Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
leetby leetby is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5
Default No multiplayer?

Seeing how multiplayer was one of the most requested features of DoP, I'm disappointed too see that it's not on the feature list.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,972
Default

One of these days we will probably do multiplayer. I think my biggest problem (from the technical side) is how to do the master server.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Roland Roland is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
Cool

A good solid SP RPG with lots of re-playability will always trump a mediocre MP game that skimps on story and game features/content to have live servers.

imo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
LordLabyrinth LordLabyrinth is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Indeed. But if Shadow ever does release a multiplayer, you know it's gonna be great. I'll bet we will even get to play with Shadow once in a while.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Kruztee's Avatar
Kruztee Kruztee is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 472
Thumbs up

I'm with Roland 100%
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Delve Delve is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 606
Default

It'll be great because he'll take his time to figure it out properly beforehand. You can't rush good work. I don't doubt that his brain comes around to the question quite regularly (especially as much as we bring it up! :P ) to kick around ideas.
__________________
//TODO: Insert witty one-liner here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
LordLabyrinth LordLabyrinth is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
One of these days we will probably do multiplayer. I think my biggest problem (from the technical side) is how to do the master server.
Are master servers expensive? Maybe a very cheap monthly fee can help pay for your master servers. Like 1 dollar per month or something so that if 100 people play on multiplayer, they pretty much pay for the server.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
yachris yachris is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Default

The real clever thing, I think, would be to figure out how to use (say) Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud thing to do the server code.

That WOULD require a subscription, since EC2 isn't cheap. Well, actually, it IS cheap, given what you get; and the auto-scaling feature means it wouldn't have scaling problems. But it's not clear how easy it is to manage.

That's the REAL cost of doing multiplayer: it isn't the hardware, it's the people who take care of the system 24/7.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLabyrinth View Post
Are master servers expensive? Maybe a very cheap monthly fee can help pay for your master servers. Like 1 dollar per month or something so that if 100 people play on multiplayer, they pretty much pay for the server.
One master server tends to cost between $100 and $300 per month. So the cost part isn't really expensive, but it's not exactly a cheap monthly bill.

A master server introduces a lot of issues. How do you tie a user account to a purchased copy of a game? What if the user sells their copy to someone else? Is the server and all of the data on it secure? What if someone loses their password? What happens when the server goes down? What happens when the server becomes an expense that the company can't afford and needs to take it down? Basically master servers can be complicated and the money part might end up being the smallest issue.

Now having said that, there are tons of benefits of putting up a master server, but those are much more obvious.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Life's Avatar
Life Life is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
One master server tends to cost between $100 and $300 per month. So the cost part isn't really expensive, but it's not exactly a cheap monthly bill.

A master server introduces a lot of issues. How do you tie a user account to a purchased copy of a game? What if the user sells their copy to someone else? Is the server and all of the data on it secure? What if someone loses their password? What happens when the server goes down? What happens when the server becomes an expense that the company can't afford and needs to take it down? Basically master servers can be complicated and the money part might end up being the smallest issue.

Now having said that, there are tons of benefits of putting up a master server, but those are much more obvious.
That is true, but there's always time to learn correct. I agree with most things, that you say, but it depends on how big your fanbase/company is. If you were to team up with lets say, someone like Bioware they you would have a square deal.

Honestly, to those who want it, I think time will tell.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.