Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Expert

Default [Feedback] My opinion of course

1.) Travel time is ultra slow. (In every Soldak game so far, I have editted a text file to increase base movement speed for convenience.) In zombasite, some zones are hard to navigate or just tedious to navigate. Mazes or zones not connected and you must run through 3 zones just to get to an area. Out of all the games, this one feels like its almost necessary to increase movement speed.

2.) Skill balancing/Difficulty/Progressing. This was in all Soldak games. The items and stats don't really have a huge impact on character strength, especially early on. I find myself choosing a skill to AoE with, doing ok until I reach level 10+ zones and then the skill is super weak with not many ways to increase the damage, meanwhile monster health continues to increase. It just feels like the balance is out of whack on all Soldak titles.

3.) Skill points in general. We don't get nearly enough skill points. Some classes have like 8 passives and there is no way you can get many of them while getting a attack skill. I suggest having a rare drop potion that grants 1 permanent skill point and possibly stat point potions as well.

4.) Respeccing with money so hard to come by.... I started as a Blight AoE character and at level 12 it was too weak to kill anything so I said "Ok lets respec".... It costs 36s for ONE respec of the skill... I have around 8 or 9 points into it.... So in order to respec, I must grind level 1-8 monsters which is what I can kill until I have 4g+?

5.) Followers are stronger than our characters. Most of the followers I hire have more health than me by double and damage. This isn't a bad thing, except our characters are so weak, I might as well just choose the priest and heal my followers and play as if it was a pet game.

6.) More of a suggestion... Some form of alternate advancement system at the level cap. Maybe a system like paragon in Diablo? (There are a lot of ARPGs right now adopting end game character advancement which roots from Everquests AA system. Its popular and its fun.)
Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Expert

I agree on all counts. Although I'm less sure about the last one, some form of advancement or building up after you've reached the level cap (Something I've never managed in any Soldak game I've tried. Although that's just me). Maybe a way to better your settlement when you reach level cap would be in the cards for an expansion.

In my opinion, the end-game is the game itself, which continues after you stop advancement, and start beating the clans that are opposed to you while helping the ones that are with you. The way it was with Drox Operative after a certain patch.

I'm sure we'll get moderation capability in some form at some point to address some of the issues with gameplay that aren't essential.

Not sure if leaving the money cost for respeccing in is intentional or an oversight from when Soldak removed the money cost for skills. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Expert

Lightbulb

I'm not the kind of player to spend enormous amounts of time to test things. Soldak games on the other hand allow for fast testing by editting text files to "mod" your experience.

For Din's Curse and Depth of Peril I have tested many things such as items and skills early, mid, and end game. I tested it by increasing the drop rate by a lot and kind of "fast forwarding" the base game experience.

What I noticed? There aren't really any items in the game that really make your character stronger. And the skills don't help with it either.

We get skills like "+20% Physical" on a melee attack early game. We start with a weapon that does less than 8 damage. What is 20% of 4? It equals useless. Now take that example and expand it to the entire games item system and skill system across all levels.

When I tested level 100 items and skills, there were minor improvements but defensively, your character still gets steamrolled. Offensively, your power did increase a little bit but not in any "OMG, I'm the strongest Warrior ever" kind of sense.

So my strongest feedback and has been since my first Soldak game is two fold:

1.) Itemization and character stats needs a lot of tweaking. You can be level 10 and kill 9 trillion level 10 monsters and you won't find an item that increases your stats to make things easier, it doesn't exist (Literally).

2.) Skills are fine in creativity but lack balancing. Cooldowns, mana costs, durations, damage, scaling with DoT's, pretty much everything in terms of balance is way out of whack when you compare it to issue #1, they go hand in hand.

ARPG's are about finding loot and increasing skills which both augment each other by character stats and attributes. This game lacks that feeling.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Elite

I agree with what you say about skills and balancing. It is such a huge task, though, that I don't know if it will ever be addressed. I also agree with your feedback about the run speed. I think the default should be increased, as should the default turn speed.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Champion

I have to disagree about the skill & item balancing - it's one of the things I absolutely love about Din's Curse.

You have to shotgun (ie focus on one skill), but then the ever-increasing cost of the skill means some skills which were initially worthless become good value, resulting in a wide variety of skills.

Stats & skills are really powerful and synergise very strongly with items - you have to match the right items with the right stats and you will start to see that even items with small difference on the item can make a big difference playing. For example, taking the '+defence% while holding a shield' skills massively synergises with +defence and dexterity.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei View Post
2.) Skill balancing/Difficulty/Progressing. This was in all Soldak games. The items and stats don't really have a huge impact on character strength, especially early on. I find myself choosing a skill to AoE with, doing ok until I reach level 10+ zones and then the skill is super weak with not many ways to increase the damage, meanwhile monster health continues to increase. It just feels like the balance is out of whack on all Soldak titles.
My number one issue. I tend to get one character into pretty high levels in Soldak's games, but other characters I just don't bother or start messing with the numbers to increase XP, drops, stat gains, skill gains, whatever. I always notice a similar drop in character power after lvl 10 while monsters and NPCs seem to start making greater strides and are just zooming ahead of me. It always manages to discourage me from playing any further as it's just not very fun. I never feel like I'm making any progress with my character, which is a sad feeling in an RPG. I always feel like I'm just barely lagging behind the rest of the game. Tackling on enemies meant for your level becomes a chore and scaling the power curve down cuts the XP gains by such an insane amount.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Elite

One of the reasons I love Soldak's games is that they offer a real challenge. My first few characters in Zombasite died ingloriously, because I tried to play Din's Curse.

Now I carefully choose my companions, build my character as a team member, not a lone wolf, and am handling a world of level 24 with no problem... 25 may be a different matter.

As for the other games, I have no idea what you are talking about. I had level 72s in Din's Curse and many, many level 100 ships in level 200 sectors in Drox.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo elf View Post
My number one issue. I tend to get one character into pretty high levels in Soldak's games, but other characters I just don't bother or start messing with the numbers to increase XP, drops, stat gains, skill gains, whatever. I always notice a similar drop in character power after lvl 10 while monsters and NPCs seem to start making greater strides and are just zooming ahead of me. It always manages to discourage me from playing any further as it's just not very fun. I never feel like I'm making any progress with my character, which is a sad feeling in an RPG. I always feel like I'm just barely lagging behind the rest of the game. Tackling on enemies meant for your level becomes a chore and scaling the power curve down cuts the XP gains by such an insane amount.
I had the same issue several times over with Din's Curse. After taking a break I came back an really focussed on getting the build right (for me this meant taking enough defence, and limiting my skill selection for offence). It made a massive difference and the challenge of keeping ahead of that power curve was insanely addictive.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:07 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
I had the same issue several times over with Din's Curse. After taking a break I came back an really focussed on getting the build right (for me this meant taking enough defence, and limiting my skill selection for offence). It made a massive difference and the challenge of keeping ahead of that power curve was insanely addictive.
The characters I always got far with were Ice Mages. I always had very good success with that spec. They have really powerful spells and excellent utility, buffs and debuffs. Just can't go wrong with Shatter or Ice Storm. I can't seem to find a good build with any other class.

Drox Operative was a different beast, though. All you had to do in that game is keep a variety high level crew to boost your stats so you can equip very powerful ship parts to stay ahead of the power curve.

Last edited by Hobo elf : 10-21-2015 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo elf View Post
The characters I always got far with were Ice Mages. I always had very good success with that spec. They have really powerful spells and excellent utility, buffs and debuffs. Just can't go wrong with Shatter or Ice Storm. I can't seem to find a good build with any other class.

Drox Operative was a different beast, though. All you had to do in that game is keep a variety high level crew to boost your stats so you can equip very powerful ship parts to stay ahead of the power curve.
I started a holy strike build 3 or 4 times before figuring it out - take lots of defence! From levels 10-25 was a constant learning process as I adjusted my skills. I was having an absolute blast at 26 before buying zombasite.

This time round I'm playing a raise skeleton summoner, but at level 7 it is too early to judge my build.