Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Amateur

I'm totally with Jonasan on all accounts! If you gave the player more control over the races, it'd turn out to be just another crappy 4x game. This is the first 4x game where you're an outside entity as opposed to controlling an entire race. If you want a 4x game where you want micromanagement, there's a million + infinity of them out there. I personally love that most race interaction is out of your hands, it makes absolute sense in the nature of the game. It's not like the race leaders are going to be like "Oh, hey guy, you're new around here, how about... we let you command our entire fleet, production, R&D, and politics? AND solve every single problem that's currently happening to us."

I love how frantic the quests can get, how many pop up and you literally have to decide priority levels to each one! I've never seen anything like it outside of Din's Curse, and this took it to a whole new playing field. One of my personal favorites is trying to beat races to planet exploration just to sell it to them, lol, sometimes it gets hectic, but there's good money in it level 30+ or so.

I probbly wouldn't play it either if it suddenly became a controllable 4x game, unless the whole game was overhauled to compensate.

I wouldn't worry, Jonasan, I don't see major plot changes being made despite outcries of "Suxxors". Because they (Soldak) know, oh, they know, despite being an indie game, people out there have been waiting a long time for a game like this. I know I have.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Elite

Well, if ONLY the starlanes were locked, the critters would eventually find their way out of the system with wormholes etc. So the idea is to slow them down, and give something that the guild can control rather than the races, who control the jump points.... In fact, you could make it a commodity exchange on the trade screen --you give me a jumppoint, I give you a starlane....

I've found that the races will often jump to colonize other star systems before being done with colonizing their home system.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
I've found that the races will often jump to colonize other star systems before being done with colonizing their home system.
I think one of the issues may be that there doesn't seem to be much of a limiting factor on race expansion. In fact, the only factor limiting their expansion seems to be how fast they can crank out ships, and if they feel like expanding. In 4x games, there's usually some other factor preventing colonization of the whole sector right away -- usually it's the maximum distance that ships can travel between stars.

EDIT: Given this issue, I think it makes sense to modify the original proposal slightly: starlanes are locked to begin with, but they're not locked to the player. The player's ship has the Drox signature that allows it to travel via starlanes. Races cannot go through starlanes unless they put effort into researching them, or obtain information about how to use them from other races. The player can't unlock gates at will, but he can perform quests that help unlock starlanes faster for particular races.

This would serve as a means to slow down and limit race expansion.

Last edited by Bluddy : 08-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Elite

That reminds me, elsewhere i asked if planet type affected things like population: population should limit colony ships -- and it should take a while to build each colony ship. I don't know if this is programmed in, but a lush eden planet should crank out colony ships faster than a desert planet, for example.... I've been starting games with home planet only, and some races are cranking out colony ships and populating VERY quickly if that's the case...I'll discover a race in the same system I start with they'll have 2 planets already, and be scouting out-of-system to start another. Slow it down, people! Ok, some races should have a colonizing advantage, and it should be noticeable, but not ridiculous -- and should be balanced by home planet resources.

I might say that they should have a 15 minute cool-down from colonizing too -- build up home planet population, explore -- and they should attempt to colonize the most favorable planets that are a reasonable distance from home planet first. I don't know whether they do that already or not. The space-race is a little out of control. If they plan to colonize a planet, and another race beats them to it, they could redirect to the next most favorable planet that's near the colony ship....

Shouldn't operatives be terraforming planets before they're colonized? We could raise the worth of a planet to our pet race...it's one way to help craft the universe in an underdog's favor.