Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Expert

Just a minor suggestion -- semantics, really -- but I had recently started a priest that is more or less named after my wife. When I told her about it, she said that she's a priestess, not a priest. I thought about it and, if classes are always gender-specific, then it would make sense to call the class Priestess since they are always females.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Elite

Here is another thread full of suggestions for the expansion pack.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Elite

no, it has a lot more text than the non-story, and references the previous story quests in the text. also it starts with vakiol, goes through the turen arc, goes through the lute-ke'fah arc, then the ciligo arc, then the draaien arc.
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Champion

Also, the very first back pack you start off with, why cant you sell it! it holds 12, and i have one back pack that holds 14 left to put in its place, but i cant get rid of it! please make it so i can.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Champion

Blue? When i fought Cigilio and Draain, there names were this colour
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
I'm in charge of the storyline, and I'd really like more detail on this. What more (or less, as the case may be) would you like in a story line for a future game?
Let's just say that It is better to have an uber longer and dramatic storyline.. Even if the story is straight forward and linear, the important thing is players must able to finish it in a few weeks.. Also, if the future game consists of bigger maps, surely we must see bigger stories..
Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Amateur

In regards to the storyline, I think it's fine. The Dynamic quests are what I think could be improved to be even better than they are now. Mainly, I've been thinking that monster heroes are the biggest possible improvement to the Dynamic Quests. Right now they're just too common and too predictable. When I generate a typical world I almost always start with at least 2 "kill Witchblaze" types of quests. Do I know, care about, or fear Witchblaze? No. Especially not when I also have Doomhowl and Grimclaw on my grocery list as well. The ability of hero monsters to form groups is definitely a step in the right direction towards giving them more personality. I don't think them starting uprisings in unrelated map areas is effective in the same way however. Here are the ways I think monster heroes could be improved:
Only a maximum of 2 monster heroes at a time.
Much more of the Dynamic quests should relate to these heroes. This would build them a better history.
When they build groups, the leader should be much more distinctive. When I do the group quests, I rarely notice who the leader is. Maybe they could be glowing or just much more noticebly stronger than their comrades.
Perhaps give them the option to retreat to fight another day if the Player Character portals back to town, as in a "monster meeting" quest.

An example of how I imagine this:
You generate a world. Airik says, hey buddy, keep an eye out for Witchblaze. Okey Dokey. Then you notice the stealth rogue with 3 buffs for hire. Understandably distracted, when you finally return Airik's like, "damn, Witchblaze just possessed Ingleheim and made him go renegeade. They're working together in the Amber Meadow now." You're like Nooooo! As you're traveling there 2 quests pop up: Witchblaze has started a group in amber meadows AND Witchblaze has poisoned the food supply, prices have gone up. You're like "someone has got to stop this maniac". Your new stealth rogue is like "that someone is you, N00BPwnzr". You finally come to the battleground and are slaughtering Witchblaze's crew and you kill Ingleheim but right before you face Witchblaze himself you run out of your Dried Fruit. You're like "damn, need my fruit" you portal to town and thanks to the poison in the food supply your fruit costs 1 SP and you're like "damn, need my SP". You comeback and Witchblaze has run away to the Wayward desert. You spend some time questing. Next thing you know Witchblaze is attacking town with some Pixie Big Sisters. You run back but you're too late to save Katla, Oslo and his dried fruit. In the chaos, you, Airik, your rogue, and some other covenant leaders manage to bring down the monster. The food supply is no longer poisoned, the fireworks are going off, and that plate armor Witchblaze dropped is yours for the taking. After all this you can bet your backpack Witchblaze is not a name you're going to forget anytime soon. Now it's 2:30 in the morning and the circles around your eyes are starting to develop but how could one possibly leave in the middle of that madness?

I think DP is the most fun when you really get locked into one of the dynamic quests, whether it's the Warmaster being kidnapped or a meeting between 2 monsters, the more layers that I have to unravel the better. A hero monster has great potential to be more than just a randomly generated baddy. It has the potential to become an unforgettable villain for Depths of Peril Players everywhere.

Last edited by Crimson Avenger : 08-08-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Cool writeup Crimson Avenger.
Patreon
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

You can at least swap out the original backpack and store it in one of your others.
Patreon
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Elite

Crimson Avenger --- Niiiiice! I really like your ideas.

If I do something like this in the future, I could also make short stories for the hero mosters, giving them even more personality (for those who like the stories). I have a really good story for Turen and Ciglio called Zombie Deadfall, but my favorite is still the introduction of Ciglio, a contest winning story called Double Edge.