Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Kivi's Underworld  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Champion

Default Question to dev

Shadow, what is your opinion about the model used by Crate (for Grim Dawn)? I'm referring to the 'pay for development' model; people can buy the game during the early stage (way before release) to help fund development. Is that something you think might work in your situation?

I know that Crate isn't depending on this pre-buy money (I believe they said it actually was a small percentage of the total amount of money that they are spending on the game) but at the very least it has helped them get exposure, because of this somewhat exotic approach.

I have ordered the deluxe edition of Grim Dawn quite a while ago (my name in the credits!), despite the risk. I liked the idea, and Crate's pedigree. I'd be very willing to do the same for any Soldak game.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is an interesting model, but personally I don't like receiving money in return for a promise. I don't like this from both perspectives. From the gamer's perspective: there is really no guarantee that the game will be finished or a game that you will actually enjoy. Most indie games are never released. From the developer's perspective: you are now much more limited to what you can create because you have promised actual paying customers what you are selling to them.

We were joking about making a Train Sim game during the fan day (Steve did some artwork for Microsoft's Train Sim franchise). I said if I was doing it I would really quickly let you take the train off of the track which essentially makes it a really big truck and that any game we make in the future is likely to have a dynamic world. After thinking about it for a moment, it occurred to me that this now sounds a little like Grand Theft Auto. Well most people that prepurchased Train Sim are going to be pissed when they get Grand Theft Auto.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Champion

Indeed, point taken. Still, in the case of Grim Dawn, the design and game-type were pretty clear from the start, so the choice for me as an action-rpg lover wasn't that hard. If the dev says 'we're gonna make an action-rpg' it's easier to go for that than if they would be saying 'we're gonna make a cool game'. It does indeed limit the dev in the sense that the promise must now be made real, but I was getting into this knowing my money might be gone. I simply felt like supporting them, and was hoping to get a good game out of it.
But yes, if Grim Dawn would turn out to be GTA I'd be pretty pissed off...
Thanks for your insights.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

I should have mentioned that I think that model works better for the Grim Dawn guys. I suspect Grim Dawn is going to be very similar to Titan Quest. They aren't likely to stray too far and that's what prepurchasers are expecting.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
We were joking about making a Train Sim game during the fan day (Steve did some artwork for Microsoft's Train Sim franchise). I said if I was doing it I would really quickly let you take the train off of the track which essentially makes it a really big truck and that any game we make in the future is likely to have a dynamic world. After thinking about it for a moment, it occurred to me that this now sounds a little like Grand Theft Auto. Well most people that prepurchased Train Sim are going to be pissed when they get Grand Theft Auto.
LOL - that made me think of Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs