Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Kivi's Underworld  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Elite

Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.

You can only play either non-DRM or iTunes only MP3's on an iPod. Sure, you could burn MP3's to a disc and then rip it to iTunes, or use DRM ripping software, but none of those options are very fair.

Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they cost $.30 more than the DRM version. Amazon, they are all DRM-free, same price.

BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.

You also can't directly put music you downloaded from iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.

Also, as I understand it (not that it really matters that much), using the above ways to "circumvent" the DRM is illegal. I may have misread the fine print, but that's what I thought it said.

Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the hardware is genius, but I just can't support that tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Champion

Well, 2 years back, I bought a third generation IPod Nano costing $200 exactly (Australian Bucks). I ignored the fourth gen because its small and its fat. But then suddenly a very cool fifth gen Ipod Nano Chrome appeared a year after costing only $150-195 AUS dollars with heaps of features compared to the one I bought. I regret buying too early now my IpoD. I recommend you waiting a few months because I was hearing another IPod is coming.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

This always happens with tech.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Champion

Yeah.. That's also the reason why I avoid the temptation to buy game consoles because I'm worried a PS4 or Xbox720 might come up this year or the next year.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't expect the next generation of consoles for another few years.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I wouldn't expect the next generation of consoles for another few years.
Well actually I saw the PS4 and/or ?Xbox720? will come up on 2012 or 2015. I saw that on some Sony Forums and some PC Forums. And will cost only a bit above the 3rd Gen consoles. Well, better wait for that one.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by torikamal View Post
Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.
What point are you making? That is WMA DRM.

Quote:
iTunes only MP3's
iTunes store does not sell MP3s, it sells AACs (otherwise known as MP4).

Quote:
Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they cost $.30 more than the DRM version.
Wrong. It was $.30 more the first months that DRM-free music became available, then became $0.99 just after Amazon first offered DRM-free music. And Apple's offering is higher quality. (Found a MacWorld article that discusses iTunes Plus.)

Quote:
BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.
You've said this already, and I don't see it. I asked for a little more detail, so I can see what you are seeing. While DRM-free is better than DRM, I don't see a better DRM out there.

Quote:
You also can't directly put music you downloaded from iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.
Right, because it is higher quality AAC format. iPods can play both MP3 and MP4 (both open standards), you would think that other music players wouldn't penny-pinch and provide the dual option as well.

Wikipedia: AAC's best known use is as the default audio format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format used for all iTunes Store audio.
AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.

Quote:
Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the hardware is genius, but I just can't support that tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.
Fair enough. Everyone should go to the beat of their own drummer. I just got the impression that you were blaming Apple for something that the music labels are requiring.

Last edited by Bak : 02-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Elite

--Quote:
--Originally Posted by torikamal
--Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say --Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.
--What point are you making? That is WMA DRM.

Well, I'm not a fan of WMA either--the format or the DRM. I just read that Napster is going DRM-free, too. It's funny how you toss one pebble in the pond and the ripples push out.

--Quote:
--iTunes only MP3's
--iTunes store does not sell MP3s, it sells AACs (otherwise --known as MP4).

Very true--I should have taken more time for specificity.

--Quote:
--Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they --cost $.30 more than the DRM version.
--Wrong. It was $.30 more the first months that DRM-free --music became available, then became $0.99 just after --Amazon first offered DRM-free music. And Apple's offering --is higher quality. (Found a MacWorld article that --discusses iTunes Plus.)

This is very good news!

--Quote:
--BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the --MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.
--You've said this already, and I don't see it. I asked for --a little more detail, so I can see what you are seeing. --While DRM-free is better than DRM, I don't see a better --DRM out there.

Quote:
-Originally Posted by torikamal
-You also can't directly put music you downloaded from -iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.
--Right, because it is higher quality AAC format. iPods can --play both MP3 and MP4 (both open standards), you would --think that other music players wouldn't penny-pinch and --provide the dual option as well.

Music quality is actually much more dependant on the actual compression software or hardware being used rather than the format.

--Wikipedia: AAC's best known use is as the default audio --format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format --used for all iTunes Store audio.
--AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s --PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation --Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman --Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, --Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update --installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), --the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.

--Quote:
--Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the --hardware is genius, but I just can't support that --tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.
--Fair enough. Everyone should go to the beat of their own --drummer. I just got the impression that you were blaming --Apple for something that the music labels are requiring.

It's the proprietarianism that gets me the most. You pay too much for too little and you can only really have their stuff in the way they want you to have it.

By the way, have the iPhones fixed the deal where you can only upload music by syncing an iTunes playlist?

Also, can I upload my own ringtones?

You seem very knowledable in this field, so I will pose these questions to you.