Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Amateur

Default Question about modding

Hi there,

I was pleased to see that a modding SDK has been released. Although it isn't helping me, it's at least a hint the game is modder-friendly. I've looked a bit into the files (database mostly) and tried to alter some.

My question is, is it possible to add new classes? I tried creating the "Assassin"-class, but without success so far. What I did: copying and the entries for the rouge-class and -base-class, altering them to what I wanted them to be, adding the needed strings and creating a button in the character-creation-menu. However, the description in the menu shows the one of a warrior, and the created character was no assassin at all.

It might have to do something with the "Index" of the base-classes, and it seems that the game performs a "modulo 4" operation on this parameter, for my character was a warrior (index 0) if I set the index to 4 and a priest (index 2) if set to 6.

So, my question, is it possible at all to add a new class? Or are there hardcoded restrictions and I have to alter one of the existing classes?

Greetings
Old 12-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think the class stuff does still have some hard coded restrictions. I'll have to go and see how difficult it would be to fix this.
Patreon
Old 12-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Amateur

That would be great.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Amateur

How can I convert *.ctx files to *.tga and vice versa?

I'm bored of my covenant banner
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Currently there is no way to convert from ctx back to tga, but the game should automatically convert tga files to ctx for you if it finds any tga files that are newer than the same named ctx file.
Patreon
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Amateur

Ok, then could you please give me the specs the TGA has to meet to be DoP compatible. What is the pixel format of the covenant banners?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Tga files in general need to be 24 or 32 bit depending on if alpha is needed. Don't use the compressed tga type. I don't think anything else is really special.

In the case of the player covenant icon, you want to replace Textures/Icons/Covenants/player.tga. Don't replace it directly in the old zip. Just have the loose file or add a new zip file (just make sure the directory is still correct). The actual tga needs to be 32 bit since it uses alpha and it should be 128x128 in size.
Patreon
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Amateur

Eureka! Thanks for the info Shadow, I made a logo for my covenant that is called Manus Dei, that's Hand of God in latin, here is a cropped screenshot:

Do you like it?

p.s. Where can I edit the food and potion cost?

Last edited by Rexferitus : 12-20-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

The icon looks pretty cool.

I believe to change the values for food and potions, you need to go into Database/systems.gdb and change the values for ValueEachPointHealthChangeOverTime and ValueEachPointHealthGain.
Patreon
Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The icon looks pretty cool.

I believe to change the values for food and potions, you need to go into Database/systems.gdb and change the values for ValueEachPointHealthChangeOverTime and ValueEachPointHealthGain.
Once again, thanks for your much appreciated help and thanks to you and the rest of the crew for making such a great game, it has been a while since I played a good hack and slash RPG, like Sacred, tho I got to admit I like Depths of Peril more