Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Expert

Default Feedback Build 0.900

Intro:
New Soldak Logo intro video looks really cool. It played only at first start for me though.

Main Menu:
Perhaps it would be great to have a Play Intro button on the Main Menu instead of playing it automatically at each start. This button would be a nice addition in any case.

Creating Ship Screen:
Rotate Ship is very slow, perhaps faster would feel better.
It would be great to be able to mouseclick the ship and rotate it directly.

Multiplayer -> Create local Server:
Box Server Name doesn't scroll when entering longer name instead allows writing into the background outside the box.

Last edited by Lyranaar : 06-14-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Inserted Main Menu section
Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Expert

Multiplayer -> Minimap:
When playing together it seems difficult to find each other quickly. Perhaps arrows pointing to other players on the edge of screen or minimap would be very helpful.

Gameplay:
At the beginning it is difficult to find out if a ship is hostile/aggressive (until it shoots you of course). Perhaps this could be shown somehow when quickly hovering over the ship.

When solving a quest the solving window is closed (in Din it stayed open). When solving multiple quests in a go keeping the window open would be nice.

Inventory/Trading:
At first glimpse this seems a bit overwhelming, especially the "which is which". Perhaps showing more clearly which part is trader, which is the active ship and which is the cargo space would help.
Showing the picture of the players ship in the Ship Components window or a background picture of it would be great.

Items probably would be easier to identify if each is quickly described as "Shield" or "Weapon" etc as a description after the name (Like the description of the escape pod, only shorter).

It would be great to be able to sort items at the trader into light, medium and heavy stuff.

Perhaps a tool tip when first opening the trade window could tell more about the "plus" on items and the "I" (as most new players don't read the manual before playing).

Last edited by Lyranaar : 06-14-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Inserted Inventory/Trading section
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Elite

I have played about an hour's worth and have acquired several levels.

In terms of polish, this is the best game Soldak has ever produced. Period. Way to take it to the next level guys. Very nice interface, great graphics, fantastic sound. I agree with Rosawitha's earlier post about the intro voice, though. While the intro itself is a fantastic addition, the voice is a bit over the top (the guy sounds too cool for his own good, or like the front man of a horrible pop band, and it makes me want to punch him).

Gameplay wise, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how I was supposed to get quests. In Din's and Depths, you always knew where the quests were because there were characters in a main hub with big question marks over their heads. In Drox, you actually have to fly around for a bit, discover a race, and then figure out that you can talk to them and receive quests from them. It isn't immediately clear how this process works at first, and you can easily end up flying around for 10 minutes and not realize that you actually need to talk to a race and engage in a dialogue option with them in order to see if they have quests for you. Perhaps you could add a tutorial hint explaining this fairly early on.

The only real gripe I have about the gameplay at the moment is that the thrust speed (the movement speed of your ship) feels too slow for the default starting ship. I realize that you will eventually get items that boost thrust, but I think new players will want to hit the ground running as it were, and the slow speed of your ship breaks immersion because your first experience with the game is moving very slowly through empty space. I would like the movement speed of the first ship to be more similar to the movement speed in Din's Curse or Diablo 2. Max Schaefer (lead designer of Diablo 2 and Torchilight 2) talked at this year's E3 about how important movement speed is to immersion in ARPG's and I think he is right. These kinds of game are about running, gunning, and collecting loot on a big roller coaster ride. Maybe speed up the roller coaster just a tad so that the beginning of the ride is a little faster.

Also, great job on increasing the depth of the game mechanics from the typical ARPG standards. The way the components work together with the crew attributes and bay space constraints is really brilliant.

Finally, I found myself missing my skill trees and special abilities from Din's and Depths, but I assume I'll get some sort of special abilities later in the game. Right now I can just shoot with the left mouse button, and I'd like to be able to break up my shooting with some cool skills of some kind.

More feed back soon, after I've beaten the current sector!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
The only real gripe I have about the gameplay at the moment is that the thrust speed (the movement speed of your ship) feels too slow for the default starting ship. I realize that you will eventually get items that boost thrust, but I think new players will want to hit the ground running as it were, and the slow speed of your ship breaks immersion because your first experience with the game is moving very slowly through empty space. I would like the movement speed of the first ship to be more similar to the movement speed in Din's Curse or Diablo 2. Max Schaefer (lead designer of Diablo 2 and Torchilight 2) talked at this year's E3 about how important movement speed is to immersion in ARPG's and I think he is right. These kinds of game are about running, gunning, and collecting loot on a big roller coaster ride. Maybe speed up the roller coaster just a tad so that the beginning of the ride is a little faster.
I told you so, Steven.

hint, Save your finger with "W"
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Finally, I found myself missing my skill trees and special abilities from Din's and Depths, but I assume I'll get some sort of special abilities later in the game. Right now I can just shoot with the left mouse button, and I'd like to be able to break up my shooting with some cool skills of some kind.
You should start getting more active use components as you level. This is one of those things I need to see how it actually works out with real players. My intention is that people will end up with of usable components like they would if they had skills. If this doesn't happen I will balance things better and/or add new components.
Patreon
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
You should start getting more active use components as you level. This is one of those things I need to see how it actually works out with real players. My intention is that people will end up with of usable components like they would if they had skills. If this doesn't happen I will balance things better and/or add new components.
It might be good to have each of the races' starting ships begin with one active component. That way, you'd introduce the concept from the beginning of the game and the promise of finding more such components would be readily apparent and enticing from the outset.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Champion

Quote:
It might be good to have each of the races' starting ships begin with one active component. That way, you'd introduce the concept from the beginning of the game and the promise of finding more such components would be readily apparent and enticing from the outset.
+1

I haven't played the game yet, but I think it would make the racial choice a more interesting one if the starting loadout for the ships were different based on race (if this is already the case, ignore me...). The techno races could start out with a shield, or an engine booster, while a tactical race could start with a weapon component.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Expert

Item Fire Fighting Tools:
Part of the description seems to be off place. "Things like barriers, cloud seeding and slurry." Or this description is too short and missing something.

The first sentence should probably be "...but otherwise they aren't..".
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM
Legend

So far, great game and here's what i like/want more of-

-Classless system that works. The races dont really have differences that you get (at least not that i know). Steven i think that this would be even cooler if each trait was explained. It stated that if you play a certain race, you get different traits. I think it would be cool if the traits were explained if they have any merit to the game.

-Mostly, that you werent making this game without us dop and dins curse fans left out. I can already feel the similarities to dins and especially depths of peril as the factions were done excellently so far. The regeneration obelisks (dins curse), factions and relations (dop). This is the highest selling point, no one gets left out.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Amateur

Interesting so far.

It would be nice if activating modules didn't cancel a movement order.

Also, while you can click on an object/scan target and you move there - if you just click empty space, your drive only stays on for the duration of the click. It'd be nice to be able to click-move.

ASWD navigation - it's not obvious (to me) that A/D only work when you're stationary. As soon as the drive comes on, the ship points toward the mouse cursor and ignores left/right
This makes mouse-shooting hard when running away!

The 'hit box' for a starlane structure ends considerably before the bottom of the visible structure (ie where you can click on it)

The game is stuttering very badly for me at times, often in combat (which is very annoying). Pauses can be up to 2 seconds or shorter.
I've got a cpu monitor running, and on this quad-core, only two cores are even showing activity .. neither even slightly straining. Overall cpu usage about 10%, so I don't think it's cpu.
Dins Curse demo did the same, but no other games do this.