Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Kivi's Underworld  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Legend

To go into a little more depth, the theme music for DC feels rustic and yet run down to me, like a backwater town that's seen better days, which describes most towns in DC. You really nailed the feeling of DC with that one IMO. It's also a track that's subtle, and I really like that.

The tracks inherited from Kivi are mostly not so great (IMO) because they are all variations on the same thing. Since every track is associated to a monster and every monster is a threat, the whole soundtrack is threatening. It's like 'on no, here come the dark elves, and they're baaaad!' and then 'Egads! It's the orcs! They're even worse!' Each track makes too much use of dramatic instruments (mostly heavy wind instruments of various forms) and dissonance to convey a level of threat to the player. Rather than picking up on a certain property of the monster and playing with it to create a theme that could carry a whole scene in the game, they're almost all equivalent to the buzzing of an alarm.

The 2 exceptions I mentioned above are more like the conventional tracks used in fantasy games to build up excitement - something that would fit in a daring escape scene - and as such they work well. They're also the tracks featured in the DC trailers.

Anyway Tori, there's a lot more subtlety to play with in Drox, and I'm sure you'll do a great job.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Elite

Hey, thanks a bunch for the support and kind words, folks! I've had an absolute blast working on these games and I've really tried to do the best I can to tailor the sounds and music to the games.

I also try to push the boundaries a little bit, so while I know not everything I do is going to be a winner, I like to make sure that I am always learning and trying new stuff. So like I said before--please feel free to let me know what you think about the sounds and music, and I absolutely appreciate critical feedback as well as positive. If a majority of folks don't like something, then it probably should be fixed (time allowing).

Also, a huge shout out has to go to Steven (Shadow) and the rest of Soldak, for allowing me to work in an environment that allows me so much artistic freedom, as well as the greatly appreciated opportunity for continued work on these amazing projects.

And of course, a massive thanks to the truly dedicated fans and players out there for your continued support through feedback, word of mouth, and most importantly, playing our games!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Elite

@Bluddy,
Thanks again for your feedback on the theme to Din's Curse!

I'm very visual, so I always try to find images or stories to compose my music to. That way I feel like I can do a better job of fitting the music to the subject, and I find that they aural and visual ideas tend to interplay better that way.