How to change your character's or covenant's name
I have been trying to change my character's name and covenant's name ever since I fell in love with this game and regret naming them such dumb names!
Well last night I figured it out how to change your covenant’s and character's name at any time!
There are two things I need to say before we begin, First I would HIGHLY recommend you download a program called Notepad++. It is what I used to make these changes and I can’t guarantee they will work with Wordpad or Notepad.
Notepad++ download link:
Second, please make a backup of your user folder! You wouldn’t want anything to go wrong and have messed up files.
Ok now let’s start with the easy one:
Changing your covenant’s name
1. Open up the C:\Program Files\Depths Of Peril\User\chars folder.
2. Open the .CHR file of the character who controls the covenant you wish to change.
3. Scroll down to the second to last line of the list and find your current covenant name.
4. Type the new name you want your covenant to have.
IMPORTANT: You only have 15 spaces to use, do NOT go past that!
5. Save and close the file… and voila, that’s it! Enjoy your new covenant’s name!
Now the harder one:
Changing your character’s name
1. Create a brand new character with the names you would like to have start a new world, then save and exit the game.
Now I have not tested this but it *might* be possible to pick a different class than your original one but I think the skills would get messed up at the very least.
2. Open up the C:\Program Files\Depths Of Peril\User\chars folder.
3. Open the .CHR file of the original character and the new character you just created.
4. On your brand new character, delete everything after the first nul past your character’s name.
5. Change to HEX view for both files, it’s much easier!
6. You should see something like this (…ChickenFeathers. in the beginning for both files, just different names.
7. On the original character, select all the text and copy it, then change to the new character and paste at the end of the text.
8. It should look something like this, if you wanted to change KillDude into ChickenFeathers: (…ChickenFeathers.(…KillDude....…..H.
9. Now highlight and delete (…KillDude. So now it looks like this: (…ChickenFeathers....…..H.
10. Save and close the files, now lets move on to the other files.
11. The .HIS .MAP and .WLD files are all the same, delete the new character’s text and copy and paste the original character’s text into the file.
12. And there you have it. A Character who is a copy of your original character, just with a new name!
There might be an easier way to do this, but I haven’t found one yet.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask away.
ChickenFeathers, Level 8x Warrior, Leader of Raven's Nest.
I did it, I found out how to rename them!!
Click here to find out how.
Want to know how to change your covenant's icon?
I'm partial to Ultraedit myself.
I adore Ultracompare as well, but most people probably won't see the point of the second utility.
//TODO: Insert witty one-liner here.