Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Amateur

Default Noob questions - help please

I'm still with my first ship, slowly moving towards the highest levels (I'm dying a lot) and I'd appreciate any help with the following issues;

1) The stats screen claims a DPS of about 8000 but I can't seem to kill tough enemies with any speed (i.e. before they can kill me). I keep running out of energy for one thing; I only got around 600 and each firing of one of my three beams takes up 70+. For another, even though the screen claims that with an attack of 2000 I should be hitting 90% of the time, I keep missing against any enemies with yellow names or race ships. What am I doing wrong?

2) My ship keeps dying. I've filled every medium slot I could spare with shield generators and every light slot I could spare with shield rechargers, resulting in shields of about 6.000 with a regeneration of 130. I got really lucky with an equipment that boosts my shields by 83% to get that number but yellow monsters and race ships keep killing me since they hit with 1000+ damage per shot. Unfortunately, my defense is only about 800 and I got no armor and resistances 'cause I can't spare the slots.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666 View Post
For another, even though the screen claims that with an attack of 2000 I should be hitting 90% of the time, I keep missing against any enemies with yellow names or race ships.
The 90% is basically referring to a normal ship of your level. Higher level, higher rarity, and race ships can have significantly higher defense and thus your actual chance of hitting those type of ships can be a lot lower.
Patreon
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Expert

Also, shields are one part of four parts for your defense:

1.Resistances
2.Shields
3.Armor
4.Defense

If you get one or two components for each them out evenly then you will survive much better I have found.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Elite

I would be able to talk with more assurance if you had posted a snapshot of your ship with its stats and loadout, but here are a few things that caught my attention.

Your medium and light slots are full of shields, and you have three beams. I guess that you also have a frequency generator (beams+shield bonuses) and some computers, or you could not have even 90% chance to hit without mods.

This leaves at most seven slots for armor, generators, and thrusters. Once again, without mods, either you are a master at juggling crew or you have even less than seven slots. Shields require power, so you probably have a lot of generators, and still very little energy regeneration. You also need a least one, if not two thrusters. So there is little if anything left for armor.

So, your ship has three problems: (1) not enough computers for an aimed weapons ship (2) not enough power to maintain a steady rate of fire (3) not enough armor.

So here is what I would suggest:

First and foremost, get some light slot energy leechers. Two at 38+ will let you fire your beams all day long, as long as you do not miss.

Second, keep stacking computers in your medium and light slots until missing is a rare occurrence. Active components or a clocking device may help as well, but using these is a bit trickier.

Third, mount as much armor as you can. Armor is significantly better than shields at higher levels, that is, it is great to have shields to absorb the everyday damage from monsters, but against elites and bosses, you need armor, or you will die.

At this point, you may still have two problems. You may not have enough heavy slots for armor, and you still may be missing too much against some elites and against race (especially TOL) ships. You can kill two birds with one stone by replacing some of your heavy lasers with medium viruses/freezer/EM weapons, and thus free heavy slots in exchange for medium ones.

Try it and tell us how it goes. If you are still having problems, I'm sure someone can offer helpful suggestions.