Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Kivi's Underworld  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Amateur

Default Influence

I read this blog entry, and it sounded really cool. If it indeed works like that it would mean a truly unique thing! Many has tried but none has managed to make this kind of game except maybe (nethack). I have seen too many ambitious RPG projects full of promises that has underdelivered so badly and promised so much though... so I will not believe it until I see it!

I have to admit I haven't read up so much else about the game, and perhaps this has been already mentioned... but it says that "My lifestone was almost out of energy" and finally I died but it wasn't a complete loss in this run because I picked up some set items. I am wounder it means

1. Saving system is like diablo 2... and once your lifestone dies?? game over??
2. You can still keep your items after?

Now about the influence and invading monsters? By ignoring it means you get some kind of warning about the attacking monsters but you choose to ignore it?

About recruitments I really really like the idea of recruting your own guards and followers.. but I am woundering what kind of limits there are to this.. maybe you are limited to a fixed number of followers and guards etc etc?

Finally I have to say like it could make for an amazing multiplayer experiance.......... ? each person having his own Covenant etc etc.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Elite

Wecome to the forum, Dakiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakiar View Post
I have to admit I haven't read up so much else about the game, and perhaps this has been already mentioned... but it says that "My lifestone was almost out of energy" and finally I died but it wasn't a complete loss in this run because I picked up some set items. I am wounder it means

When your lifestone is destroyed, the current game you are playing is over. You take your character, your recruits and your items with you into a new game.

Quote:
Now about the influence and invading monsters? By ignoring it means you get some kind of warning about the attacking monsters but you choose to ignore it?
One type of quest available is to kill a named monster out in the wild. After time passes, if no one kills him, he forms a group of named monsters. Again, after more time, if no one has killed them, they send monsters to attack the town. So yes. You can ignore anything you want, but most of the quests lead to something else if left alone.

Quote:
About recruitments I really really like the idea of recruting your own guards and followers.. but I am woundering what kind of limits there are to this.. maybe you are limited to a fixed number of followers and guards etc etc?
You can have upto four guards and five followers. You can replace them at anytime (like when you find someone better).

Quote:
Finally I have to say like it could make for an amazing multiplayer experiance.......... ? each person having his own Covenant etc etc.
I compeletly agree.

Delilah Rehm
Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Our saving system is like Diablo 2. Yes, if your lifestone is destroyed then that game is over, but like Delilah already said, you can always start a new game with the same character. Just about everything carries over into the new game like your character, your items, and your recruits.

Quote:
Now about the influence and invading monsters? By ignoring it means you get some kind of warning about the attacking monsters but you choose to ignore it?.
The game will warn you about anything major that happens in the game and offer you quests about most of it like monster uprisings and unique monsters that have been spotted. You can ignore every quest in the game if you want to though. However, many of the quests will cause more and more problems until someone does something about it. This is usually you, but not always.

Sorry that these responses took so long btw. I wasn't meaning for anyone to be able to post new threads in the news/blog forum, so your thread got stuck in the moderation queue. New threads in any of the other forums will get posted immediately though without needing moderation.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Amateur

Talking multiplayer option

I see you skirted away from the mentioning of multiplayer play. Is this something you might add in future developments?? I know me and James would play them together...I think there's great potential there.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

I wasn't really meaning to skirt around the multiplayer issue. I also think the game would be a lot of fun in multiplayer. I'm really hoping to add multiplayer support in the first expansion pack.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Amateur

Thumbs up Lookin' Good!

Holy Macaroni! I played the demo, and this looks like it will make an awesome multiplayer game! I'm afraid I find games quite unsatisfying without human competition and won't be buying it until then. Some humble ideas: Quests that only reward the first person should come in small bursts so that there are too many at once for one person to hog them all. People should be able to pick one of the bonuses that the computers currently get two of.
There needs to be some balancing/nerfing of raids. Raids should not be allowed to go on endlessly-perhaps they should require some kind of upkeep to the attacker? Or maybe after the raid the offensive team(s) will suffer a fatigue penalty related to the length of the raid, leaving them less able to defend afterwards the longer they spent attacking. Guards should have much more health since a 2v1 is extremely easy to bring about in a six player game, but to avoid turning a 1v1 into a stalemate the number of guards should be limited to the number of covenants still alive.
And to add that false hope to a nearly dead player, when your lifestone is destroyed you should be able to play until you die once more, avoiding town and living off of wandering vendors! Throw in the capability to rebuild a lifestone by paying a very high, level-based cost and/or by completing a quest that requires the help of an allied covenant and you can have people begging, screaming, and running until their last breath. XD
Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I wasn't really meaning to skirt around the multiplayer issue. I also think the game would be a lot of fun in multiplayer. I'm really hoping to add multiplayer support in the first expansion pack.
Sweet.

Do you have a rough timeframe for this? Any other features you care to mention Shadow?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Pwn View Post
Quests that only reward the first person should come in small bursts so that there are too many at once for one person to hog them all.
I am not sure what you mean. I usually find there are plenty of quests to go around, unless one or more quest givers have been killed.

Quote:
There needs to be some balancing/nerfing of raids. Raids should not be allowed to go on endlessly-perhaps they should require some kind of upkeep to the attacker? Or maybe after the raid the offensive team(s) will suffer a fatigue penalty related to the length of the raid, leaving them less able to defend afterwards the longer they spent attacking.
Well, since the attackers lifestone is being damaged with every attackers death, I consider this a form of upkeep. Also, other unfriendly covenants tend to take advantage of lengthy damaging raids by kicking you while you are not at home.

Quote:
Guards should have much more health since a 2v1 is extremely easy to bring about in a six player game, but to avoid turning a 1v1 into a stalemate the number of guards should be limited to the number of covenants still alive.
Yes, guards are sometimes too easy or too hard to kill, but there are other options to get rid of them (eg. cut the oppositions taxes so they can't afford guards).

Quote:
And to add that false hope to a nearly dead player, when your lifestone is destroyed you should be able to play until you die once more, avoiding town and living off of wandering vendors! Throw in the capability to rebuild a lifestone by paying a very high, level-based cost and/or by completing a quest that requires the help of an allied covenant and you can have people begging, screaming, and running until their last breath. XD
That sounds pretty cool. Certainly would add an element of desperation...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
Sweet.

Do you have a rough timeframe for this? Any other features you care to mention Shadow?
Uh, my last comment in this thread was from last August and before we were finished with Depths of Peril, so don't read too much into it.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Elite

Uh, whoops. Didn't realise I was participating in thread necromancy...