Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Amateur

Default Legend - unique items

Hi, well, general question - why are these items the way they are?

Most people (all of them?) looks mostly on main stats of the item - for example when I find 100x shield, it has values from +100 shields to +500 shields, so I equip +500. Legend (unique) items are probably 1 of 200 shields which I find, so there is SMALL chance for good +, chance that it has at least something around +500 shield is very low (still the same example), Im level 80 now, but I have equipped legend(unique) item maybe once...

Maybe if:

- legend(unique) item is always the best tech available, so if my level(or system level, Im not sure what controls drop level) meets req needed for Bio Armor and I find legendary armor, I can be sure that it is Bio Armor = bigger chance that main stats will be good...

- main value for each item is between something, exampl +500 - +1500... Legend(unique) can have the first value bigger, like +1100 - +1500 = bigger chance that legend(unique) item will be better than Normal/common bio armors which I find

Or something like this, hard to say
Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Champion

For my part, I think higher quality items in this game are greatly over-valued. They're often weaker than other available counterparts (and in that same spectrum, quite often much weaker), and the "bonuses" they offer aren't really bonuses when you have to pay for them via increased power consumption...including the ones that aren't of any particular use/value to you. Prior to (I think) .923, I tweaked the entire "effects" library so that none of the effects had associated power-load levels. Even then, Legendary items were still not worth using most of the time (the bonus values couldn't offset the lower core value of the item itself).

So were I to suggest things? Well obviously, I'd remove power-load penalties from secondary effects. After that I'd throw in a scaling boost in secondary stat values based on item grade. Higher tier items get much greater amounts of secondary stats, while lower tier items get very small ones.

Those two combined should (in general) allow higher-tier items to easily beat lower tier equivalents unless there is a significant level-disparity between them.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Expert

Well, here's the counter voice

One of the things I've enjoyed so far is the fact that bog standard items are viable choices. I find it so incredibly dull that most games that have an item grading system (nearly every RPG or hack and slash you'd care to mention) manage to render ordinary items entirely useless. Essentially, it's vendor trash.

Not so drox. I'm left with some interesting choices as a result. Do I want the extra 100 shield points if I'm going to lose the 150 bonus to attack that I get from a secondary stat on my currently equipped item? This is less straightforward than it seems at first blush. More than once I've had to weigh the tradeoff in secondary stats, especially so when said secondary stat is compensating for the lack of another type of item (in the previous example I was running a ship with 0 points invested in computers, so added attack bonuses meant a good deal).

I do agree that the highest tier items (blue and purple) could benefit from a small nudge though. Nothing to make them systematically better than bog standard. I think that making them powerload friendly would go a very long way towards achieving that.