Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Elite

Between AI it seems to always go straight to raiding with no prior declaration of war.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Amateur

I'd like to see modes patterned after two of my favorite Magic: the Gathering multiplayer variants: "Emperor" and "5 colors of Magic".

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x.../rules/emperor
Emperor is played by 6 players with three on each team. In each team one covenant would be the emperor while the other two are guards. Emperors cannot raid while each guard may only raid the guard across from them.

I can't find a link to "5 colors of Magic" anywhere, but the idea is that there's 5 covenants arranged in a pentagon and each one wins by defeating the two across from it. That way you share an enemy with each neighboring covenant.

Both of these ideas keep alliances from changing which could improve cooperative multiplayer. Since the humans would have no intention of attacking each other it would be fair if the AI had fixed alliances too.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Champion

Default Broken Record Question?

Howdy,

Just popped in again (lots of RL action) to see if there is any further info of an expansion?

Hopefully it will have multiplayer, more monsters (unless some folks made some 3D models), more than one town (to build a WoW like world...), and some of the excellent ideas already mentioned on this forum. Hope to be back more soon...

Have a good one,

GB
Old 07-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Amateur

3 things I've been thinking about:

1: I agree with people who have mentioned that populating Jorvik would make it feel like less of a ghost town. I think a really dynamic way to do this would be to populate Jorvik with the barbarians who go renegade or get killed and need to be avenged in the quests. That way not only would Jorvik seem more lifelike, but also when Hildigunn goes renegade or Saski's mother dies and needs to be avenged, your character will be like "NOOOOO!!!! not Hildigunn! not Saski's mother!" If this was implemented, the new civilians would have to be designed so they wouldn't nerf town attacks which are one of the most fun parts of DP. Maybe they wouldn't be allowed to attack, only die, or maybe there would just be more and stronger town attacks.

2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds. I think it would add some of the edge of normal Hardcore without all the risk (purple energy traps for instance).

3: There are a few exploits with trading (I'm sure Shadow is aware of most of them). The one that bugs me the most is when I trade with a covenant and milk a ton of influence and crystals out of them in return that I raid someone, when I hit "offer" and it goes through, I receive all the bounty, but my relationship is not set to raid for the enemy covenant. One can also possibly do this over and over and over again milking the covenant dry without ever having to raid. This should be fixed so that as soon as you trade for the "raid..." option in the trade screen, you are instantly teleported with your covenant into the enemy house. You also shouldn't be able to cancel the raid for 15 seconds or so.

Sorry I've rambled on... I feel like I have more thoughts that I'm forgetting, but these were the biggest annoyances to me. Great game though, especially since Diablo II no longer runs on MacBookPros.

Oh, one final thing (promise): All items would be enhanced 100% if there were some enchantments that did more than just boost stats (it's a little too vanilla this way. Strategy for choosing which items to use is a little watered down):
freezing, % chance to cast a spell or buff on hit, slowing creatures, extra crushing blow critical or deep wounds, life steal, energy steal, bonus damage to specific creature type (think Corpse Eater Bane).
It's probably way too much work, but if Shadow ever gets a long weekend with nothing better to do....
Old 07-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Avenger View Post
2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds. I think it would add some of the edge of normal Hardcore without all the risk (purple energy traps for instance).

3: There are a few exploits with trading (I'm sure Shadow is aware of most of them). The one that bugs me the most is when I trade with a covenant and milk a ton of influence and crystals out of them in return that I raid someone, when I hit "offer" and it goes through, I receive all the bounty, but my relationship is not set to raid for the enemy covenant. One can also possibly do this over and over and over again milking the covenant dry without ever having to raid. This should be fixed so that as soon as you trade for the "raid..." option in the trade screen, you are instantly teleported with your covenant into the enemy house. You also shouldn't be able to cancel the raid for 15 seconds or so.
I'm pretty new to the game, so I'm not understanding how point #2 works. A level 5 (example) player can roll up a level 100 world and they trade with him? If that's the case, maybe all that's needed is a cap set on level difference for the AI to trade. So if you're not within a certain range of levels, the AI won't give you anything. Or put more level restrictions on what can be worn by players.

I agree with point #3. Overall, trading/diplomacy has to be tightened up a bit as it is relatively easy to increase your standing with the other covenants by dumping your junk on them throughout the game or outright giving them money/crystals. They are too willing to pay for everything you give them, no matter how worthless it is. They should be able to "just say NO" to some of the offers (no influence change).
Maybe make them a bit more aware to "spamming" of gifts. So the first time you give away things (example crystals) they jump for joy, but if you continue to just give away things (in a certain time frame maybe) it has diminishing returns on the influence gained with them - they start to get suspicious as to your "abundant generosity".

If there will be no change in the size of the city (Jorvik), then I would ask for the removal of the teleport stone for raids. The houses are close enough together and actually walking troops over could create fights along the way or just outside the target house, which may make for some more manageable fights than the chaotic madness that happens now whan your party teleports into the enemy house. They could extend (or add) positions for guards to be posted at the doors as well or set on patrol.

Extend the use of raids - stealing things from enemy houses (from their chests or relics). It would take time of course to open the chest/dislodge a relic and so you could be killed in that time by guards. This would make the thief class more useful in raids as they would have a chance to stealthily get to those areas. If the teleport stones are removed for raids, then the player has to run with his stolen goods back to his house - if killed along the way, the stolen equipment is returned. For items in the enemy chests, this can be randomly determined as to which item is stolen (snatch and run!). Of course there will be a good drop in relations with the house you stole from.

Extend the possibility of teaming with other covenants. Right now, you can only team with them if your standing with them is good enough. That's fine. But how about adding the possibility of paying them to join you for a one time mission or even for a set time frame? They could also make such a proposal to your covenant (if you have a member of a certain class/level that they could use)
"The Gilded Coin would like to hire your priest to help with a quest - payment of X and priest will be out until quest resolved/failed or 30 mins (whichever comes first)"
Of course the owning player could cancel that agreement at any time should his house come under a raid....
Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jureidinm View Post
"The Gilded Coin would like to hire your priest to help with a quest - payment of X and priest will be out until quest resolved/failed or 30 mins (whichever comes first)"
Of course the owning player could cancel that agreement at any time should his house come under a raid....
I like this idea. Looks like a convenient way to snag a little extra XP for your homebodies. Not so sure about canceling the agreement, maybe at a significant drop in relations for all covenants. Breaking your contracts can get you in trouble.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
I like this idea. Looks like a convenient way to snag a little extra XP for your homebodies. Not so sure about canceling the agreement, maybe at a significant drop in relations for all covenants. Breaking your contracts can get you in trouble.
Yes - there should be a drop if you end the contract early.
Let's even take it further.. your priest gets sent away on a contract to help another covenant (getting XP) - things go badly and now a quest pops up to rescue your priest... Hurry up or he might die.. permanently ?...
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Elite

No, he'd still be tied to your lifestone. Try this on.

The quest goes poorly, and now the AI covenant leader and your recruit are in trouble. Save thier bacon, and get a 50% bonus to your contract price and some good relations with the AI covenant; or fail and lose relations and some lifestone health. I'd say 150% of the normal lifestone loss for losing that recruit to give it some oomph as I normally wouldn't be bothered much by that penalty.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Expert

ahh - forgot about the lifestone. Yes, a sufficient lifestone hit would have to be in place for such an event.

Of course the current way of questing together (for free) would still be available once you get in good standing with another covenant.

The AI would have to know when to say "NO" to such a one time arrangement though. It could be abused to purposely try to drain an opponents lifestone without having to actually attack them. Or make it a bigger penalty for the one who made the offer.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Avenger View Post
2. Add the game mode "Hardcore (World)". Some people on the forums have complained that DP is too easy (which is completely ridiculous in the first place because DP is specifically designed so that the difficulty is completely customizable) because they get godly equipment from creating 100 lvl worlds and trading for the best gear from the other covenants. They then get smacked upside the head on the first 100 lvl raid, start a new world at their level and become gods with their new equipment. This mode would make players die permanently if they ever lose in one of their worlds.
This doesn´t stop them from simply abandoning the world after doing a round of trading. Or just before their lifestone is destroyed. You should make an abandoned world count as a loss as well for this mode to work.

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 07-04-2008 at 11:42 AM.