Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
That's to say, a slot for a heavy engine and a medium thrusters will give you all the thrust you need for the rest of the game.
But that's still 2 slots for thrust. I'm hoping to get it down to 0 slots just for thrust....if I can remain disciplined enough to not spend on command.

As for crew dying -- it's a by-product of being so crew-heavy. Although I do agree that 10HP is so 1st to 10th level...
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswitha View Post
The average durability for items is about 100 hp. Average durability for crew is 10 hp. If the damage goes to all components equally, the crew will be dead long before anything else has trouble. Maybe the crew could have personal armor. Or just more hp.
Or maybe get damaged last, since they're usually all the way inside the ship, behind shields, armour, structure and even most components.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
But that's still 2 slots for thrust.
That's true. If only there was some way to get more slots.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Elite

Quote:
That's true. If only there was some way to get more slots.
Or to reduce the need for more than one item that gives thrust...

I think both types of build should be able to work... the extremes, and the ones in between. It gives the most range for replayability, and it means the game is balanced. If the only build that works is one where you aim for getting all the slots, then replay is more limited. The challenge is the strategy of HOW to pull off other build ideas -- just like you can make a "carrier" build. Well why not a "small, fast & deadly" build...? If only speed went over 200 I don't see why extremely large ships should be allowed to reach the same speeds as the smaller ships.

Another way to put it is that one of us wants a monster truck, the other wants a racing bike. Nothing wrong with either. Both work, go from point A to point B... But you have to strap some serious jet engines to that truck to go the same speed as that racing bike!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Legend

Quote:
Or to reduce the need for more than one item that gives thrust...

I think both types of build should be able to work... the extremes, and the ones in between. It gives the most range for replayability, and it means the game is balanced. If the only build that works is one where you aim for getting all the slots, then replay is more limited. The challenge is the strategy of HOW to pull off other build ideas -- just like you can make a "carrier" build. Well why not a "small, fast & deadly" build...? If only speed went over 200 I don't see why extremely large ships should be allowed to reach the same speeds as the smaller ships.

Another way to put it is that one of us wants a monster truck, the other wants a racing bike. Nothing wrong with either. Both work, go from point A to point B... But you have to strap some serious jet engines to that truck to go the same speed as that racing bike!
Even if a small ship is workable, I don't think one can claim that the two paths (small and large) are balanced. Getting more slots has an exponential growth effect on just about everything in the game. A large ship will have several different kinds of weapons, enough stats to equip everything (through crew and crew items), defense and attack boosts (though I have yet to find a need for those) etc. A small ship will struggle to keep up. Therefore, the path of least resistance and of most efficiency is to go for a large ship. Additionally, there's the extra cool factor of getting to see and use larger, different ships.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Even if a small ship is workable, I don't think one can claim that the two paths (small and large) are balanced. Getting more slots has an exponential growth effect on just about everything in the game. A large ship will have several different kinds of weapons, enough stats to equip everything (through crew and crew items), defense and attack boosts (though I have yet to find a need for those) etc. A small ship will struggle to keep up. Therefore, the path of least resistance and of most efficiency is to go for a large ship. Additionally, there's the extra cool factor of getting to see and use larger, different ships.
So after you've tried large ship on several race ships, small & speedy shouldn't be an achievable option? The only way to go is large with lots of slots?

I'm trying otherwise. I'm not offended by large ships -- my first ship in every race was working on that assumption. Then I decided to try something completely different. I don't see why a tiny ship pouring points into the other stats couldn't equip stronger shields, weapons, etc. Going on your other suggestion that item drops be around a ship's stats rather than a ship's level (excepting of course level-based items), then the small ship with higher stats should be able to equip better equipment faster, especially in the mid-game if you're not importing crew from other ships. Otherwise you're finding much better crew than I am -- I only have 1 exceptional crew member and I'm playing a lot of ships. With the incremental cost of Command versus the 1:1 ratio of points in other slots....I should be able to keep pace with less crew, and Shadow just change how crew level so that my smaller ship with less crew should have crew leveling faster...

Is there a problem if that works too? I'd have a few less weapons, a few less options in buttons to press, etc. but perhaps that build can survive as well, if those items are chosen carefully.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Amateur

Default two suggestions

1) in DC when you leveled you would have a little flagging plus sign on your character icon. I was plating DO and leveled up 3 times before I even noticed. That would be cool to add back.

2).if you could specifically choose which races appear in the game because I specifically hate one race with a fiery passion and would like to spend the rest of my life without have to kill them on sight. Just a thought
Old 10-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Expert

Quote:
Is there a problem if that works too? I'd have a few less weapons, a few less options in buttons to press, etc. but perhaps that build can survive as well, if those items are chosen carefully.
It works up to a point, sure. But that's like saying "What's wrong with using a rubber ducky to hammer a nail?"
It's frustrating, takes time, and in the end, all you're going to do is make a lot of annoying squeaky noises.

Command build master race.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Elite

Sure, crap ships might be viable.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Expert

Quote:
Sure, crap ships might be viable.
Permanently crappy ships. Because, no respeccing.