Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Champion

Default First run through of Beta: More than worth the money :)

Shadow, and I'm sure PixelLord you had your hands in the graphics, and everyone else involved: really, really nice work with the beta. It's a definite advance in (almost all) the right directions for Din's Curse.

The following will be an editorial of my first run through of my first town in the Beta Expansion.

My order for the game went through at 8:56am this morning. I installed the game soon after that and started right in. I just recently finished the first town at about 1:45pm PST.

I decided to test out the expansion with my character:
Dorktastic (I make up stupid names for my characters)
Necromancer / Weaponmaster (not the easiest combination to play, but fun)

I loaded up a previously almost-complete town Elite town -- no more bosses, only one quest left to kill one named monster "before foozle causes more trouble" -- and the town was a few levels above me, I forget how many.

Everything seemed pretty chill in the beginning, and about 15 minutes in, all hell broke loose, both above and below the town.

I decided to start snapping off a bunch of screenshots a few hours into the game to chronicle the adventures.

Let's just speed up to the point of the images and, while no monster ever became a new boss of the town, I was flooded with lots, and lots, and lots of new quests.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Champion

Default Where we last left our hero

I can't remember how many trips I had made above and below town to quell various problems here and there.

Quests kept arriving, problematic monsters below town.

People stealing items from above town.

People cursing things.

People letting scouts into the town.

Bad people, they need spankings, but the worst I could do was "pick a fight with them." Hmmm... seems like Din's Curse Demon War towns could use "Exorcisms" and "Judicial Tribunals".

Ego weapons are really, really cool. The first level up of the weapon helped quell some of my frustration that I was feeling a the moment.

The anti-magic machine didn't really last long enough for me to see it's effect. I forgot what it did, but I'm happy I was able to kill it so fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0000.jpg (91.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ss0001.jpg (54.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ss0002.jpg (46.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Champion

Default Townspeople still hate my pets :(

Throughout time, us necromancers have been discriminated against. Our skeletal dogs and cats, they have feelings too, you know. I don't know why the towns folk want to kill them more regularly (seems like this is post 1.011 patch) than they used to.

Even Katalyssa, whom I tried to save, decided that she didn't want to be saved, but would rather attack my very thorn imbued doggy.

Poor Katalyssa, I tried to save her, but alas, she beat herself to death.

Oh well, with her violent nature, she probably would have only multiplied the problems in town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0003.jpg (96.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg ss0008.jpg (49.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ss0009.jpg (44.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Champion

Default Townspeople don't like their town very much

The very animated townspeople gave me many new opportunities to solve quests, get lots of experience points, and rise multiple levels. I don't think I've risen so many levels in one little town.

I had opportunities to find stolen shipments, stop curses, and purify the water supply, along with many more quests that seemed to never end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0004.jpg (86.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Champion

Default Exciting Fights!

The fighting has gotten a lot more exciting.

Deadly.

Exciting.

And there I go, dying again, proving how much more deadly the fights have become.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0014.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ss0015.jpg (38.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss0017.jpg (49.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ss0018.jpg (33.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Champion

Default Cat fight!

Hmmm, law and order.

It seems right to fine someone for stealing from someone else.

It also seems right for someone, in these more stone age towns, to attack someone who stole from them.

But should a person be placed in double jeopardy? If someone is lawfully dealt with for their misdeeds, should they be fined and then immediately attacked by the victim of their crime?

I'm not so sure, but as a necromancer, I could always use a few more bodies to join my legions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0023.jpg (90.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Champion

Default As if it wasn't hard enough being a dungeon crawler...

I pop back to the surface and find out that a really bad monster has done many bad things in the dungeon below.

So I head down...

Only to find out that the town above was almost as bad as the monster below.

Decisions, decisions. Hmmm, I'll stay in the dungeon.

Even though I die down there, it's more heroic than family counseling the townspeople.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0024.jpg (90.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss0026.jpg (69.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ss0027.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Champion

Default New quests

I ran into lots of cool new quests.

I love being able to recharge my teleport stone.

And that solving various townsperson quests will occasionally eject really bad seeds.

For a moment I started to think Din was playing a joke on me for being a really bad person in my other life. The towns people started to ask me to mine for them. Mine for them? Really? But it wasn't too bad, they gave me a nice cut of the spoils. And lots of people wanted gold. A virtual gold fever swept through the town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0030.jpg (52.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ss0000.jpg (93.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ss0001.jpg (91.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ss0009.jpg (70.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ss0011.jpg (73.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Champion

Default Luminary?

One very needy townsperson, once I solved all of their quests, became a Town Luminary. I'm not quite sure what that is, but they did seem to stop being so lazy. Maybe I helped someone to help themselves?

Other town people were much more materialistic, my favorite type, and would leave me treasures in the middle of the town after I helped them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0012.jpg (68.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ss0017.jpg (78.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss0016.jpg (82.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Champion

Default A total of a couple of hours into the game... BEASTMASTER!

No matter how much counseling I gave the townspeople, they still continued to argue. Bad townspeople. I just left them to kill each other, and yes, sometimes they did just that. Not sure why stealing was so bad as to generate a quest, but second degree murder was tolerated. No matter, it gave me lots of bodies to rummage through for items.

The merchants in the dungeons seemed a lot more prepared, especially the Beastmaster. Who would want to mess with someone who had so many body guards? Not me, and the monsters I purchased were very good pets, often even better -- like Elite better -- than the monsters I could raise in the dungeon.

And items? Oh yes, there were items. Like of wonderful purple and orange and even some really, really good yellow ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0034.jpg (92.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss0019.jpg (79.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ss0020.jpg (88.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ss0021.jpg (86.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ss0024.jpg (76.7 KB, 7 views)