Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Expert

Default Invasion now or later?

So I just picked up the game (hi everybody!) and wondering as a new player if I should pick up the Invasion expansion right away to have a better first experience (or would it just make it harder with the invasions?) or if I should play the game for a bit and then get it later (id prefer not to have to start over though).
Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Elite

I would say, get the extension pack. There is a lot of interesting stuff that's exclusive to it, and which makes the game a lot more fun. Furthermore, I think that it is significantly easier to design and equip a super-powerful ship in IotA, than it is in the basic game, because of chips. That said, you do not need a super-powerful ship unless you want to play at sector levels 125+ (ship levels go up to 100, but you can make sectors up to level 200)

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, because I do not have a very good idea of what the basic game is nowadays. I have been playing the expansion pack since the first day of Beta. The game still holds two challenges for me: getting a ship that can safely deal with sector level 200 again (I had one, but it's way harder since Beta 1.027) and getting a Command Zero ship to level 100 (never got higher than 82)
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Champion

I'd suggest getting it now, as it adds a lot of interesting things. It's not like some other games where it adds an additional "campaign" or anything specific like that, just lots more fun on top of what's in the base game.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Elite

Totally worth it! If you're new to the game, Scavenger are fun to play as, & might have defeated the Fringe as the best Ship to learn the game on, once ya get your first Armor Component in-game for the Scavenger Component to Synergize with.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Amateur

If your still on the fence, I'd say get it, but with the caveat that you'll want to turn Drox Guild quests to minimum when your starting. It seems more like a challenge mode sort of option if you want more spice in your game, but it very much can put you in a screwed position if you are new or starting up. At least that's with my previous experience with the base game and a day or two of Invasion.