Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhound View Post
[list][*]It cuts down on the amount of room you have, the description of quests tend to be big enough to already force a scroll down in the offered quests window. (it definitely should be remade to look like the accepted quests window IMO)
The only reason that happens is because the quest screen is tiny. There's plenty of screen real-estate for the information window if you use up the whole screen.

Quote:
[*]filtering quests by a combination of races doesn't create a greater focus, it actually decreases it causing more quests to be shown at the same time.
It means that if I want to track what quests are available from my two allies (for example), I can easily do it in one place. So it's a pretty bring improvement to having to go to the relations screen, click on one race, click on quests, then go back to the relations screen, click on the other race, and click on quests. Over and over. Sure, having the quests on the relations screen in the first place is a convenience, but because I need to keep track of what's dynamically happening to several different races with conflicting goals, I think it makes sense.

Ultimately, just having the whole list in one place is a big deal. It would probably be almost as good to have sorting of quests rather than (or in addition to) filtering.

Quote:
[*]I don't know if you are suggesting three different buttons for 'by system' (current system, known systems, unknown systems) or if you are suggesting that every system should have a button of their own (in which case i would suggest a dropdown box instead) but this doesn't really help with focus either for me since generally the location of a quest matters far less to me than the type of quest it is
The buttons for systems is difficult. I think whatever the max number of systems is, you can make buttons that match that. Dropdown boxes are just too annoying and slow. For example, having to select the race you want to create a rumor for is immensely annoying (especially because it doesn't remember your last choice). Whatever the max number of systems is, you could have that many small buttons, each button containing the perhaps first and last letter of the system. A mouseover would show you the full name.

Quote:
I don't really see a need for being able to see your current active quests at the same time as the quests you can take.
The whole 'moves it from the right to the left' sounds like eyecandy at the cost of efficiency. I'd rather read the whole quest description and not see it move from the right to the left than seeing it move from the right to the left and be forced to scroll down every quest description.
I actually thing this is a big deal. Being able to see your active quests at the same time as other quests gives you information about whether you should switch to new quests. It lets you make an instant visual comparison, saving yourself a lot of time.

Quote:
Actually i made a suggestion on this myself that i think you might've missed.
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5498
I did miss that -- sorry. I like the ability to filter by quest type as well.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
The only reason that happens is because the quest screen is tiny. There's plenty of screen real-estate for the information window if you use up the whole screen.
Yes but having those borders on the outside visible does actually have a purpose, since in MP the game isnt paused when you go into these windows (as far as i know) and atleast this way i can see it when there's trouble coming.

Quote:
It means that if I want to track what quests are available from my two allies (for example), I can easily do it in one place. So it's a pretty bring improvement to having to go to the relations screen, click on one race, click on quests, then go back to the relations screen, click on the other race, and click on quests. Over and over. Sure, having the quests on the relations screen in the first place is a convenience, but because I need to keep track of what's dynamically happening to several different races with conflicting goals, I think it makes sense.

Ultimately, just having the whole list in one place is a big deal. It would probably be almost as good to have sorting of quests rather than (or in addition to) filtering.
Okay, i dont consider the switching between race that much work myself, then again i dont back and forth between them either.
That said i do see where you are coming from.
I only want this if its a base filter option though, not one that excludes other forms of filtering.
I like the way you currently access the quests from races and i don't want this to replace that. (But i doubt i can have my cake and eat it too. oh well its a minor sacrifice i guess, as long as it looks nice).

Quote:
The buttons for systems is difficult. I think whatever the max number of systems is, you can make buttons that match that. Dropdown boxes are just too annoying and slow. For example, having to select the race you want to create a rumor for is immensely annoying (especially because it doesn't remember your last choice). Whatever the max number of systems is, you could have that many small buttons, each button containing the perhaps first and last letter of the system. A mouseover would show you the full name.
Sorry but that is a horrible suggestion, i counted and i think you'll end up with well over 40 buttons on a huge sector.
A lot of systems are named alike so you'll end up with a lot of identical buttons too.
Yes, the dropdown box for the races is/was annoying (especially at planets where it seems to forget races etc), but real estate wise its a much better solution.

That said, i still don't know why you'd want system sorting.
To me it's the least useful not to mention the most time intensive sorting option in the game. Location rarely matters, purpose does.

Quote:
I actually thing this is a big deal. Being able to see your active quests at the same time as other quests gives you information about whether you should switch to new quests. It lets you make an instant visual comparison, saving yourself a lot of time.
But what is there to compare?
I don't accept the majority of my quests because i can complete them without taking them (a feature that i love btw).
The quests i do accept are quests i generally have to accept and plan on doing soon.
Beyond that... failed quests, but thats not switching thats just failure.
I don't know what you do that requires this visual comparison.
Are you racking up quests for specific systems to maximize your profit / efficiency? Most of those quests can be done without taking them so you can just go to the system and do it.
I've never abandoned a quest that i didnt fail because there was never a need to.
So basically, i don't see where you take this information from that suggests you should switch quests.

Tbh, i think there should be a relation penalty when you abandon quests / fail quests, this wouldn't conflict with the quests that can be done without taking them, since that is just something they want to get rid of and i really think you shouldn't have to take those quests to complete them to start with.
It would just create more of a consequence to the quests you have to take (kitransport diplomat, transport colony module etc.) and allow more of a consequence to future bigger quests with more importance.
Quote:
I did miss that -- sorry. I like the ability to filter by quest type as well.
It's alright.

The reason i consider filtering by quest type important is because it allows you to prune the unimportant moneymakers from the game influencing quests.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhound View Post
Sorry but that is a horrible suggestion, i counted and i think you'll end up with well over 40 buttons on a huge sector.
A lot of systems are named alike so you'll end up with a lot of identical buttons too.
Yes, the dropdown box for the races is/was annoying (especially at planets where it seems to forget races etc), but real estate wise its a much better solution.
OK so that made me realize what the solution could look like: a button that opens a map of the sector, where you can click on systems to enable/disable them for filtering.

Quote:
That said, i still don't know why you'd want system sorting.
To me it's the least useful not to mention the most time intensive sorting option in the game. Location rarely matters, purpose does.
Because I would like to plan out my traversal of the sector. If I can focus on accomplishing the quests in 2 or 3 systems at a time, I can be much more effective and wander around less.