Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Champion

Default Another new trinket: empty vials

Along my way I even found an empty vial, lacking any potion whatsoever. After picking up this vial, I decided to follow its instructions and fill it with something. I found a water puddle, and filled up the vial... to get some water.

Hmmm, I bet there are other uses. Now I just gotta find more empty vials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0026.jpg (79.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ss0028.jpg (76.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Champion

Default Hours later, the town was under control

Many townspeople had died, some of the bad ones who kept picking fights with others I had to dispatch with my own giant axe and a flurry of whirlwinds.

I got yet another level for my weapon, and (if I remember right) a total of 3 levels for myself.

The game had slowed enough to where I could finally complete some quests that I just couldn't get to earlier in the game, even finding the missing shipment of items that someone had stolen earlier.

Finally, hours after my first foray into the Demon War, I was victorious.

It was time for a pint of Necro Ale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0025.jpg (54.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ss0029.jpg (52.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ss0030.jpg (79.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg ss0031.jpg (53.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Champion

Default Conclusion from my first town experience

In general I always look at things from what I most want from them.

From video games I want entertainment, and I want value.

Do I think the Demon War expansion gives more value than I paid for it? Hell yes.

Is the Demon War expansion fun? Very much so! Amen, pass the beer nuts.

What did I like the most? Almost all of it. I think it's better to talk about what I don't think works very well -- see the next block -- and just say that if I don't say that I didn't like it, then I do like it.

What do I not like about the Expansion?

I think some of this comes from the 1.011 patch in general, but here are my thoughts.
  • Din's Curse 1.011 and the Demon War expansion adds more challenge to the game, which is very needed for the power gamers. But Din's Curse also boasts 196 different potential classes, and I am beginning to feel that many combinations are not going be viable to play. I have never died so many times with my Necromancer/Weaponmaster as I did today. Even with Dexterity potions, even with Vitality potions, I got one and two shotted by lots of monsters. Things just seem more deadly, and in ways that I'm not sure my non-power-gamer character, or other non-power-hybrids will be able to gracefully deal with. Maybe this is just life in Din's Curse, but I'd hate to see this game go the direction of Diablo II or others where there really is ONLY room for power gamers.
  • I stated it elsewhere, but I'd love to have another way of "finding evidence" other than a pixel hunt in the town. Adding more "R" to an "ARPG" is always healthy, but of everything that the expansion adds, and it adds a ton of great things, this is a real negative for me. Maybe, instead of hunting/pecking for evidence in the town, the "Talk" button for the NPCs could be turned into "Interrogate" when a crime is being solved?
  • Since NPCs are now more important, I would like them to be placed on the map just like the Warmaster, Steward, etc. I don't want to have to memorize their locations, nor do I want to always hunt and peck for them with the mouse.
  • It was funny at first, but I now think NPCs who get caught fighting should be punished. Maybe they get tattooed with "Poor Impulse Control" on their forehead, or there is a tribunal, but if I were running a civilized town, I think they should at least fight a lot less than the monsters below the town.
  • Can we get little icons floating above the heads of the really unhappy NPCs? That way we know who are naughty and who are nice? Would also be nice to be able to hide those icons -- config setting -- if we were in a town where we didn't care about the NPCs.
  • If the hunt and peck for evidence is going to stay in the game, is it possible to make sure that the evidence will always be placed in an area that is visible? Some of the 3d walls, houses, and especially the initial entrance to the dungeon can make certain evidence placements virtually impossible to find.

That's it. A very small list of things I don't like, a giant list of things that I do.

Very much looking forward to the next steps this game takes, to the final version of the expansion, and hell even to the next expansions
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Elite

I pretty much agree with everything Jeremy said above. Those are all pretty good ideas! I still love all the surprises this game can bring the player. I was delighted when a young relative played the game. I was sitting out in the living room listening to his curses, yells, and other extreme comments... he loved it because of the unpredictability! Just great!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Amateur

so-nso has been fined. so-nso is starving. so-nso is fighting urist.

these xpack townsfolk are worse than Dorfs in that other game.

i realize that limited town recalls are a feature, but how about an expensive recall stone recharger, or rare shrine-
maybe a vendor that sells random maps?

nit picking, but the quest-load and lethality difference between DC and DCDW is stunning.

more class possibilities does not equal more fun if only a few are viable.

agree largely with jerms up there, well-written critique of current build.

also a plug for better pet management/healing options, especially with the new beastmaster(!)

Last edited by Feral23 : 12-31-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: agreeing with j-osborne
Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Champion

Just played a bit of the expansion today and I have really been enjoying it so far. Just a couple of early quick thoughts:

-- From the little bit of the expansion I've seen so far my favorite effects are the warden's ward effects and the snow which are really well done. Really surprised to see some of the snow stay on the ground when it starts snowing heavy. Also the reflective water pools are really a improvement over the old pools.

-- Had a dungeon with the new "hell" level set, really cool and the voice that you sometimes hear is a nice addition.

-- The Anti-magic field kinda chugs my antiquated computer playing the game in native resolution. I have been turning the effects down all the way if I have a destroy anti-magic machine quest. Certainly a nice effect though and most machines probably won't have a problem with the effect.

-- Demon War feels like it bridges the gap between Din's and DoP. Both games are entirely different when it comes to scope and approach but Demon War with the more interactive NPC's make the towns feel much more alive and it just reminds me of a more refined concept from DoP.

Playing for only a couple hours I have to say everyone working on the expansion did great work.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Expert

I agree that the anti-magic field slows things down (2.1 GHz MacBook here).

I'm also getting swarmed constantly in dungeons. The pic below shows my level 19 Hunter/Ice Mage being swarmed by Elite, Champion, Armored, etc. Krall on a level 8 dungeon. You can see 3 or 4 Elites. This was taken after thinning the herd.

I had saved the town already, so I went to a new town and dungeon, and behold, on the first dungeon floor... swarms! WTH?

The 1.011 patch was already making life miserable for my character. Now Demon Wars is ripping him a new one. He went from dying once (per 900 something kills), to now over 16 times.

To make matters worse, drops are almost non-existent. Even after beating Bosses, Elites, completing quests, etc. Nothing drops quite a bit of the time. And even if it's something, it's nothing my character can use or even good. So, my Hunter/Ice mage is barely denting monsters a couple levels lower than him. There's just nothing to be found in dungeons or even in shops. Very frustrating.

There's a lot to like about both the 1.011 patch and Demon Wars, but not if you're my character...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swarm.jpg (15.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by EternalChampion : 12-31-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typed "Demon's Curse" instead of "Demon Wars" lol
Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

The pace will get slowed in version 1.012.
Patreon
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The pace will get slowed in version 1.012.
Awesome. I wasn't complaining enough to stop playing...