Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Amateur

Default Any tips on propping up a weaker race?

Somehow I've ended up backing the weaker horse in a two empire galaxy. Sad to say but even though my operative's ship can make mincemeat of most pirate/unaligned ships out there, I might as well be shooting spitballs at battleships.

Any tips on the best way to prop up a weaker race for a win? It seems almost impossible to make a real difference militarily.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Amateur

A good tip is to never try to take down a planet by yourself. Instead always keep an eye on the chat and try to support the attacks and defenses of your favored race.
You don't want to be the main target of battleship sized missiles, so you need a lot of other targets in the field: use fighters, or hide behind friendly ships.
EMP, Plasma fields and viruses are your main allies. Keep those planet guards debuffed by targeting each one in turn.
Do a quick estimate on planet's health: sometime it is way quicker to target the planet while ignoring defenders, most of the time it's the other way around.

What's more important: since there are more than one victory conditions, while you're supporting a weaker race keep in mind that the fear victory becomes way easier than a military one. Just keep defending planets, you just need to do it for the limited time it takes to accumulate enough fear points.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Champion

Also, be very sure not to lead giant groups of monsters back to the planet when you get in trouble. I've done for a few allies that way.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAV View Post
Also, be very sure not to lead giant groups of monsters back to the planet when you get in trouble. I've done for a few allies that way.
Or use that to your advantage if your ship is fast enough: lead enemies to the enemy's troops. They can shoot you, or the giant creepy space bugs....

Also, try taking advantage of when the enemy race is begging for help on a planet - "Such-and-such is under attack! Help defend!" or a comet, etc.is a good time to sit around and see if they get hurt enough that you can sweep in and clean up after the bugs/threat is done...
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Elite

I find it very hard (if not impossible) to reverse the fortunes of a race in this scenario. Usually its impossible to take the battle to the dominant race personally, as you have found. Sabotage etc. don't seem to make any real impression. Using rumour to try and force a peace treaty is usually next to impossible as well. Even if you manage it, often they will break the treaty again within minutes. Intercepting race colony ships to prevent further expansion is also impossible; you can't be everywhere at once. Usually, I end up abandoning the sector.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Expert

Yeah I see no current way to win like this, especially if it's a big galaxy and there's so many enemy race planets and just 1 you.

In theory the weaker races could band together to fight the main enemy? I don't know, anybody got that to work?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Elite

Nope, not even with an obvious frontrunner from minute one.

It seems like a race with 10 planets might actually be in better shape than two races with 5 planets each.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Expert

hey all,

been away for a couple of weeks and drox continues to change for the better. very pleased.

With regard to this situation - backing the race that ends up significantly weaker - i think this is where the new win conditions and increased rewards for doing missions for the lower powered races come into play so well. I was playing the other day, enjoying bopping around fulfilling missions when the brunt started wiping everyone out, one race at a time in a concentrated offensive. I was way down at 52% approval with the Brunt and there was no way the stingy bastards were going to ally with me before they finished off everyone else. and i liked it... i felt the game pressure me in a way it usually dosn't - suddenly to win the sector i had to pull out one of the other win conditions before the brunt eradicated everyone else. Felt good to have a little more purpose, felt good to take a mercenary attitude - that is, screw what happens to the races in this sector all that matters is how i come out of it. And so i started doing every high paying mission for the lower races, racing towards an economic win before the brunt could finsih their job. With one lone hive world still standing against the brunt empire i took a high paying colonise mission for the hive and burst through the barrier of the economic win just as the brunt fleet was attacking the hive homeworld. Perfect, and very very satisfying. I watched the brunt wipe out the Hive while laughing and smiling with a blinking 'won sector' icon in the top right of my screen!

I think the new win conditions and rewards balancing has changed these situations completely and really gives you other ways to go if the intergalactic war goes against you. Very nice job shadow - more options, more freedom, more play styles, more game!
Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Amateur

I agree. There seems to be a "fencing period" where you'll see two or three races dueling for first place, but once all-out war breaks out, it's very tough for one faction to rebound from a series of losses. I saw the Cortex take over every single planet on the known map doing this, where shortly before there had been a nice Cold War balance with the Lith and the Dryad. Well, I backed the wrong horse, I can't visit any planets because the Cortex are hostile to me, and there's all but a couple of non-Cortex planets left. I'll probably abandon the sector. It was challenging at first and I stuck with it but now it's starting to lose the fun.

It would be nice if you could attack a race's ships when it suited your purpose to do so without having to declare war.

Would like to see a longer end-game and more of a balance between the races to avoid runaway wars.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Elite

One thing I suggested in this thread was for races to form "trade agreements" and "research partnerships" and things like that, such that an alliance of weaker races could grow faster to overpower a stronger race.

There's also the obvious answer, which is that maybe a single race ship shouldn't be able to survive crossing a star system while I'm burning energy regen to shoot them with several weapons the whole way.