Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Amateur

Default No multiplayer?

Seeing how multiplayer was one of the most requested features of DoP, I'm disappointed too see that it's not on the feature list.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

One of these days we will probably do multiplayer. I think my biggest problem (from the technical side) is how to do the master server.
Patreon
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Amateur

Cool

A good solid SP RPG with lots of re-playability will always trump a mediocre MP game that skimps on story and game features/content to have live servers.

imo
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Expert

Indeed. But if Shadow ever does release a multiplayer, you know it's gonna be great. I'll bet we will even get to play with Shadow once in a while.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Elite

Thumbs up

I'm with Roland 100%
Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Elite

It'll be great because he'll take his time to figure it out properly beforehand. You can't rush good work. I don't doubt that his brain comes around to the question quite regularly (especially as much as we bring it up! :P ) to kick around ideas.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
One of these days we will probably do multiplayer. I think my biggest problem (from the technical side) is how to do the master server.
Are master servers expensive? Maybe a very cheap monthly fee can help pay for your master servers. Like 1 dollar per month or something so that if 100 people play on multiplayer, they pretty much pay for the server.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Amateur

The real clever thing, I think, would be to figure out how to use (say) Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud thing to do the server code.

That WOULD require a subscription, since EC2 isn't cheap. Well, actually, it IS cheap, given what you get; and the auto-scaling feature means it wouldn't have scaling problems. But it's not clear how easy it is to manage.

That's the REAL cost of doing multiplayer: it isn't the hardware, it's the people who take care of the system 24/7.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLabyrinth View Post
Are master servers expensive? Maybe a very cheap monthly fee can help pay for your master servers. Like 1 dollar per month or something so that if 100 people play on multiplayer, they pretty much pay for the server.
One master server tends to cost between $100 and $300 per month. So the cost part isn't really expensive, but it's not exactly a cheap monthly bill.

A master server introduces a lot of issues. How do you tie a user account to a purchased copy of a game? What if the user sells their copy to someone else? Is the server and all of the data on it secure? What if someone loses their password? What happens when the server goes down? What happens when the server becomes an expense that the company can't afford and needs to take it down? Basically master servers can be complicated and the money part might end up being the smallest issue.

Now having said that, there are tons of benefits of putting up a master server, but those are much more obvious.
Patreon
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
One master server tends to cost between $100 and $300 per month. So the cost part isn't really expensive, but it's not exactly a cheap monthly bill.

A master server introduces a lot of issues. How do you tie a user account to a purchased copy of a game? What if the user sells their copy to someone else? Is the server and all of the data on it secure? What if someone loses their password? What happens when the server goes down? What happens when the server becomes an expense that the company can't afford and needs to take it down? Basically master servers can be complicated and the money part might end up being the smallest issue.

Now having said that, there are tons of benefits of putting up a master server, but those are much more obvious.
That is true, but there's always time to learn correct. I agree with most things, that you say, but it depends on how big your fanbase/company is. If you were to team up with lets say, someone like Bioware they you would have a square deal.

Honestly, to those who want it, I think time will tell.