Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Kivi's Underworld  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Amateur

Default Gripes with the game

I'll get straight to it and talk about the skills here and if possible get them hopefully changed or improved. I really like this game and want to see it imrpove.

The Fire mage's fire elemental has a 2 minute reuse time but only last 30 seconds. The problem here is it doesn't last forever like the warlocks or necromancers summons this is a big problem because whats the point of this spell then? Not only doesn't it last long not even long enough for 1 fight but you can't cast the thing for 1 and a half minutes later. Not to mention it starts off at 8 points requirement that is very steep. This skill seems useless and it shouldn't be. Yes it's powerful IF you spend half your point on it to keep it at your level only problem is a caster can't afford to spend points on skills that won't help him most of the time.

I'll try to keep this short and just talk in general here. A lot of the skills seem useful but almost all of them suffer from high reuse time but low duration and it's not like putting more points in them increases the duration, this is a BIG problem because if you spend half your points on that skill you don't want to be caught 80% of the time not using it. Examples :Arcane Focus, Magic Shield, Holy Shield, Energy Shield, Kodiak, ect
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Amateur

Also the hunger on npcs seems to be way to high and too often it would be better if they don't go poor all the time.

This is something I wish would be added into the game and that is town guards. Not overly powerful ones just meat shields that has more health than the normal npcs so that they can buy you some time to run back to town after you have used up your stone.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Legend

If you've been playing for a while, you might want to try out my balance mod. I've dealt to different degrees with most of the stuff you mention here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariul View Post
The Fire mage's fire elemental has a 2 minute reuse time but only last 30 seconds. The problem here is it doesn't last forever like the warlocks or necromancers summons this is a big problem because whats the point of this spell then? Not only doesn't it last long not even long enough for 1 fight but you can't cast the thing for 1 and a half minutes later. Not to mention it starts off at 8 points requirement that is very steep. This skill seems useless and it shouldn't be. Yes it's powerful IF you spend half your point on it to keep it at your level only problem is a caster can't afford to spend points on skills that won't help him most of the time.
8 points isn't that much in the long run -- you get around 1000 points over the whole game. The main problem with this skill is that, like all pet skills, you need to constantly invest to keep the level of the pet up. I've changed it so that all pets are around your level (for various reasons mentioned in my balance mod thread). The fire elemental starts out close to your level and only goes up from there, but he's still not always available (like in the vanilla game). I may need to increase his time to live though -- 30 seconds is pretty short now that you mention it.

Quote:
I'll try to keep this short and just talk in general here. A lot of the skills seem useful but almost all of them suffer from high reuse time but low duration and it's not like putting more points in them increases the duration, this is a BIG problem because if you spend half your points on that skill you don't want to be caught 80% of the time not using it. Examples :Arcane Focus, Magic Shield, Holy Shield, Energy Shield, Kodiak, ect
I try to keep reuse times short in the mod. I agree that one thing people hate is having to wait around forever to reuse a skill. I do think these spells should last only part of the time though: the point of shield spells is that you have to budget them (unlike real armor or HP).

Also, in the mod, you're not as pressed for points as a mage as you are in the vanilla game -- you can quite easily invest in several spells.

Just a note though: I'm (slowly) working on rebalancing the mage spell powers in the mod, as they were last balanced when I started the mod a long time ago. As a result, they're currently too powerful relative to the monsters.

I also tried to deal with NPC hunger and to reduce the chance of them dying from it, or of being dirt poor.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Amateur

Hi Bluddy I've actually been looking at your mod and yeah it seems like you've got everything covered but it would be nice to see these changes in the game itself. The reason why I say this is people(friends) look at the demo and then go well this isn't right and doesn't buy the game which is sad. It is rare to find a rpg that is multiplayer ,doesn't require a internet connection , played over LAN with persistent characters and the mechanics of this game is what people want.
I'd bet if soldak made another expansion and added and improved on the game the game will take off.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Amateur

It would be nice to hear the developers thoughts on this...
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariul View Post
It would be nice to hear the developers thoughts on this...
Shadow (with input from beta testers and other players like yourself) is the guy who makes those decisions. I personally agree with everything you mentioned and have mentioned them before. I think (can't say for sure though) Shadow is trying hard to keep the game challenging with the re-use times, but personally I'd like to see them shorter. As far as the hunger and poverty, for me it a pain in the... So what I do at the start of every town is just give every bum money so they won't bother me for a long while - but I agree with you that it's not a particularly fun aspect of the game. Maybe we'll make another add-on someday, and those things will change. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to create a game where everyone is happy with every aspect of gameplay, but Soldak is always listening to gamers - probably much more than other developers do.

Last edited by PixelLord : 04-28-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Legend

Shadow's sitting on a pretty huge patch for DC which hopefully he can complete and release once the Drox beta is out.

While balance modifications are out of the question - that takes a continuous, ongoing (and almost never-ending) process, I think the hunger stuff can probably be addressed. If starving NPCs only die after a *long* time, and other NPCs can be made to help them more often, I think the problem will be solved. The problem with getting NPCs to help other NPCs is that the game currently does not differentiate between different quest types. So an NPC might decide to prevent another NPC from starving, or he might decide to collect stuff for one of your collection quests instead -- they're treated the same way. Because of this, you can't increase the percentage chance that NPCs will solve quests by too much -- they'll be solving all of your quests for you. You have to differentiate between helping starving NPCs (any normal town will not let its citizens starve to death) and doing other quests.

The other possibility is to just makes it such that NPCs can't die from hunger. They could become weaker and grouchier, but not dead.

Last edited by Bluddy : 05-03-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Legend

BTW if Shadow does do another add-on for DC, I don't think it requires another class. Probably the weakest element of the game over time (and it's an amazing game, don't get me wrong) is that the skills don't change as you upgrade them -- you just get more of the same stuff. Instead of investing time into creating another class, skills should be allowed to change over levels. So fireball at level 8 could spit out 2 bigger fireballs, or a skeleton at level 10 could make undead critters who join your ranks. It wouldn't be too hard to do this if the current skill system was modified slightly, but of course coming up with all the extra skill effects would be a lot of work -- enough to justify it being an expansion.