Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Din's Legacy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
No worries - monster stats are fully under our control, unlike player choices.
I was actually pretty close... surprisingly, lol. Millions of hp check. 10k+ a hit, check. Only thing that wasn't nerfed to the extent that I stated was player damage, lolol.

I wonder how good summons are now...
Old 05-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Just a quick note, these were some really big changes, so I expect some things to be out of whack. I will continue to tweak or overhaul as needed.
Patreon
Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Legend

Seeing some feedback on Steam, I suggest that the requirements on items be changed from exponential functions, which are hard to control accurately, and be set instead using direct statPerLevel overrides at the different items levels, which can be controlled with precision (ie. different linear functions). Not a big deal, but it'd give you that extra level of control.

Many of these complaints aren't warranted btw -- people have gotten used to easily mowing down level 200 monsters, which is a pretty ridiculous expectation if you're expecting the game to have any challenge at all. But you'd have a lot more control using linear functions at each item level, and be able to tweak things with precision.

To me, the fact that it's still pretty easy to kill monsters 100 levels higher than you rather than being an extreme challenge choice suggests there's quite a bit more changes to make.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:43 PM
Elite

@Bluddy

Yeah, it's always going to be hard to appeal to the casual and hardcore crowd. Path of Exile gets a lot of flack for appealing too much to the hardcore crowd, while D3 gets flack for being too casual.

Locking in a difficulty when you start a character would be a great way to please both worlds, and that's where my veteran's mode suggestion comes in.

Of course, it's possible to balance the game for both sides in Din's Legacy: to make the game start easy and gradually become hard. But, that would require weeks of work for Shadow to get right. I know, because I came very close with my "Mo Mode" for Zombasite, that rebalanced nearly every skill while rebalancing almost every aspect of combat, among many other things, and that took weeks and several scripts.

Last edited by Destro* : 05-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

In general, my goal is to be fairly easy at the beginning and more challenging as you get into higher levels, especially the higher difficult levels. And yes, some character options to make it even harder.
Patreon
Old 05-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Elite

I feel like that is a very level-headed and fair approach to balance. Thanks for sharing you insight Shadow!
Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Legend

I'd encourage you not to be discouraged by reactions to balance changes -- people tend to get used to the previous status quo, even if it didn't make sense balance-wise e.g. equipping the best armor on a hybrid class and fighting level 200 monsters easily (though it does seem like armor requirements were growing too fast, I gather.)

I'd especially encourage you to continue with improvements and address the weapon speed and damage multiplier issues I mentioned above, as they contribute to a large degree of melee overpower in the higher levels.

Great job so far!