Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Amateur

Default "One of our freighters has had major engine failure": Where??

I don't find sweeping a system fun.

Would it be too much to ask for a clue where this freighter was travelling? Even something like "en route from Mars to Venus" would be very helpful ... or a search for ship button like for bounty quests?

As it stands now, these quests are very time-consuming compared to most other quests, for little additional reward.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Amateur

Ah, there is marker on the system map, but not in the system stated as "known location" in the quest. Is this a bug?

I have backed up the save files for that character, but can't attach them here because the zip is larger than the 100 KB this forum allows.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Amateur

I've done enough of these quests to know that they are consistently bugged. About half the time they are in the system as stated, and they show up on the system map with a blue dot. But the other half of the time they are not in the system that the quests states they should be in. I know because I've swept several systems completely, no FOW remaining. But then I have found them in totally different systems with the blue dot, where I have rescued them and gotten credit. This is a bug that needs fixing.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifman View Post
I've done enough of these quests to know that they are consistently bugged. About half the time they are in the system as stated, and they show up on the system map with a blue dot. But the other half of the time they are not in the system that the quests states they should be in. I know because I've swept several systems completely, no FOW remaining. But then I have found them in totally different systems with the blue dot, where I have rescued them and gotten credit. This is a bug that needs fixing.
You sure that's not a case of multiple quests of the same type being given? Or the intended ship to rescue being destroyed by enemies?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
You sure that's not a case of multiple quests of the same type being given? Or the intended ship to rescue being destroyed by enemies?
I'm not sure what you mean by the first question. The quest gives me the system and the name of the pickup. So I'm not confusing it with another similar quest if that's what you mean.

As for the second question, no that's not happening either because you get a quest failed message if the ship to be rescued is destroyed and I have seen that happen also. See, I have played the game
Old 07-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea
You sure that's not a case of multiple quests of the same type being given?
Yes, sure. The ships to be rescued are named, so even when there are several active, you can always compare the location given in the quest to where you actually found them.

It is as Grifman says. Maybe except for the 'bug' part. Theoretically it could be a feature, where the location given is misleading on pupose. Not that I believe that to be the case.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Amateur

The way I see it (or rather judging from my experience), freighter or whatever ship that needs to be rescued IS in fact in the sector where it is supposed to be according to the given quest at the time of receiving quest.

The thing is, sometimes the ship in question does NOT have an engine failure or so it seems - I have seen said ship sped out of quest sector, with enemies hot on it's tail, through the wormhole to another sector and beyond. I am guessing that is exactly what happens in all other "Freighter not in quest sector!" cases.

Ofcourse, it could be just that I did not pay attention and there are in fact two types of quests - one where ship is really stranded and the other where it just had engine failure but can still move.

Hope I made myself clear enough and this info helps in any ways.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Expert

Interesting observation. This makes the quest pretty interesting as well. It means that the adjacent systems should be scanned as well.

I had some instances when the mission target was marked on the system map a while after accepting the quest. This could be an instance of the ship returning after a detour, although I don't remember, if they were near a stargate / wormhole at the time.

Note, that all to-be-rescued freighters will always be visible on the system map, regardless of whether the quest is accepted by the player or not.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbach2o View Post
Note, that all to-be-rescued freighters will always be visible on the system map, regardless of whether the quest is accepted by the player or not.
Yes, this is good to know too. And it also holds true for killer comets/intergalactic locusts.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
The way I see it (or rather judging from my experience), freighter or whatever ship that needs to be rescued IS in fact in the sector where it is supposed to be according to the given quest at the time of receiving quest.

The thing is, sometimes the ship in question does NOT have an engine failure or so it seems - I have seen said ship sped out of quest sector, with enemies hot on it's tail, through the wormhole to another sector and beyond. I am guessing that is exactly what happens in all other "Freighter not in quest sector!" cases.

Ofcourse, it could be just that I did not pay attention and there are in fact two types of quests - one where ship is really stranded and the other where it just had engine failure but can still move.

Hope I made myself clear enough and this info helps in any ways.
Helpful, but it's still a bug