanish work in just normal ascii encoding?

Uh -- I don't think there's such a thing as "normal ascii encoding" -- There's a bunch of formats like UTF-8, Mac OS has its own, Windows Latin 1, etc. I could keep playing with saving the file in a variety of formats until I find one that works.... after UTF-8 failed I thought I would ask. File name as Español didn't work, nor do the special characters in the file. The german file works, but when I open it it looks funky in my own editor (may be because I don't have language support for german installed on my computer, or it might be the font I'm using doesn't support the umlats and such). I couldn't figure out the text encoding used in the German files.