Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Elite

Default Hello all! Great stuff here!

Greetings and salutations to everyone here! I'm a huge fan of indie games, and I downloaded the DoP demo many months ago, but never got around to seriously sitting down and giving it a try. Well just now I got kinda bored, so I finally gave it a good 20 minutes of play.

So far, for an indie game, I'm really impressed by what I see. The game looks very well polished - something that's sorely lacking in many indie games. The first thing that struck me was how well made the interface was. It was comprehensive, pretty and well done generally, so kudos to the team for that! Next on, the graphics may not have bloom, HDR and dynamic lighting with sparkles everywhere, but they work well enough, and it's very pleasing to the eye. Jorvik looks like an underdeveloped town, which is very fitting for a barbarian town

I can see now why this game gets so much acclaim. One thing though: I am rather confused about the storyline. I was a bit taken aback by the tutorial NPC and not a very detailed explanation of the game at first. The tutorial NPC felt really out of place in an otherwise immersive gameworld; plus, most of the other NPCs dialogues didn't offer anything interesting of note. It was only until I started reading up on the website's guide, that I realised the world was known as Aleria etc. I was wondering if the full game will open up more of the storyline? I'm quite impressed by the game's politics and the depth of strategy involved in what is otherwise a hack n slash. Will there be more intriguing conversations to talk about?
Old 09-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Expert

To be honest, most people don't come to hack and slash to find great story. Anything more than "Kill this monster and find that item for me" will be added bonus, but if you want engaging story, there are plenty of other rpgs with great storylines. I can think of Planescape Torment for one.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite

Thanks. Before I actually gave the demo a shot, I didn't really read up much on DoP, so I wasn't aware that it's a proper hack n slash
Old 09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you want more of the story make sure to read the books that you find in the game and the history on the different places and different monsters in the game.

As for quests/storyline type stuff, Depths of Peril is a bit lighter than other games because most of it is dynamic.
Patreon
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Elite

Thanks. I guess I've been too spoilt by RPGs with storylines. I think DoP is still a pretty awesome game thanks to the diversity of the gameplay, and I'll probably get the full version sometime this week once my pay comes in
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Elite

You can turn on bloom in the options. Welcome to the boards!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Expert

Bloom is teh evil...