Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Hardcore RPG
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Next after Zombasite

For the first time ever, I think we are going to work on 2 projects at once. It's not like we are going to have 2 teams or anything. I just think these 2 projects will overlap enough that we can do both at the same time fairly efficiently.

While Zombasite isn't doing as well as I would like (hopefully launching on GOG will change that some), I think it deserves an expansion. So that's one of the 2 projects we will be working on. I'm not positive what the focus of this expansion will be, but some possibilities are more classes, lots more quests, more monsters, etc. The nice side benefit of working on an expansion is that it allows me to actively work on Zombasite, so that will mean fixes, balancing, and probably even some new features here and there will sneak into the base game. If you all have things you would like to see in an expansion, please speak up!

The other project is going to be a separate game that is focused around the ideas of hardcore characters with random skills and traits, the next generation of character is evolved from his/her parents, and each world has a random setup and win conditions. The general idea is each individual character life will be fairly quick, but some amount of the character's power growth will pass on to the next generation. Also which characters you evolve from will greatly control what mix of skills the new character has. Ever want a character that could stealth, use healing spells, and shoot arrows? You should be able to do that, but it will take some time improving and evolving from the right characters. I know this is relatively vague still, but if you have any ideas or games that you would like me to look at, again please speak up!

None of this is set in stone and it is possible that I drop one or both of the projects or go in a different direction, but this is what I'm planning at the moment.

So what are your thoughts?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Amateur

As much as I like zombasite and want it to be expanded upon, you have to do what makes sense for you business-wise. So if leaving the game as it is helps, with maybe a few optimizations and fixes thrown in when needed, I don't see anything wrong with moving on from it to something else. I guess it depends on how much work is involved in these expansions.

Anyway, if a new game gets here quicker because you decided not to expand Zombasite, I don't think anyone here that likes your games would fault you for it. I think the idea for your new game sounds awesome, btw. Looking forward to it, whenever it getrs here.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 PM
Expert

Have you ever considered trying some alternative to the usual ARPG leveling for a game?

I kind of felt like Zombasite, Drox Operative, and even Din's Curse could almost manage without the traditional ARPG leveling system and have it substituted with something else.

I guess the new game you mention would already sort of do that in a way by changing how characters are built.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:20 AM
Elite

I, for one, am excited for more content or an expansion for Zombasite. I will think more about what I want from an expansion and post again in a few days. The most common critique I see is that the Zombie part of Zombasite feels tacked on, or feels like a sort of novelty. As far as I can tell from the Steam forums, most players who regularly play the game tend to turn the Zombie stuff off after the novelty has worn off. Long term play tends to make the Zombie stuff more of an annoyance than a fun feature or game play mechanic. By turning the Zombie stuff off, players are basically turning the game into Depths of Peril 2.

It is hard to say whether people turning the Zombie stuff off means that you should use the expansion to integrate the Zombie stuff deeper into the game so that it matters more, or whether you should use the expansion to focus on the non-Zombie parts of the game (i.e. the meat and potatoes ARPG mechanics) that keeps the core audience coming back. I would be surprised if an expansion focused purely on additional Zombie mechanics was met with enthusiasm. Fleshing out town management or the ARPG side of the game might be a more solid bet. One thing I have noticed is that the dungeons in Zombasite are really fun, but the player doesn't spend a ton of time in them. Maybe you could add some sort of dungeon mode that would let the player play the game as though it were sort of a Din's Curse 2 (the way turning off Zombies makes the game a sort of Depths of Peril 2).

I am sorry to hear it hasn't sold as well as you would like, but maybe the GOG launch will help that. Also, it seems like most (if not all) mid to small size indies are struggling. Given the poor condition of the mid to small size indie market, I suspect Zombasite is faring better than games from studios of a similar size to Soldak's.

Concerning the new game, it sounds like a promising idea. Have you played Rogue Legacy? Also (and this is further afield) Crusader Kings. These might provide some inspiration.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Paul1290 View Post
Have you ever considered trying some alternative to the usual ARPG leveling for a game?
Not really. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of skill use leveling (whatever it's called).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
Concerning the new game, it sounds like a promising idea. Have you played Rogue Legacy? Also (and this is further afield) Crusader Kings. These might provide some inspiration.
I have played Rogue Legacy. I'll have to put Crusader Kings on my list of games to look at.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Elite

Crusader Kings has a highish learning curve, but it does have a tutorial. The reason I suggest it is that it has a system of heirs who inherit random traits of the ruler, and the world is dynamic. Might provide some inspiration for the mechanics of the new.game.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Not really. As a general rule, I'm not a fan of skill use leveling (whatever it's called).
I meant more along the lines of trying something aside from the player character levelling or skill improvements.

Like maybe the player character is trying to build up an organization or make improvements to their part of the world or something.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:44 AM
Champion

More Zombasite expansion musing:

Most of us love the different random aspects that Soldak worlds supply. However, there's also a lot that is just way too static. Clan towns are all the same. While the clans themselves have plenty of character and differentiation, I feel like we could go much further with that, that would make allying with X clan so much more important due to some facet of their specific clan that you need, rather than where they are on the power comparison and such. Some clan-specific things were added during the beta period, but I feel like these can go a lot deeper. There could be clan-specific quests (or maybe clan aspect-specific if we don't want to spoil what clans are in the world and/or don't want to wait until they're discovered to make the quest available), and make them worthwhile to do. I feel like this was done better in Drox Operative.

I mentioned perhaps being able to swap out jobs/skills for your clan members -- this seems like a good place to implement some sort of unlock or tree system. Maybe an NPC skill could be selected (and maybe there is only one or two per NPC that could be changed), and you are given a choice of 2 or three randomized alternate skills, which each have different requirements -- maybe they spawn a quest, maybe the NPC needs to go adventuring with you and kill X number of monsters, maybe they need to meet another neutral NPC or allied clan member that has the target skill to learn it, but SOMETHING that makes this a process that has to be thought out and executed upon, not in a grindy fashion, but not in a way which lets you spam new skills all the time trying to roll that "perfect" NPC. Maybe there's a timer that doesn't allow this to happen more than once a game hour, or perhaps you can only do it once per available slot or something.

The game is touted as taking place during a zombie apocalypse, however I really don't get that feel anywhere. The way the towns are laid out and look, there is none of that gritty "grasping at every last piece of humanity to survive" aspect that I would expect. Towns just look like towns. The little shacks and carts you find out in the wilderness are "normal". Clearly this is in a low tech fantasy world, so I'm not expecting it to look like Fallout here, but things seem a little too "run of the mill" for it to be in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Why isn't the single entrance to my town area better defended with chopped down trees and makeshift traps, for instance? Why are we happy with letting any old zombie come waltzing up to our gates? Why not manned guard towers to deal with these threats? (Better put an archer or magic user in them though, Mr. Sword isn't going to do much -- unless there are different types of towers [again, upgradeable]).

I don't want to repeat myself too much, but actual customization and personalization of town I think would be huge. Extended town management activities, that could be optional, would be cool. Spawn a quest that ultimately upgrades your walls (both visually AND effectively). (Maybe walls can be breachable, rather than only at the gates.) Be able to spawn a quest that would place some sort of simple turret-like structure near a gate (and hey, you have four gates). And these are upgradeable through quests as well. The available pool of these types of quest per world should be limited, so you can't just go through a ton of them.

The prospect of starting a world, playing through it, finding the few town-upgrading quests that the world randomly offers and completing them, then advancing to the next town with a new set... that sounds very appealing to me. The not knowing what you'll be able to improve this time around is fun, and the personalization is welcomed. Maybe these type of quests could also be a choice, when they're available, they're a choice between two or three different options, not necessarily for the same base structure or whatever either. This gives the randomization aspect along with the ability to build out your town how you see fit.

The pedestals just sitting out are not just unintuitive, they don't really make sense. Find a better way to deal with these (in a building like DoP?). Probably makes sense to put the stashes back in there too... who leaves that stuff just sitting on the ground in the center of town?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Expert

Lightbulb Suggestion for Zombasite expancion

New classes,monsters,quests quite nice
1)As been already mentioned,i too hope to see monsters from Depths of Peril and Din's Curse(Daemon War expansion),so are they clans if will be
2)if it possible the opportunity to start new world from a different part of the map,not always from left corner
3)jungle,desert,forest terrains we have in game already, so we need snowy ones
4) also if possible add buildings and ruins from Depths of Peril for the entourage to the world,or new more suitable

If I think of more I'll add to the list
Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
In our next game, characters and worlds are separate, so you will be able to have multiple characters play in the same world.
Tell us more, tell us moare ! Not about separate stuff, but about the game. What is iiiiiiiit ?