Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Legend

Default Idea: disguise

It would be very handy to be able to disguise yourself as another race temporarily. I'm thinking of a consumable, expensive item obtainable in some black market, or from a specific race (shadow perhaps?). Each camouflage is for a specific race that exists in the sector.

When the disguise is activated, all relations towards you are the same as towards the race you're disguising yourself as, with a slight chance of being discovered -- perhaps different camouflages will have different levels, or different qualities, with different percentages of being discovered from up close. So you could disguise yourself as an enemy of your ally and take out their colony ships to limit their expansion, or you could disguise yourself as an ally of an enemy and attack them to destroy their alliance -- when disguised, any ship can be attacked. This would allow you to accomplish things that are currently difficult to do, and having multiple ways to do things is generally a good idea.

This could also be a good way to get hired assassins to stop attacking you.

If you're discovered, it would be a huge hit to relations with the race you're attacking and the race you're pretending to be.

I'm not sure if the consumable should be a one use, or one you can toggle on and off (with a certain delay). I'm leaning towards toggle. In order to prevent stocking up on a ton of these, they should probably be leveled, ie. a level 1 disguise would be useless on a level 10 ship. In this way, you could have a disguise that works on some ships but not on others.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Elite

Hmm... I like the sound of this idea, except instead of a Consumable, maybe it should be a Component... maybe something like a "Holo-Cloak"?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Elite

This is how I would have it in the perfect world. I think it is is WAY too much effort for what it does, but one can dream.

A component that mimic a particular race, with a long refresh time, and an activation time that is level dependent. So that a level 10 component give 30 seconds (for example) to a level 10 ship, but only 5 to a level 20.

The disguise would fall apart when taking any damage, and would not cancel current enemies. This way, you would have to make sure that no one is shooting or chasing you when you engage it, and you would have limited time to use the disguise.

If you are in sight of any race ships when you bring the disguise up, you will lose reputation with the observer race and possibly the race you are spoofing. Likewise if you are in sight of any race ship when the disguise deactivates or is blown off.

The Status icon would be the Crest of the race you are spoofing.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrax Lightning View Post
Hmm... I like the sound of this idea, except instead of a Consumable, maybe it should be a Component... maybe something like a "Holo-Cloak"?
The reason I went with a consumable is that I didn't want it abused. This is something you should be able to do here and there -- it could be really useful in terms of breaking an alliance between two races, or getting through an area where there's a race that hates you, but it's not the kind of power you want all the time or it trivializes the relations of the game. It could perhaps be a component if it had a really really long recharge time...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
This is how I would have it in the perfect world. I think it is is WAY too much effort for what it does, but one can dream.

A component that mimic a particular race, with a long refresh time, and an activation time that is level dependent. So that a level 10 component give 30 seconds (for example) to a level 10 ship, but only 5 to a level 20.

The disguise would fall apart when taking any damage, and would not cancel current enemies. This way, you would have to make sure that no one is shooting or chasing you when you engage it, and you would have limited time to use the disguise.

If you are in sight of any race ships when you bring the disguise up, you will lose reputation with the observer race and possibly the race you are spoofing. Likewise if you are in sight of any race ship when the disguise deactivates or is blown off.

The Status icon would be the Crest of the race you are spoofing.
That sounds pretty good.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Legend

Another option is to get a status effect from a specific race that acts on the ship... so no component or consumable -- it's just a status effect that lasts 10 minutes or so and is very expensive (a little cheaper if the providing race is your ally).
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
The reason I went with a consumable is that I didn't want it abused. This is something you should be able to do here and there -- it could be really useful in terms of breaking an alliance between two races, or getting through an area where there's a race that hates you, but it's not the kind of power you want all the time or it trivializes the relations of the game. It could perhaps be a component if it had a really really long recharge time...
Last I checked, Cloaks weren't abuseable at all... lazy useless piles of crud.

Ya want a Holo-Cloak to be non-abusable? Make it have a seriously strong Energy Cost per tick, stronger than a Cloak's Energy Drain Rate, then it'll be easier said then done trying to blow stuff up, avoid getting hit to lose the disguise, & avoid getting the disguise 'seen through' all at the same time... ... on second thought, this might be awfully gimp & unworth trying, never mind. Might as well Old School it & just blow enemies up.