Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Amateur

The energy system really needs an overhaul.

Carrying multiple weapons is effectively useless. Yes, some enemies are more resistant to certain damage types, but I never bother to remember which and can usually plod through them eventually anyways.

Since the weapons all pull from the same power pool and consume roughly equal amounts of energy, there is never any point to carrying multiple primary weapons.

Furthermore the amount of power it would take to fire a laser cannon capable of doing any real damage would be several orders of magnitude greater than it would to launch a round from a rail gun at sufficient velocity so as to impact with the force of a nuclear explosion.

So rather than have everything pulling from the same pool of power, which simply isn't going to work no matter how you balance it, have missiles, mines, rail guns, and bombs require ammunition.

I'd also have rail gun suffer an attack penalty to simulate the difference between guided munitions (missiles) or instant transmission weapons (beams) and unguided munitions (rail gun projectiles). Ideally it would even increase as the distance increased. Beam weapons do less damage over distance, but in space the rail gun is going to hit just as hard at 1000 kilometers as it is at 10,000 km, but the chance of hitting the target would greatly decrease at range. So as the range increases, the attack penalty would as well.

In return for limited ammunition and decreased accuracy the rail gun hits like a truck and consumes almost no energy to fire.

Mechwarrior balanced munitions and beams in a similar fashion and did a pretty decent job.

(If you really want to get fancy, then the ammunition stored in the cargo hold could possibly add to the weight value of your ship. Further balancing things)
Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry about the W thing. The repeat is taking hold and making it constantly toggle back and forth when it should be.
Patreon
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Champion

No problem. I think the Legion got a good laugh when instead of escaping from their planet I stood there stutter stepping again and again.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Expert

Is there a way to use right mouse button for thrust and left for select and shoot?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
Right, and you can use the S key to stop. I like that movement system a lot!
*sigh*

You shouldn't even need to use the 'S' key to stop, if the 'W' key is listed as a Toggle.

W on, W off grasshoppa. The only way a toggle should work.

Edit: If you guys want two keys for your thruster 'Toggle', then I want a separate programmable key for toggling it on/off as in the current iteration. I really have no need for a separate stop key and it just makes more work for trying to fire (using the # keys at the top of the keyboard) and toggle thrusters at the same time.

Last edited by NefariousKoel : 06-19-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Expert

Ok, two factions collide about this one.

Perhaps adding the setting for "pure toggling" W and the "nervous toggling" having it true W/S (if hit it stays, but hitting it repeatedly doesn't ruin anything) would be a solution.

In comparison to the evergrowing wishlist this is probably easier to implement and would make everyone (hopefully) happy.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Elite

Shadow says he's going to fix it so the repeat no longer interferes. I'd be fine with that.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Amateur

This may have been mentioned before, and it is extremely minor, but if you have a carrier bay and then remove it, all of your deployed fighters disappear. This is the intended functionality, I assume.

However, if you have multiple carrier bays and remove only one, then the fighters deployed from the removed carrier bay remain until destroyed or you quit.

As I said, a minor bug. I suppose it could be exploited if someone was really determined. Park, deploy a bunch of fighters, then load up your normal gear and roll into a big firefight. Ultimately that is a lot of prep though.

EDIT: Also thanks for posting rights.

I made a post at the top of this page that didn't show up (was waiting in the moderation line) until a number of other posts had followed it. Give it a look for thoughts on the imbalance of the energy system as it stands. I'm curious as to what people think.

Last edited by GunFox : 06-19-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Legend

I don't know if you want to bring ammo into this. Ammo can get fairly annoying to manage.

The question is, what is the goal of the energy system. In DC and DoP, you easily gained a variety of spells - AOE ones, DoTs and single hits of different flavors. Managing energy (mana) meant sometimes using more expensive spells to take out larger groups of enemies, since AOE spells scale at no extra cost.

In Drox's lower levels, you can barely field 2 weapons, so AOE is often not an option. You get about 5 laser hits on a full tank of energy, which is completely inadequate given the number of enemies you have to fight simultaneously. The 2 weapons you can have are usually a beam and a missile, so it's a good idea to differentiate them with different damage/energy rates.

Truthfully, it's extremely hard to get the energy levels and rates right. I suggest lowering the energy costs by 1/2 and then slowly raising them over time while gauging player feedback. In the meantime, the cooldowns do most of the work.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Champion

It looked like waypoints carried over to a new sector. They should probably be cleared when a new sector is created. I may have been hallucinating though and actually put it there by accident.

When you compare items, mouse over an item on a vendor and it auto-compares to what you have equipped, it only shows one of that module type when you could have multiples equipped. This happened to me when I had two shields equipped and I went to a vendor to compare upgrades it would only show one of the shields I had equipped.