Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Expert

Default PvP

I am sorry if this notion/question has been asked many many times before but unfortunately when I tried to do a search for "PvP" the query string isn't long enough so I figured I'd put it in a thread.

Are there any plans or intentions of making ANY form of pvp in this game or a future game of this type? Even dueling or something of the like? I ask because the game mechanics are quite awesome and while it's a great dungeon crawl and Co-Op game I can't help but think there's some untapped potential in the pvp area.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Legend

I have been asking this question numerous times since dins curse the original was out. Unfortunately, i doubt it will be out in this game. We will probably have to wait until depths of peril 2
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not currently planning any PVP. PVP is one of those things that sounds fairly easy but is almost like adding a completely new full fledged game just by itself.
Patreon
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm not currently planning any PVP. PVP is one of those things that sounds fairly easy but is almost like adding a completely new full fledged game just by itself.
I don't mean to say that it would be easy or trivial to add or even that you should make such an attempt within this game. But it would be cool down the line with the series.

Furthermore PvP isn't so much "hard" to add in and of itself if you lay the framework/foundation which obviously this game was designed with Co-Op in mind so it wasn't. But if it were designing PvP on that basis isn't overly hard. What becomes hard is balancing it. Especially with the type of system the game employs now. I was a Wow player since it's beginning up until only about 6 months ago and Wow pvp has never been and probably never will be balanced. So in that respect you probably shouldn't worry too much about balancing it so much as just adding it as an option just for fun.

But yeah it would probably be well beyond the scope of this game but it would be nice in a future game if possible.

Though I'm just glad to see that you are still working on this one
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Expert

Once PvP enters any game, then the cries of nerf begin. Followed by constant "balancing" which results in such, again resulting in angry and frustrated customers.

It's a can of worms which is quite understandably left closed.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousKoel View Post
Once PvP enters any game, then the cries of nerf begin. Followed by constant "balancing" which results in such, again resulting in angry and frustrated customers.

It's a can of worms which is quite understandably left closed.
I dunno I've been around a long time and one thing that I've learned over the time is that you can add pvp to a non-pvpish game and it work quite well if you do NOT try to "balance" it.

Many games actually become less balanced the more they try to balance it. More to the point when the developers don't actually stick to their original "vision" of what balance is it gets hairy. Wow for example was actually balanced in "Vanilla" in PvP. It was PvE it wasn't balanced in... which caused pvp balance to get a bit messy after the game had been out awhile and people started getting the later gear. The thing that made that game balanced though was the vision for the classes. If you played a class with heavy defensive potential... your offensive potential was limited. If you played a class with really really really powerful offensive potential you were paper. If you played a hybrid you couldn't do any one thing particularly well but the fact that you could do a little bit of everything was in fact your power.

This sort of game would operate similar to D2 in that it wouldn't need to be balanced at all in the pvp department because pvp would just be a fun option you could turn on to mess around with friends or stir things up a bit. D2 was never balanced in pvp and that was okay. Though one of the things that made D2 problematic was more the fact that cheaters would go into people's games and cause trouble... especially when they found a way to bypass the pvp disabled mode completely.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I dunno I've been around a long time and one thing that I've learned over the time is that you can add pvp to a non-pvpish game and it work quite well if you do NOT try to "balance" it.

Many games actually become less balanced the more they try to balance it. More to the point when the developers don't actually stick to their original "vision" of what balance is it gets hairy. Wow for example was actually balanced in "Vanilla" in PvP. It was PvE it wasn't balanced in... which caused pvp balance to get a bit messy after the game had been out awhile and people started getting the later gear. The thing that made that game balanced though was the vision for the classes. If you played a class with heavy defensive potential... your offensive potential was limited. If you played a class with really really really powerful offensive potential you were paper. If you played a hybrid you couldn't do any one thing particularly well but the fact that you could do a little bit of everything was in fact your power.

This sort of game would operate similar to D2 in that it wouldn't need to be balanced at all in the pvp department because pvp would just be a fun option you could turn on to mess around with friends or stir things up a bit. D2 was never balanced in pvp and that was okay. Though one of the things that made D2 problematic was more the fact that cheaters would go into people's games and cause trouble... especially when they found a way to bypass the pvp disabled mode completely.
Now I am thinking about it... I THINK Shadow could make like an covenant declare war button. But to activate war with "PvPers". But you'd need two groups and it has to change constant.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Amateur

I really A cool way to do PVP is to have players act like renegade town people.
Were you do missions like trap the town or poison this one person, or even something like collect 10 Wampire blood to poison the water supply. The problem though is that doing this outside of multiplayer would be tricky, but what you could do is have a NPC who would act as one of Din's cursed trying to save the town. They could go to random floor and try to destroy stuff you built, or try to kill you. Like lets say you built an orc friendship totem, (a totem that makes orcs non hostile towards you, and will allow you to organize them to do attacks.) and Din's Cursed comes down to destroy it. A way to balance it as well is to make it so that those cursed by Din will be way over powered so that you would want to avoid them if possible. You could also do quest like recruit unhappy town person, and you could retrieve info about town from them, have them do other dirty work for you. Then as you do enough stuff you could become the boss of a floor at which point Din's cursed would know exactly where you are, but they aren't too much of a terror as they used to be, and you'll be doing stuff like send attacks at the town and making more named monsters to occupy the other floors. You'll lose when the town saved, or you'll win when you destroy it. This just my opinion though, but it would be a crazy PVP mode though, but to do this alone could be a whole game maybe a big expansion pack. I am willing to make or help make a PVP mode like this if I had the slightest idea how to make this,but I would really like to play this to point that I going to start working on right now! I do understand that there are some things I can't do, but if get it stable enough or putt in as much content as I could maybe one of the developers would pickup my mod and implement it into make PVP possible. The only problem I have is that I don't know a thing when it comes to programming the only real mod a made was for Dwarf Fortress which pretty much uses its own language, but I dedicated on doing this though (I just hope I could do good enough job.) How in the world should I start I know DC mod friendly, but what I want to do seems a little extreme any advice on how to start?

Last edited by xasio7 : 11-07-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasio7 View Post
How in the world should I start I know DC mod friendly, but what I want to do seems a little extreme any advice on how to start?
I think much of your idea would require programming support so it's not moddable. Either way I would start with much simpler things to get a feel for how the modding works.
Patreon
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 AM
Amateur

Definitely would like to see a option to damage other players in game. PVP might be a can of worms in a mmo but this is a small game that doesn't have alot of player it cannot hurt and it's something that will boost sales.