Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Din's Curse BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Amateur

Default DRM question and more pre-order question.

Thinking of pre-ordering, but I have a question about DRM. What type of DRM will the full game use?

If I don't pre-order how much will the full game cost? Also when will the pre-orders end?

Also will the full game be available on any other sites like Amazon.com, Steam, Direct 2 Drive etc.?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

We just check to make sure your key is valid (offline). No screwy DRM to get in the way.

I'm not sure what the final price is going to be yet. I'm guessing that beta will last around a month and that's probably how long the pre-order price will last.

We will pitch Din's Curse to some of the portals. I don't know which ones will accept us though. Out of the 3 you mentioned, Amazon's not likely because they will force us into ridiculous price wars with our own game. We got Depths of Peril on Steam but not Kivi's Underworld and Direct 2 Drive accepted Kivi but not DoP, so who knows.
Patreon
Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Champion

I would think Rampant Games would be a friendly venue again....maybe the likes of Gamersgate as well considering they grab many a "less visible" RPG out of Eastern Europe.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
I would think Rampant Games would be a friendly venue again....
I'd think Greenhouse would be- but then both Greenhouse and Rampant only appear to have Kivi's Underworld on their lists. Could be another case like Direct 2 Drive as far as we know. Steven would have to be the one to tell us that one.

Quote:
maybe the likes of Gamersgate as well considering they grab many a "less visible" RPG out of Eastern Europe.
I wouldn't know- there seems to be a high percentage of things from publishers like EA, JoWood, and others. The encouraging thing is that Torchlight is in the mix- which means they're not against indies, per se.

Last edited by Svartalf : 02-03-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
We just check to make sure your key is valid (offline). No screwy DRM to get in the way.

I'm not sure what the final price is going to be yet. I'm guessing that beta will last around a month and that's probably how long the pre-order price will last.

We will pitch Din's Curse to some of the portals. I don't know which ones will accept us though. Out of the 3 you mentioned, Amazon's not likely because they will force us into ridiculous price wars with our own game. We got Depths of Peril on Steam but not Kivi's Underworld and Direct 2 Drive accepted Kivi but not DoP, so who knows.
Thanks for the answers. I am glad I don't have to worry about DRM. I don't like having to worry about having X number of activations left.

I assume it is the same for all your games?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Thanks for the answers. I am glad I don't have to worry about DRM. I don't like having to worry about having X number of activations left.

I assume it is the same for all your games?
Our games use slightly varying keys, but none of them have any DRM getting in the way.

For the portal stuff: Greenhouse took Kivi but not DoP. We have Kivi and DoP on Gamer's Gate. Rampant has both games up but they aren't a portal, they are an affiliate. It really boils down to we will talk to various portals that give us a reasonable percent and don't screw around with the price (I should blog about all of this some day), but if they accept the game is completely up to them.
Patreon
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
I wouldn't know- there seems to be a high percentage of things from publishers like EA, JoWood, and others. The encouraging thing is that Torchlight is in the mix- which means they're not against indies, per se.
hehe. this is an annoying comment. I like gamersgate a lot and use them all the time so I feel I have to respond. what does having big name publisher games on gamersgate have to do with them being indie friendly or not? have you seen the amount of small budget/indie games you can get through gamersgate? I think they take on more than any others. I have no idea what rates they offer though, but both really small publishers and independent games they definitely do better than any other portal site I've seen. take a couple of minutes at least to look at what they offer on there before you make a comment like that.

and also the runic guys have a pretty big backer in perfect world, they're far from the most independent company out there.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailed View Post
hehe. this is an annoying comment. I like gamersgate a lot and use them all the time so I feel I have to respond. what does having big name publisher games on gamersgate have to do with them being indie friendly or not? have you seen the amount of small budget/indie games you can get through gamersgate? I think they take on more than any others. I have no idea what rates they offer though, but both really small publishers and independent games they definitely do better than any other portal site I've seen. take a couple of minutes at least to look at what they offer on there before you make a comment like that.
Considering that I largely don't buy/play Windows titles other than maybe indie stuff- and I prefer doing Linux stuff (sort of an eating one's on dog food sort of thing there... ) I typically look at the stuff they're featuring and go from there. I wouldn't have dug in very deep on GamersGate because they've not gotten any Linux stuff to sell (yet...). If that was in error...mea culpa. Past experiences with dealing with outlets dealing with the big names like EA, etc. tended to be less than favorable from my end of things. I'd be tickled beyond words if they're "indie" friendly- because it also translates into good prospects for other projects down the line.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Amateur

So, if I understand correctly, you can buy the game once and then use it on different PCs you own? Like my work PC and my home PC?

If this is true, how do I DL the game again without going through the preorder again? I DLd it at home last night, but now I NEED it at work
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectf View Post
So, if I understand correctly, you can buy the game once and then use it on different PCs you own? Like my work PC and my home PC?

If this is true, how do I DL the game again without going through the preorder again? I DLd it at home last night, but now I NEED it at work
LOL - thankfully it is on my macbook which I brought to work today, however I DID consider installing iton my work PC