Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Elite

Default Max Max Speed

There has to be a better way to say that.

Anyway, right now I can put everything I've got into speed and still feel slow. It's crazy that all the thrust boosts and emergency thrusters in the world won't outrace most enemies. If this would cause problems, maybe give enemies emergency thrusters too, like the awesome charging zombies in Din's Curse.

It's also crazy that no matter how much thrust I have, I'm still snail slow in gravity wells. Maybe thrust boosts/emergency thrusters can help with that too?

Last edited by Chumpy : 07-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Expert

Personally I'd like to see a higher cap on max speed. Maybe the soft cap is 200, but you could go higher with a sort of exponential curve. So 200 is easy to reach, but 300 would require a much larger amount of thrust. Thus there would be a practical limit but if a person wanted to go a bit faster they could potentially do so.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori View Post
Personally I'd like to see a higher cap on max speed. Maybe the soft cap is 200, but you could go higher with a sort of exponential curve. So 200 is easy to reach, but 300 would require a much larger amount of thrust. Thus there would be a practical limit but if a person wanted to go a bit faster they could potentially do so.
Kind of like trying to reach the speed of light. Takes more and more thrust to get just a little closer.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
Kind of like trying to reach the speed of light. Takes more and more thrust to get just a little closer.
Basically, but let us get to a certain speed (like 200) pretty easy, just beyond that make it the law of diminishing returns..
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Elite

I haven't gone over level 20, so maybe this actually exists as a high level item...

Maybe there could be some anti-gravity component that provides a small thrust but more importantly, negates somewhat (or completely) the effect of gravity wells?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Elite

Gravity wells can also be pretty useful as offensive/defensive areas, though. You can fly close, do a fancy maneuver, then get enemies stuck in there while you plop something hurty on them.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Elite

So have some enemies without emergency thrust?

Usually what happens is flying an inch too close, getting stuck in the gravity well, and having every missile finally catch up.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I haven't gone over level 20, so maybe this actually exists as a high level item...

Maybe there could be some anti-gravity component that provides a small thrust but more importantly, negates somewhat (or completely) the effect of gravity wells?
I don't mean to be a dick but anti-gravity in space? Sounds like something you'd order off the shopping channel at 2 in the morning while you're having a slumber party with a group of Dryads.

A much more sensible idea is to make thrust that you generate over 200 decrease effectiveness of gravity wells.