Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Elite

Default Ship Structure and Component damage

With crew dying and components breaking, I'm not sure there's any point to high HP. I mean, a few hits to an unarmored ship will have all my crew dead, and if I really try to tank things my other components won't last long either.

That's also why I'll never equip items like the Reinforced Bulkhead. Once things are breaking, I'm already dead.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
With crew dying and components breaking, I'm not sure there's any point to high HP. I mean, a few hits to an unarmored ship will have all my crew dead, and if I really try to tank things my other components won't last long either.

That's also why I'll never equip items like the Reinforced Bulkhead. Once things are breaking, I'm already dead.

I've come to the same conclusion. As soon as shields and armor are gone, things start breaking. HP do give you some ability to run away, but that's really it.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post

I think everybody agrees on this.

Something needs to be done to make items breaking more tolerable and interesting. Since your ship is such a tightly dependent network of power, requirements and items, taking out the crew for example completely cripples you. I think crew probably shouldn't die for this reason. Additionally, items should not just stop working, but should instead have specific effects when damaged. A damaged power reactor could cause sporadic power outages. A damaged thruster could cause uncontrollable motion sometimes. A semi-damaged weapon could sometimes misfire.

The other problem is that all of these components are competing against each other for space on your ship, and there's no way structure items can compete with armor or shields the way things are now. Had we had basic slots for each of these things, that competition would end, and we would want to reinforce specific slots. In fact, I would say the system could be more interesting if instead of having to make decisions on the fly, we could buy ships with different amounts of basic slot types: some ships would have 2 shield slots, others would have 3 structure slots etc. The competition would then be on a ship level rather than on an item level.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I think crew probably shouldn't die for this reason.
Perhaps, like other components, they should be "Damaged" first? i.e. they get damaged, you can "put them into the infirmary" (your inventory) -- but if you leave them "in the hot seat" and you continue to take extreme damage, THEN they die. So they have to go negative the # of their "durability" to die, let's say (to make it neat) -- and they function at half their capability if injured and still in the hot seat (which might allow you to limp to a planet for healing...). I, for one, have not found that crew is so plentiful in the universe that I'd want to lose any...

Quote:
Additionally, items should not just stop working, but should instead have specific effects when damaged. A damaged power reactor could cause sporadic power outages. A damaged thruster could cause uncontrollable motion sometimes. A semi-damaged weapon could sometimes misfire.
I like it, but that might be more programming than my crew suggestion...

Quote:
The other problem is that all of these components are competing against each other for space on your ship, and there's no way structure items can compete with armor or shields the way things are now. Had we had basic slots for each of these things, that competition would end, and we would want to reinforce specific slots. In fact, I would say the system could be more interesting if instead of having to make decisions on the fly, we could buy ships with different amounts of basic slot types: some ships would have 2 shield slots, others would have 3 structure slots etc. The competition would then be on a ship level rather than on an item level.
I don't like that very much -- but I think crew slots could be separate from light slots. Light slots essentially just become crew slots making all green/light items useless anyway. I liked someone's suggestion that you be able to equip items in "larger" slots -- so light items could be put into medium or heavy slots, etc. And I think one way to deal with all the dead space between slot upgrades is to give separate crew slots -- take them out of the light slots, and in the large "dead spaces" between getting light/medium/heavy slots, toss in a new crew slot at the midway point. You can put a crew member in a light slot, light items in medium slots, medium in heavy slots... so that means the upgrade won't break people's current ships-in-progress (crew would be allowed in light slots -- could allow items to "fit" in only one size up...). And it opens up being able to finally arm those green defensive items rather than choose between crew and items....or you can stack up on tons of crew if you must. Oh, start ships off with 0 extra crew slots -- you already have one racial one anyway and your first ship is like a tricycle ....but fill in the dead space in ship upgrades with crew slots. Otherwise in-between ship upgrades penalize you with more weight without more slots.