Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Amateur

Default A few questions & suggestions

Love this game. I would have gotten bored of it some time ago except for hardcore, which is all I play now. Completely addictive. My best character (hardcore) was a 51st level Defender/Trickster. Had amazing gear until a freak critical hit saw him off...

A few Qs:

1) How exactly do item find / magic find work? I get that higher percentage is better, but what's the mechanic?

2) Related question - at what point are the drops determined for particular chests, monsters, etc.? Is it when you first start opening the chest, or when it is actually opened, or when you enter the level? I'm trying to work out whether/when it might be worth it to equip things with high +% magic find, when to take a potion, etc. For example, is it worth equipping +50% gold find boots when I find a vault full of money chests, or is it too late by then already to affect the amounts?

3) Does magic find affect the rewards you get when you increase a reputation level?

4) What triggers the special quests for Gain Freedom, become Din's Champion, etc.? Do they depend on your level, or reputation, or something else?

5) It seems to me that armor, attack, defence, and resistances follow a logarithmic scale of some kind. That is, the first 100 points of resistance grants you more than the second 100 points. Is this correct? It's just an impression; I'm too lazy to test...

6) Is perception actually good for anything? Traps always seem to be visible, no matter what, so what's perception for?

7) How is damage from ice and fire bombs determined? Does it scale up, and if so according to what?

and a few suggestions:

1) Would be great if rewards you get when you increase reputation level were actually always useful, or at least usable by your class. Nothing more disheartening than levelling up and getting a piece of armor that you already have, or even getting one you can't use.

2) I'd love to see some small permanent bonus for all characters for achievements. Ie, a permanent +2% gold find once you get the 1000 gp gold found achievement, etc. And more achievements! I'm a fan of strange ones that are really hard to get ... ie, have a hardcore character of at least 20th level who gets reduced to 1 hp but lives. Or kill 50 monsters in 50 seconds. Or save a town in under 2 minutes. Or have five statues of yourself in the same town....

3) There seems to be a minor bug or glitch around the journal entries for "hardest battle won", "toughest monster killed" etc. In my journal, these don't seem to correspond at all to actual accomplishments in the game. Toughest monster killed by any character is listed as some 20th-level mimic boss, even though I've killed mimic bosses many levels higher than that.

4) Maybe give hybrid classes a small generic boost to a few stats, to prevent them falling so far behind other classes in terms of the stat-related bonuses.

I know production of the next game is a priority, but I'd LOVE to see another update to din's curse - I would buy even a minor update, with another new class and a few other perks!

Thanks for making this game.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Legend

I'll try to answer what I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdust View Post
1) How exactly do item find / magic find work? I get that higher percentage is better, but what's the mechanic?
Magic find affects the percentage chance of all magic items dropping. It's actually a little complicated, but when an item drops, the game runs tests to see if it's a common item, then (if it passed) if it's an uncommon, then (if it passed again) if it's rare etc. Each test has its percentage test, and the net result is that artifacts are super duper rare. Magic find slowly increases the percentage test for each level, making all magical items more common. I hope that makes sense. If not, you can search the forum for the item spawn mechanics and read up on it a little more.

I'm not sure exactly what item find does. I think it increases the chance of finding an item when you kill a monster/open a chest, and the number of items you'll get.

Quote:
2) Related question - at what point are the drops determined for particular chests, monsters, etc.? Is it when you first start opening the chest, or when it is actually opened, or when you enter the level? I'm trying to work out whether/when it might be worth it to equip things with high +% magic find, when to take a potion, etc. For example, is it worth equipping +50% gold find boots when I find a vault full of money chests, or is it too late by then already to affect the amounts?
AFAIK it's when the game needs to spawn drops, whether it be when you open a chest or when you kill a monster. For optimal usage, you should equip stuff / quaff potions right before you open chests. Regarding the vault question, I believe the same logic applies: equip those boots right before you open the chests.

Quote:
3) Does magic find affect the rewards you get when you increase a reputation level?
I don't think so. That's hardwired to be an artifact AFAIK.

Quote:
4) What triggers the special quests for Gain Freedom, become Din's Champion, etc.? Do they depend on your level, or reputation, or something else?
A quick check revealed that they depend on reputation level. Each one takes another 5 reputation levels. (Which seems a little low, now that I think about it.).

Quote:
5) It seems to me that armor, attack, defence, and resistances follow a logarithmic scale of some kind. That is, the first 100 points of resistance grants you more than the second 100 points. Is this correct? It's just an impression; I'm too lazy to test...
You can find the attack/defense formula here. The armor/resistance formulas have changed since Depths of Peril, and they're now non-linear. They follow formulas that are more or less:
% absorbed = armor / (armor + attacker_level * A + B)
These formulas make it so that it's very hard to get close to 100% resistance, and every level you need more and more armor/resistance to get the same percentage absorption.

Quote:
6) Is perception actually good for anything? Traps always seem to be visible, no matter what, so what's perception for?
Perception is one aspect of the game I've never really investigated. I do believe very low perception makes some traps invisible, and you won't detect traps on chests and doors properly without perception. Shadow can fill in the gaps here since I don't know much more about it.

Quote:
7) How is damage from ice and fire bombs determined? Does it scale up, and if so according to what?
They scale up by 2 factors. The ice bombs have a level based more or less on which dungeon level you found them in. That determines their base damage. But they also scale up against higher level monsters, so that they don't completely lose their value if you take them to deeper levels/another town. Still, a bomb found at a deeper level will be stronger (again, AFAIK).

Quote:
1) Would be great if rewards you get when you increase reputation level were actually always useful, or at least usable by your class. Nothing more disheartening than levelling up and getting a piece of armor that you already have, or even getting one you can't use.
There is logic that's supposed to try and spawn a useful reward for your class. I'm just not sure it's working properly. There's nothing preventing it from generating something you already have though.

Quote:
2) I'd love to see some small permanent bonus for all characters for achievements. Ie, a permanent +2% gold find once you get the 1000 gp gold found achievement, etc. And more achievements!
That's a pretty cool idea. There's something like that in Kivi's Underworld. I wonder if I can get it working in my mod.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Elite

If you got that last thing working in your mod it would be really really awesome.