Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Champion

I hope you will make a new one. I liked the idea of an intro very much.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Expert

Brilliant Shadow! Thank you very much - this patch looks fantastic! and I say once again your game rocks!

The changes...

Quote:
increased BaseMaxPowerLoad from 60 to 75 to help with new race specific slots
... great for starting out and a real help for hardcore mode! excellent...

Quote:
now get experience for discovering planets
.... nicely rewards the "interstellar scout" style of play, and you can still sell that data for hard cash...

Quote:
destroying a race ship is now worth 5 times more xp
and

Quote:
destroying a race planet is now worth 10 times more xp
and

Quote:
fixed not getting relation boosts for destroying enemy race ships or planets
and

Quote:
doubled relation boost for destroying enemy planets
and

Quote:
now get loot when destroying race ships and planets
.... fabulous... now we have an end game that is worth getting involved in, a real productive reason to lend a hand in the war of each sector, allies that notice when you do things that really help their war effort, and proper rewards for moving the sector closer to win conditions through your actions... perfect, many many thanks....

Quote:
now guarded planets take half damage
... better than my idea of planetary defense shields, still leaves freedom just to attack the world without engaging the ships but makes it much more difficult... and makes sense given the high level report of cpmartins here -->

Quote:
A linked ship to a planet would make the planet impossible to kill. I'm lvl 48, got 3 of the best weapons I could find (80 -90 dps each) and I stood there for 5 minutes and couldn't down a single one of their big ships. Used 3 stacks of shield boosters, but no can do. My attack is at 2100 so I'm WAAAAY above the required amount for my level, and yet was hard pressed to land hits on them. Yet on my 2000+ defense which should get me a 90% protection from ships from my level they didn't miss A SINGLE SHOT. Yep. Strangely enough, the random unaligned "evil" ships didn't have a problem hitting them.
and should also help to safeguard the existence of races a little more when under attack from monsters in the early game! stop it getting so lonely and down right dangerous out there!

Quote:
now unguarded planets take double damage
... this nicely rewards taking down the fleet, and i can imagine it being a real bonus after a hard fought battle to bring down those ships, being rather worn down and ill equipped after the fight, and being able to strike the killing blow before more ships are built or roaming monsters finish you off... my only concerns are that..

1) when starting a sector on home planet only if all races do not start with defensive fleets as well as the one planet, then they might get murdered fast by monsters while trying to build that first ship - but hell, i'm not sure if they all always start with this anyway - imagine you thought of that...

2) when a sub-race comes into existence and takes over their first planet i often find that planet completely undefended for a while as they harvest resources and build the first ships of their fleet... i'm worried this will cause them to suffer rather prompt monstery deaths before having an impact on the game... maybe they should not only take over the world but also capture 1 ship from the 'host' race for their own use?

and in relation to this change (and also an alternative solution to number 2) i have one idea regarding colonization missions and when you just follow a colony ship to their destination and guard them so they make it.... when the planet is first colonized they are going to be very weak till they pump out that first ship... i have often found myself hanging around the world my allies have just colonized to protect it from monsters, and i imagine this will be much more important now to safeguard their expansion... perhaps the relation increase and exp reward for defending a unprotected allied planet could be a little higher than normal to encourage and reward this type of play?! Maybe if the race could notice this they would give you a little cash once that first ship is built?!...

... but i think even better would be to make a new kind of mission (of the much requested 'political' type): every time a new world is colonized the race that has expanded offers a 'defend planet x while we build a defensive ship' mission? very simple, but meaningful - you have to hold off any attacking ships until that ship is built! if you did this then maybe the subraces could offer the same mission when they start as well? again, more coherent, better feel.... what do you think?

Quote:
fixed a problem with the sector win reward chest level
.... and a much more rewarding chest when following a sector all the way through to the end - now things are getting more coherent with rewards, win conditions and your actions!

... also like the extra information on the resources etc that is available now... and like the way better relations allow for more info... i still feel like it would be great to have the actual number of planets shown on the 'power comparison - planets' graph... maybe this is giving too much away but i feel like i would be much better informed on the state of the sector with this data in hand.... maybe though, it could be something achieved through a special 'hacking component' and would require you to spend a significant amount of time near a races planet to do (like a extra long search anomaly bar) - this could even create an opportunity for another 'political mission type, because doing this with a planet of a race you were at war with would for sure be rather dangerous, and it makes sense for your allies to be keen on knowing more about their opponents?

enough thoughts out of me... once again thank you so much for a great game, all the work in the ongoing beta, and the way in which you are taking on board the feedback so well! Cheers
Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Champion

I didn't find any line to translate "Legend" on the Comparison screen.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_zebest View Post
I hope you will make a new one. I liked the idea of an intro very much.
Yes, and please consider Ron Perlman for the narrator this time.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Amateur

So far the new patch seems to be working really well. The direction the game is going is great, keep up the great work Shadow

Starting conditions might need to be tweaked as others have stated when playing with the races only having their homeworld they don't start out with many defenders and can be destroyed very quickly by the monsters or the high aggressive races before they have a chance to build a few ships.

For a future patch is it possible to influence a race you are in an alliance with to attack a certain planet? It seems the games are dragging out a bit longer then they really should be due to the poor way in which the ai is sending fleets to attack enemy planets.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Expert

testing testing... and its good, some changes great like extra EXP from destroying enemy fleet ships is great, and the relation increases for playing a part in the war and wiping out ships/planets is spot on.... also exp for discovering new worlds works good along with the new information on planets and relations.. liking all this...

but from what i can tell i still get no EXP from destroying planets... somehow bugged still? the change log says you increased the EXP gain for killing a world by 10 - but i don't remeber ever getting any at all in past patches, and i definately don't now... so maybe the whole get EXP for planet kill is bugged somehow?

and ... they do drop components now when you destroy them (that's the planets) which is great but this seems to be bugged because every component i get from destroying a planet is something suitable for levels 1-5 rather than my level 29 utopian ship.

Loot from enemy ships seems fine... nice kit avaliable from that route.

not sure if maybe you need to take a look at relation decreases in the same way as increases because i just took out three dryad worlds in the war we have and they still think its nice to have me around 45% relation - seems way too high for the kind of damage i've done to them.

and another bug (i guess that i keep noticing - not just 907) is that often i will jump into a new sector and find a planet of a race (today it was fringe) that claims to be an eliminated race on the relations screen (not just greyed out, but eliminated written across the symbol as usual) yet there they are on the planet...

We are so much closer shadow! right now the relation changes (at least in terms of your allies - not sure about your enemies) have gone a long way to making war seem more real and if you can fix up the planet exp/component thing we'll be doing great!

and one last note on a balance issue - i dont know if its just my build (everyone has access to these tools though - virus infection stacking three times and then high damage kenetic bombardment!) but i think you could reduce this
Quote:
now guarded planets take half damage
to quarter damage at least... right now it still feels a touch too easy to knock out these planets.

Once again, many thanks for all the development work - closer to a classic all the time i think!

(now to finish up this sector and test the reward chest change...)

Last edited by jonasan : 07-07-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Expert

later on in the sector - might have jumped the gun on this...
Quote:
to quarter damage at least...
these dryad home worlds are taking a bit more work - despite my best efforts to get the drak ahead they have fallen behind, and with so many more resources and so ships the dryad planets left are pretty damn tough - might be just right - feelings of power (destroying worlds) and inadequacy (can't easily destroy worlds) in the same sector - the change could be spot on
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Elite

Just have to say, the inter-race and interplanetary combat is now 100% better! It feels a lot more dynamic, there are huge fights all over the place.

I still feel like my ship is a little insignificant though. I have a cruiser and still can't seem to take on a well guarded planet. By the time I have destroyed one guard, two more have spawned...
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Expert

what level is a cruiser? and what kind of loadout do you use shaggy?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasan View Post
what level is a cruiser? and what kind of loadout do you use shaggy?
Its a level 16 light cruiser (Fringe). I am using a laser (24.7 DPS) and a fighter bay (level 10). To take down a race destroyer is a good one or two minutes work, which is slower than they seem to respawn. And there are a lot of destroyers for every planet...