Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Elite

Default F'ing Macs Y'all!

BTW, I don't how Quicktime updates behave on Macs, but it's really starting to feel like Realplayer to me. First off, it auto-installs iTunes-I don't remember if I could uncheck it or not, but when it is a "trusted" software I usually don't read though any of the update notes, I just click yes. OK, that sucks, whatever--I'll uninstall iTunes. Whoah, now if I click yes one more time without reading, it will install Bonjour. That I can uncheck to finish, but that's sneaky-mean. Oh wait, crap now it needs to restart my computer. OK, I restart my computer for iTunes. Now I want to uninstall it. Oh sweet, now I have to restart my computer again so that iTunes can finish uninstalling.

All just because I clicked yes to a Quicktime update. Does it suck this much on Macs?

Quicktime=Realplayer 2009?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by torikamal View Post
BTW, I don't how Quicktime updates behave on Macs, but it's really starting to feel like Realplayer to me. First off, it auto-installs iTunes-I don't remember if I could uncheck it or not, but when it is a "trusted" software I usually don't read though any of the update notes, I just click yes. OK, that sucks, whatever--I'll uninstall iTunes. Whoah, now if I click yes one more time without reading, it will install Bonjour. That I can uncheck to finish, but that's sneaky-mean. Oh wait, crap now it needs to restart my computer. OK, I restart my computer for iTunes. Now I want to uninstall it. Oh sweet, now I have to restart my computer again so that iTunes can finish uninstalling.

All just because I clicked yes to a Quicktime update. Does it suck this much on Macs?

Quicktime=Realplayer 2009?

Never owned a Mac, probably never will - but iTunes is evil. My daughter installed it on my PC to use her iPod, but I just got sick of it trying to take over the day to day management of all my media files. It got embedded in everything. Such an ugly and unintuitive interface too...
Old 01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Champion

It's still better than realplayer, Itunes uninstalls when you want it to, real player doesn't exactly uninstall.

Apple have a nasty habit with their package managers, making what they consider core packages default to on for the update manager, even if there is no need for them. As a result you need to check what you update to avoid it installing iTunes, or safari without you knowing.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

I have never noticed any issues with Quicktime on the Mac, but it's in the auto updates and I already have iTunes, Safari, etc installed. So I'm not sure I would ever notice anything weird like this. On my Windows box though I uninstalled Quicktime and Realplayer a long time ago.
Patreon
Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
Never owned a Mac, probably never will - but iTunes is evil. My daughter installed it on my PC to use her iPod, but I just got sick of it trying to take over the day to day management of all my media files. It got embedded in everything. Such an ugly and unintuitive interface too...
hey I-tunes is not that bad.. It also helps to manage those hundreds of music files using a well organized and Ipod friendly interface..
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Tales View Post
hey I-tunes is not that bad.. It also helps to manage those hundreds of music files using a well organized and Ipod friendly interface..
LOL

Let us agree to differ in our opinions of the nefarious iTunes.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Elite

I really want to like Mac stuff--I really do. They make such great hardware and they make it so smartly, too. I really want an iPod and an iPhone. However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm downloading all my music from Amazon now since everything from there is DRM-free at the same price.

(I promise I don't work for Amazon)
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Expert

Quote:
I really want to like Mac stuff--I really do. They make such great hardware and they make it so smartly, too. I really want an iPod and an iPhone. However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm downloading all my music from Amazon now since everything from there is DRM-free at the same price.

(I promise I don't work for Amazon)
Your Amazon-downloaded MP3s will play on an iPod and iTunes (or any music player, I think).

I like Mac computers.

BTW, you don't have to auto-update. You can use your Mac's Software Update feature to just list what is new, then choose what to update, or even just go to Apple's update site:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/
and download what you want manually.

Jude

Last edited by Jude : 01-26-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Elite

Quote:
However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.
I've always thought of their DRM as being lax, as far as DRMs go. Could you give some examples of other DRMs that are less severe than Apple's?

Quote:
At the last Macworld, Cook announced that the hold-out record labels are finally going to allow Apple to sell the DRM-free music that Amazon was allowed to sell.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Champion

Hmmm.. Amazon? Have you tried Limewire? Or I think Limewire has no Mac support.. Anyways, don't mind me. Just keep doing the right thing.