Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Elite

Default Thoughts on game speed, population

The towns I've done so far haven't been that much more crazy than pre Demon War. I still haven't gotten to break up a fight, get someone out of debt, mine for them, or find evidence in town, even once; maybe I'm just "lucky". I like the new range of quests I've done, and the ones I haven't I'm looking forward to trying out. The squashing bugs one makes me giggle. I also love the rate you gain XP in small dungeon depths, where there are tons of quests on each level.

One confusing thing about monster population for me is that there are now two separate options: Dangerous Monsters and Raging Hordes. It's possible to check them both: do they just cancel each other out in that case and act as if you've checked neither? If so, I think those check boxes should be replaced by a drop down menu where you can choose only one or the other or normal.

To address complaints about too much action above ground, I suggest adding another drop down menu in the world creation screen, to control townsperson rowdiness. You could have:

Peaceloving Citizens: Every citizen is a law-abiding goody two shoes.
Average Town: This town has an average range of ruffians.
Total Anarchy: Who needs demons when you've got citizens like this?

With this change, I don't think the pace needs to be further slowed down. People could choose whether they want to just play hero or juggle mayor and counselor too. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Nobear : 01-01-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Elite

The very first town I played in DW had the Rowdy modifier, and I think that needs to be toned down. It seemed like I was pressing the X button in message text almost constantly to keep them off the screen. I also think that reputation is now far too easy to get. This same first town had several "starvation" quests which give a lot of rep. My character is on pace for freedom at level 10-11, which seems way too early.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Legend

[quote=Nobear;19792]

QUOTE]

Hahahaha. That would great. It would almost feel like you are fighting 2 or 3 different battles at once. Protecting the town, the dungeon and slaughtering the nuts.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Amateur

I've been finding it annoying/funny when one person starts a fight with half the town at once.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Elite

This is slightly off-topic, but I think it'd be interesting if the dissidents had more of a negative effect on the town. Though admittedly, it's still too early for me to know exactly what the ramifications of some of their behaviors are.

I caught my apothecary worshiping the evil god Mortus and he was banished to the dungeon, where he subsequently went renegade. But, what does he do in town before being caught or if I take too long on the quest? Can he convert other unhappy citizens, eventually starting a secret, dark cult in the town? When banished, can he eventually build an altar to Mortus in the dungeon like a boss does?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Worshipping evil gods can lead them to do other things.
Patreon
Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
I'm all for this addition. I like configuration, and I think this will help a lot.

Given a couple things Shadow said, I do think that there is somewhat just a statistical relationship problem going on. Just because it's statistically improbably for a person to flip a coin 100 times in a row and get heads every single time, it's not impossible. If "goody two shoes" just lowers the probability, it's still quite possible to have a goodly town still errupt into chaos.

In terms of this game being an expansion to the original, where the townspeople have personalities and pseudo lives, being able to simulate the external factors within an enforced society might help. Even in a den of thieves, which might be a better choice instead of "Total Anarchy", there might be a whole class of oppressed citizens suppressed by a ruling mafia-like structure. It's a state of fear, and sure that town might be feared by other towns, but the town itself probably survives because they don't have lots of infighting. They're one big family, with some sort of purpose, that brought them all together.

The point is that there is, in any society, some external force that brings the society together. It might be a despot. It might be respect for elders. It might be the fear of [a] G/god. There is often some external force. It would be great to bring that external force into the game. Maybe the threat of Din cursing them all into saving towns just like their own should they be naughty instead of nice

Right now, the question for me is why are the townspeople even willing to live together? It makes sense for a character with a "Bully quality" to start fights with people. But for the Weaponsmith whom I sell most of my gear to and whom I must assume I make quite wealthy, it doesn't make sense for him to go out and pick fights with the poor and the hungry unless he's some sort of psychotic bully. His needs are taken care of. It _does_ make some sense for an overly rich merchant to be plagued by the poor, underprivileged class in the town.

Stream of consciousness over. I guess what I am trying to say is that I love the town interaction and pseudo-life, and I think it can only get better over time. Creating pseudo-life has got to be difficult, and I think the only way to solve it is to make it more complex, not less, but have the complexities make sense vs. having stuff like fights seemingly occur just by the random roll of a d100.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

It's probably not coming across enough yet, but picking fights is not random. It's based on how much they like the person in question and how unhappy they are.

In general the happier and wealthier the people in town, the more they will behave.
Patreon
Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
It's probably not coming across enough yet, but picking fights is not random. It's based on how much they like the person in question and how unhappy they are.
Since I haven't started a character from scratch, I haven't looked at the help files in some time. Perhaps this is all cleared up in the help files.

If it is, I'll go look there.

If not, is there some way to deduce the relationship between others in town?

Even better, is there a way to fix stale relationships/repair a townsperson's sullied honor/give them marriage and family counseling?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Expert

Personally I'm loving the new craziness of the expansion, makes it really exciting. Of course I think I've already broken a new record for dead hardcore characters.