Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 10:24 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.lamothe View Post
I've been running all my thrust from a medium-slot (power-load consuming) component since midway through my first sector, and am towards the end of my fifth.
What component is this? I haven't found anything like that.

I agree that the 'puzzle-y' part of this is kind of cool, but the system is really too inflexible. I don't think it necessarily needs a lot more slack as that would remove the tension, but a little more slack is definitely needed.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
What component is this? I haven't found anything like that.
My current one is called "Cheap Pulsed Plasma Thruster II"; that particular one requires 20 Helm and 92 power-load and provides 152 thrust (and some defense). Iirc I had a much lower-requirement thruster for a while, but it's been a while so I may be remembering incorrectly.

I have a couple of thruster upgrades tucked away for when I get a bigger ship and pump some more points into Helm.

Quote:
I agree that the 'puzzle-y' part of this is kind of cool, but the system is really too inflexible. I don't think it necessarily needs a lot more slack as that would remove the tension, but a little more slack is definitely needed.
Some more would be nice, as a lot of equipment types are probably unlikely to see much use in the until you're already level 25 or so and have a 4/5/5 ship or something like that.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Champion

Quote:
I personally don't like lugging ammo around, and much prefer a salvo of 6-10missiles and then a long reload time, or several bursts of the railgun and then a longer reload time.
I'm not liking the ammo idea either, but I do wish the tradeoffs between weapon types was a bit more meaningful. I normally have ideas and solutions, but I'm coming up blank on this.

Quote:
What's clear to me though is that there simply aren't enough slots in the early game as it is right now. There should be room to experiment, but there really isn't. You HAVE to have 1 heavy slot for a ramjet. There's no way to do without it. You HAVE to have 1 heavy slot for a nuclear plant. They're the only way you can be comfortable with the power load -- otherwise you have to use solar panels (medium) and you're always short on power. So you're left with one heavy weapon. Beams are the only reliable heavy weapon that's cheap to fire.

For your medium components, you want a shield. You want armor. You want a computer. So you're left with around 1 slot for a medium weapon. Sure, you can prioritize other stuff, but then you lose some things that are really needed. And how are you supposed to experiment with some bonus weapons or special use weapons?
I don't think its quite as bad as you're saying, but the options are limited. I tried real hard to find some alternate configurations and the only one I have found is to armor tank instead of shield tank with medium armor regen modules. Even with that, I'm not sure it will scale very well as I only got that character to level 5.

The medium power modules looked good, but I was unable to make them work. Maybe Steven could kill two birds with one stone by making some weapons have a reduced power load, but consume more energy per shot as a tradeoff?

The light slots could use some variety. Those energy regen modules are great, but that and crew is all I have seen or used. I still haven't seen a shield regen module, but maybe I just haven't gotten high enough level. I would love to see some QOL components here. A radar focused light module, shield regen, maneuvering jets to increase turn speed, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, some ideas unrelated to this:
- Those floating space Barrel/Hazard/Traps, I haven't seen any that I can target. Exploding AOE barrels would be fun.

- Mining ships that mine asteroids - They can use weapon effects on the asteroids (easy animation) and it adds a bit more life to the sector beyond colonizing, diplomat, and cruise vessels.

- Pirate bases and other enemy owned space structures. Use them as favored spawn points.

- In MOO1, I LOVED the news stories that would pop up randomly. It added so much character to the universe and directed my attention to things I may not have noticed. In Drox I like it when messages pop up from the various races. It makes me feel like I am relevant. I would like to see occasional news stories pop up as messages. Announce the destruction of a race, major shifts in power, unexpected disasters, and other major events that may get lost too quickly in the normal text log.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganazer View Post
I don't think its quite as bad as you're saying, but the options are limited. I tried real hard to find some alternate configurations and the only one I have found is to armor tank instead of shield tank with medium armor regen modules. Even with that, I'm not sure it will scale very well as I only got that character to level 5.
OK I may have exaggerated a little. I'll try to be more precise:

- You have to have a thruster which takes up a heavy slot. Keith managed to find a medium thruster, but that seems very rare, so it's not really worth considering as the average case.
- You pretty much need a heavy nuclear plant. You can try to use high engineering and medium power production items, but in my experience they won't keep up with your power needs.
- So that's 2 heavy slots used up, leaving you with 1 for a heavy weapon. If you go for medium power, you'll be more limited, but you'll have another slot open for a heavy weapon.
- The main items competing for medium slots are armor, shield, attack/defense bonuses and medium weapons. You can balance this any way you want ie. you can stick with shields only, you can stick with armor only, you can ditch both and get more medium weapons, or you can just boost your attack/defense. Or you can mix all of the above. If you wanted to have more than one heavy weapon though, you'll have to use medium slots to provide power.

I guess seen from this perspective, it's not so bad. My main gripe is that it's very hard to play with different weapons. Any heavy weapon that can't stand on its own is not something I can afford to use, because combining heavy weapons is so hard. Dedicated heavy weapon slots would really help with that. The main limits on heavy weapons IMO should be power -- not space. Space is what limits all your other components: shields vs armor vs computers vs. power and thrust vs. power (vs turning speed -- I think there should be a component for that).

The other issue is crew members, who really should have their own dedicated quarters. Otherwise I'll never use things like resistance items. Light slots are for little items that just help you a little -- like jewelry in DC.

Last edited by Bluddy : 06-20-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Expert

Quote:
Keith managed to find a medium thruster, but that seems very rare, so it's not really worth considering as the average case.
They've been pretty common for me, more common than +energy_regen light components.