Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Elite

Default Analysis and Thoughts on New Monsters

I decided to post up my thoughts on the Rylor demons thus far, as I've been running into quite a few with my current character.

For reference, I'm playing a level 36 Defender/Paladin with a health of 745, armor rating of 682 (91%), a chance to be hit of about 20% (I'm currently cursed so I'm not sure what it normally is) and a DPS of about 140. My relevant resistances are Fire 3 (1.8%) and Poison 15 (9.1%). I have only been encountering Toxic variants, but of all types. They tend to be spawning at level 38, two levels above my character's level.

Rylor: Basic Rylors tend to fall quickly (1-2 hits) and rarely evade or block. Their melee damage output is marginal and the Toxic variant's poison damage is also negligible. Their fire-bomb special ability is only occasionally deployed and seems to have a very long "fuse" time. Like their melee attacks, the fire-bomb doesn't appear to do much damage, if any at all. I also don't seem to be taking any DoT like I'd expect from a fire-based attack.
Overall opinion: Underpowered fodder. The bombs should be used with more frequency, particularly upon sighting the player. More often than not they chose to close in for melee on sight over throwing bombs from a range. I feel like the fuses should be shortened a bit as well, and if possible, they should be leading the player with their throws in an attempt to detonate the bomb on target instead of behind the player.

Rylor Bull: The bulls seem to take a reasonable amount of damage to kill (3-6 hits), though I haven't been able to determine their dodging/blocking habits yet. Their damage output felt perfect, doing what felt like about 10-15% of my health in damage per blow, and landing stunning blows just often enough to worry about but not so frequently as to be irritating. They're also very efficient as support to other monsters and in packs because of their stunning blows. Once again though, I didn't notice much of their damage coming from poison damage, primarily just from physical.
Overall opinion: I think the bulls are well balanced and just dangerous enough. Many monsters in Din's are glass cannons or fodder, and the bull seems to break that mold.

Winged Rylor: I haven't had many run-ins with the Winged variety yet, but my first impression is that they definitely seem to be good at blocking attacks. This is a bit of a liability for them when fighting a Defender though I'll post more thoughts on these guys after I've taken a few more down.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Expert

I had a pack of Rylor's come at me (don't remember which kind) and it was pretty cool cause they all just went straight for me at once. They weren't in any fights with other monsters, or just meandering around not noticing me, they all seemed to spot me at once and just bumrushed me. It may have been a coincidence, but I don't know, the AI just seemed to work a bit different the way they attacked.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Expert

I've been bombarded with Winged Rylors. HUGE groups. Still surviving...
Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Legend

The new monsters are tough as nails. Fighting the bulls up close takes patience and i havent even seen the other two types.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Expert

I have seen Rylors and Krall warrior/worker at low level. The last new type of demon is Vortar (looks just like a bigger reddish version of the Shadow monster) which I see around lv80 or so.

Krall worker/warrior: nothing special here, they are somewhat faster than average monsters ( I think all the new demons are) and have medium health.

Rylors: tough melee mobs. They are kind of the same as the hulk.

Vortar: I think there's a good reason you shouldn't see these guys until late in game. There are 3 types: Vortar Soldier, Raider and Guardian. All of the Vortar's have very fast movement speed with Vortar Raider being the fastest (really fast >.<). Vortar Raider probably won't do much damage against a well armored warrior but they can hurt lightly armored character- rogue/archer/mage and running away from them is very hard. Even with a slow debuff on (-33% speed) they can still run almost as fast as you! Unless you have some type of aoe stun/trap you wont get away because these guys come in group most of the time.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Elite

I've run into a handful of Krall Workers recently and so far I agree with you Stardusts, they're pretty much just "standard enemies" with a bit more speed. At a glance they look like they should have a really high Deep Wounds chance, but I haven't noticed anything special about their attacks. Defensively, they aren't the most durable but they definitely seemed to block my attacks more often than most enemies; I would compare their blocking ability to Orcs or Dark Elves from what I've seen.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Elite

I decided to let a single Toxic Winged Rylor beat on my Defender/Paladin to see how effective he was against me. My character has 744HP, 965 Defense (20% to be hit) and 676 Armor (86% absorb) and was one level higher than the enemy. Based on my Defense rating the Rylor should have been hitting me about once every five attacks, but on average it only seemed to land about one in eight or nine. It critically hit twice for only 50 damage once and 63 the second time (plus 1.4 poison for 20s) and its normal damage was only about 16-30 for all other strikes.

It also seems to suddenly take flight and kick up a small cloud of dust (Wing Attack?) and sometimes seems to cower or cover itself with its wings when on the ground (Wing Block?). I haven't seen either of these abilities actually have any effect, though.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
The new monsters are tough as nails. Fighting the bulls up close takes patience and i havent even seen the other two types.
I agree with DeathKnight as well as FloodSpectre's original post.

My conclusion: The demons have their strengths as well as their weaknesses. They make great supporting characters for my necro. The Rylor's bomb does take a while to explode, and while my evidence is empirical, I love when my Raise Dead summoned Rylors launch their little fire bombs into a mass melee with my other monsters. Against other monsters, it seems pretty effective.

The plain Rylors do seem a bit fragile, but that's because I usually whack them with my giant double handed axe that criticals almost every time. Not sure they have much physical damage defense. Haven't tried fighting them with, let's say, a flame based wizard. Not sure how a flame based character will do against the demon hordes.

My character is now level 58, and while I'm not sure of how fast the area of effect and fire damage over time changes for the Rylors, they seem pretty deadly against my odd Weaponmaster/Necro combination. For reference, my character is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by jeremyosborne : 01-01-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Elite

I've run across a new enemy, one I haven't heard mentioned at all yet: the Demon Gate. They look just like Dimensional Gates, but they have a more red/orange coloration.

The main thing I've noticed, though, is that they don't appear to do anything at all. They don't use nearby corpses to heal themselves, and I tried standing right next to one for a minute or so to see what it would spawn, but it did nothing whatsoever. I think there's a good chance the gates are bugged.