Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
Bluddy: I only disagree that early command is a must. You do have to choose your starting ship more carefully for a low-command build though. Race slots become far more crucial.
I agree, but I find that without command early on you're very weak and puny. Your most pressing desire at that stage is to get some more slots. Compare the number of slots you have early on (3/3/3) to the number of slots you have in DC + in DC you have as many skills as you want to add.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Legend

Watching the fighting in the new starting screen just reminds me how tough race ships are. I currently can demolish anything with the cloak + (+600% crit) + bomb combo (which I think needs to be nerfed somehow), but race ships really are too strong (still).

I think the main issue is that armor is too much of a boost. In most space games, as you fight a ship, you get past the shields, and then you start denting the structure of the ship. Once shields are down, ships are usually easy prey. In Drox, I haven't been using shields at all -- they're just not necessary.

I'd like to see some more interesting behavior here. Shields could perhaps protect against beam weapons and armor against explosive weapons. Once shields are down, beams could slice up a ship's structure, ignoring armor completely. So really you'd have 2 overlapping defense mechanisms, while only structure would be your true HP.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Watching the fighting in the new starting screen just reminds me how tough race ships are. I currently can demolish anything with the cloak + (+600% crit) + bomb combo (which I think needs to be nerfed somehow), but race ships really are too strong (still).

I think the main issue is that armor is too much of a boost. In most space games, as you fight a ship, you get past the shields, and then you start denting the structure of the ship. Once shields are down, ships are usually easy prey. In Drox, I haven't been using shields at all -- they're just not necessary.

I'd like to see some more interesting behavior here. Shields could perhaps protect against beam weapons and armor against explosive weapons. Once shields are down, beams could slice up a ship's structure, ignoring armor completely. So really you'd have 2 overlapping defense mechanisms, while only structure would be your true HP.
Disagree. The last thing you need in DO is for monsters to wipe out planets even more often. I think it happens often enough. My opening screen, as I mentioned elsewhere, was about level 20. The races all got wiped out leaving only Overlord & Legion before I could even explore the whole board with my fake-ship. I don't think I'd want them ANY weaker, thank you.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
In Drox, I haven't been using shields at all -- they're just not necessary.
So, here's some interesting behavior already: I haven't been using armor at all. The tradeoff is simple: shields require engineering, which I also need for my powerplants and other toys... leading me to give structure the shaft Between my requirements in computers, engineering and tactical, structure got the short end of the stick. It seems we already have variation in builds.

I do agree however that weapons should affect different layers in different manners - say EM weapons could rip shields, whereas missiles and kinetics would hurt armor or something along those lines. This would make the tradeoff between defense mechanisms more direct.

As for crew/slots, perhaps some advanced crew types could have "slot bonuses" or "roles" instead of stat boosts? As Bluddy suggests, there's an idea to be explored here. To keep these in check, it would be good to have them tied to certain ship sizes by rank. Here's an example: "Cruiser computer systems expert: power requirements of computers installed on the ship are reduced by 50% on light cruiser class ships". All you need then is to make them unavailable to large ships (or implement a heavily diminishing return), et voilą.

Also, as an idea that would indirectly add a cost to peeps who want bigger ships with lots of crew: crew could just have a fixed, automatic cost depending on the number of bonuses they give... and incur a heavy happiness cost leading them to go on strike if rep goes negative with their home faction. As it is, the whole "pay crew" thing is pretty useless, and more an occasional annoyance than an actual cost.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedlex View Post
So, here's some interesting behavior already: I haven't been using armor at all.
Oh, armour is actually pretty viable, since I find my ship's shields depleted from the first two or three hits almost all the time and they recharge way too slow without a shield surge for them to be
of any use beyond that; whereas armour lasts quite a bit longer without needing repair. It's a Lithosoid ship, so it has tons of Structure, but that's pretty much negligible, since crew starts dying
as soon as the armour is gone, rendering the ship defenseless. Thus, armour is a big factor in my style of play/build, but shields are somewhat useful as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
since crew starts dying
as soon as the armour is gone
That shouldn't be true in general since the last patch (you specific crew might now have adjusted yet).
Patreon
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Elite

Well, they still start taking damage, it just takes a while longer for them to die. The best solution to this problem would be tweaking the chances in favour of crew members,
so components are more likely to take damage instead once a ship's defenses are down to its structure.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Elite

I don't know -- once they start shaking and tilting the camera, people throw themselves around and all that dust they shake in front of the lens -- you know air quality can really affect your crew...

Seriously, once bombs are hitting your armor, I'd think anything not bolted down is going to get slammed around inside the hull. The nice thing about shields is that you're not getting any concussions from explosives knocking the ship around... Each time the ship gets a serious hit, it should be like a car accident inside, no? These aren't crash-test-dummies -- they're crew.