Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Elite

Default [Balance] In Ultimate difficulty, all of my wins end up being Economy

I have been playing a lot in Ultimate difficulty, and I noticed that 14 out of my last 15 wins have been economy wins. It is true that I am trying very hard to gather cash, because all of my efforts go into modding my ships' equipment, but I just played two level 200 sectors of tiny and small size, while questing without looking at the win screen, and both times I got economy wins without letting myself be bribed. (When you let yourself get bribed, you can get economy wins in the first three minutes)

I am not sure that this is a problem, except in the sense that it stops quest generation in a sector you may want to enjoy longer.

I do not think that the cash awards are too high - if anything, some of the quests seem a bit underpaid - some bounties barely pay you back for the rumor collecting, let alone any consumables and repair expenses. (Others, like "Kill the Overlord" pay very well.) It's the win limits that seems to be too low. Given that I try to collect about 2-4 millions per tiny sector, and usually succeed, it makes no sense that the win seems to come way below the million mark.

------------

I did some math. It seems that the Economy Win requirement for level 200 is around 600,000 credits. Blowing up a listening device nets you about 1%, killing a named monster 2%, and a boss 3%. Those aren't the problem, because just searching for that listening device makes the quest a wash. (No experience gain, and the cash is spent on rumors)

But at the minute and a half mark, the Humans offer me 300,000 to break my treaty with Drakk, and Drakk are ready to pay 500,000 for me to go to war with Brunt. Economy win, then and there.

Of course, this only matters if you play at high levels, so feel free to ignore it.

-------------

Hmm, it seems that the relationship is not linear. Taking a 580,000 bribe was not 95% of the economy win score. It seems that a lot of small payments are better than a big one. Not a big deal anyway.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 10-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Elite

Default Lucrative diplomacy

Talon and Legion have grown very powerful and rich, and all other races are on the ropes. The Drox operative gets tired of questing, because he realizes that he will get a economy win if he turns in the quests, again.

So he engages in some shady dealings.

The Operative may be much less liked after this, but he is quite a bit richer.

And why do sentient races put up with this? Because this is how the sector looks less than ten minutes later.

Winners hire the Drox. Because even at level 200, a Drox ship cuts through anything like a laser cuts through vacuum.

Any chance we get a "You need help" challenge level that goes to 300?

Last edited by Tuidjy : 10-05-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
Any chance we get a "You need help" challenge level that goes to 300?
Umm... Tuidjy... have ya forgotten that you're the only god here, & the rest of us are mere Mortals...?

I HAVE mentioned I have a Mental Development Disorder before, haven't I...? We can't all do such omnipotent feats like you can... O_0 (So far, the most powerful feat in the game i've managed was to somehow get my beloved Geomagnetic Storm & Pulsar Generators nerfed... :'( )

Uh, Shadow, I think Tuidjy needs a Mega Hardcore Mode just for him before Tuidjy ends up spiking the game difficulty up so high that he is the only Drox Operative left in the Universe that can ever win any game ever again...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Elite

Tyrax Lightning, I never try to raise the difficulty of the basic game. I am very, very happy with new challenges being made possible, but I do not think that existing builds should be endangered in any way.

And not only do I not keep my builds secret in any way, most of them are just improvements on what other people have come up with. As a matter of fact, one of my builds, the un-aimed one, was designed after I looked at one of your ships.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
Tyrax Lightning, I never try to raise the difficulty of the basic game. I am very, very happy with new challenges being made possible, but I do not think that existing builds should be endangered in any way.

And not only do I not keep my builds secret in any way, most of them are just improvements on what other people have come up with. As a matter of fact, one of my builds, the un-aimed one, was designed after I looked at one of your ships.
Ahh, that makes me feel better. Many thanks for your consideration. I haven't had time to play as much as I want lately, but last I left off, Borg had reached Lvl 100, but still hasn't managed to beat his last Challenge Sector yet even after 3+ attempts. I'm rather frightened of the thought of trying to face lvl 300 Ships at my current level of power.

Now that I think of it, any sneaky ways available to get access to the all mighty 155 Stat needing Components? I could use some more power on Borg now that his Pulsar Generator & Geomagnetic Storm Weapons have been screwed over. Thank Goodness he can still rely on his trusty Bomber Sidekick...
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Elite

I do not think that you need the 155 Stat components. I have never actually seen any, to be honest - the most demanding of mine need 153.

If you are running low on power, you are better off, in order of increasing difficulty:

1. Using more energy leechers. They stack.
2. Getting rid of components you do not really need, and replacing them with generators.
3. Reducing (at a Fringe planet) the load of your existing components.
4. Scavenging (at a Scavenging planet) for better generators.
5. Slotting (at a Utopian planet) your existing components, and using chips such as "-63 power load" and "32 max power load".

Last edited by Tuidjy : 10-06-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrax Lightning View Post
I'm rather frightened of the thought of trying to face lvl 300 Ships at my current level of power.
But why would you face level 300 enemies unless you want to, and unless you feel that you can handle them? The only goals that matter are the ones that you value.

Here is my problem.

I build ships. They are pretty nice, but they can be improved. So I improve them. I hunt for that perfect component with the bonuses you cannot get from chips, then I enhance it at Fringe and Lithosoid planets, then I make slots in it at a Utopian planet, and finally I dump all of my remaining cash at a Scavenger planet for chips. So I end up with some pretty nice components.

So my ship gets really nice, and I take it against the toughest enemies, and it does pretty well. But. It's still not nearly as good as it can be. And I want to make it as good as it can be. But what's the point when the only thing I have met at level 200 that was a problem was an overgrown Colossus that had luckied out into some really good traits? I want to make a better ship, but there is nothing to take it against.

This is why I want more levels - so that there is a reason to further enhance my ships. It's a Skinner box, but I certainly enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Elite

Where do ya keep finding these Chips? I haven't found any at all in my latter 50 Levels, & i've never had a Marine Drop at all to give them a try...
Old 10-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Elite

I have never found a chip that I have ended up using. Once you find a single chip, keep it in your stash, and once you get a sector with Scavengers, scavenge for all the cash you can do without. Keep the good chips... scavenge enough, and you will know what's a good chip.

For example, these are 'good' chips when you are level 100:

Damage, Min Damage, Max Damage, projectile speed: 110% and above (best I've seen 119%)
Critical hit chance: 170% and above (180%)
Range, weapon speed: 55% and above (60%)
Max power load: 30 and above (32)
Reduction to power load: 63 (common enough to go for the best)
Durability: 130 (common enough to go for the best)
Radar: 150 and above (155)
Attack: 300 and above (321)
Defense: 45 and above (51)
Tweaked: 40% and above (42%)
Credits: 80% and above (86%)

------------

As for Marines, the best way is to find a Drakk planet and quest for new crew members until you get a Marine. The best marines have critical bonuses, attack, and as many stats as possible. They level different from other crew members, always keep your best Marine slotted.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 10-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Elite

Can Marines board Starbases?

Damn, with how much hellacious amount of Money it takes to power oneself up, I would think the easier Economy Wins in the high levels would be a major plus... not something to dislike... I'm hurtin for money, so maybe i'll try to survive higher level Sectors for cash before this gets 'addressed'...