Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Elite

Friends, Enemies, or At War?

I played in the 1st challenge level - and at some point nearly all the races declared war on me. I found some interesting potential bugs in the relations area:

I will rue "betraying their allegiance" message when attacking a race that declared war ON ME. They seemed to think we were friends or had a treaty and I was breaking it...?

Cortex were at war with Dryad on the main relations screen but on the trade screen "Make peace with..." was not available for each other. However "Break treaty with..." WAS available for each other. So perhaps the game thinks "War" is a treaty?

Suggestion for negotiations area:

I am often selling planet data or technology to multiple races, and all the clicking is wasteful and repetitive -- the "Back" on the negotiations sub-screens should either be lined up with each other (so that multiple clicks without moving the mouse will get you back to the main Relations screen...) &/or there could be a "Back to Relations" button on the sub-menus (i.e. on the trade screen). Maybe you don't want to go back to that particular race's option screen....one click back to the all-race Relations screen would be nifty. If you're going to do that, one click to get back to the game would also be nice...in case you're done. If there's a keypress that would do so, then the tooltip should say so -- but I'm clicking buttons an awful lot...

Another request:

I think it could be nice to be able to set up a beacon - a way for the player to mark a specific location (or locations) on the system maps. You could dump a bunch of loot, mark the spot with an X in your space-computer, and go sell stuff at the nearest planet and come back for your loot. Or mark an area with something interesting to come back to it (unexplored anomolies & wormholes, space junk, etc.). This also opens up quests for the player to mark a location for a race to know where something is with a special beacon. It could be a stackable item (think the empty vials from DC) that you keep in inventory, and you could pick up a "special beacon" when you get a quest. It fits the genre -- and gives the player an opportunity to "change their map" a little.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
I will rue "betraying their allegiance" message when attacking a race that declared war ON ME. They seemed to think we were friends or had a treaty and I was breaking it...?
That one's specific to Cortex. It's worded weirdly, but maybe it syncs with their personality, how they stay angry at someone once they get angry. It still sounds weird to me.

Quote:
I am often selling planet data or technology to multiple races, and all the clicking is wasteful and repetitive[...] If you're going to do that, one click to get back to the game would also be nice...in case you're done. If there's a keypress that would do so, then the tooltip should say so -- but I'm clicking buttons an awful lot...
Escape key.

Quote:
I think it could be nice to be able to set up a beacon - a way for the player to mark a specific location (or locations) on the system maps.
Right click.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Elite

3 more bugs/suggestions, I took screenshots and forgot...

1) On the sector congratulations screen, why is it giving vague and un-suited text? It knows what your win conditions were. The program knows that there was an alliance with the last race standing -- so the text could be suited to the situation. "Congratulations, Operative: you helped X race achieve total domination! Muhahahah... The power of the guild grows..." https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8998700/Dro...s%20Screen.png

2) It's been mentioned before, but I'll show it... Many vendors, especially as the game progresses it seems, have non-essential components showing up in their "essential components" slots.... And with many of us going through power-ups like rehydration drinks at the Olympics... that can be a deadly problem. I assume there's ONLY supposed to be the 4 power-ups in those slots? See screen shot from 0.913... Some power-ups purchased from these slots are pretty useless i.e. technology that doesn't work. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8998700/Dro...Components.png

3) I think there's a bug in this quest: It was given to me by a monster hanging out on the edge of a system. In the parenthesis it says "QuestOptionalShort" -- that looks like something that the player wasn't supposed to see? Maybe it should say "(optional)" and be set up for internationalization? https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8998700/Dro...onalShort2.png
Old 08-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Amateur

I've noticed a variety of ships (both race and otherwise) have hovering stat bars that seem to surpass any kind of framing. Most notably the Armor bar.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korin View Post
That one's specific to Cortex. It's worded weirdly, but maybe it syncs with their personality, how they stay angry at someone once they get angry. It still sounds weird to me.
Yes it was cortex, but it does make it sound like I broke a pact with them of some type -- meanwhile they'd declared war on me a while before...so it seemed rather asynchronous....

Quote:
Right click.
Well, I just saw that before I saw your post, actually...although it's not QUITE what I was thinking, it does work for me to mark places on the map on my own. It does not work as a beacon for quests, though... "Legend has it there's a special wormhole somewhere in X. You'll know you found it because of the purple sparklies. Take this beacon near the wormhole and leave it there for us, so we can send a team of scientists to research it."
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Elite

Thoughts after gaming tonight:

What happens if more than 3 races occupy a system that only has a 3 letter name? The system names are colored to show who resides in each sector...but some system names are only 3 letters. Is there a maximum # of races that will colonize a system?

And after their missiles get turned on them a few times, shouldn't the AI race ships stop firing missiles at those guys who turn your missiles back on you? I mean, are they THAT dumb?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Elite

Quote:
Thoughts after gaming tonight:

What happens if more than 3 races occupy a system that only has a 3 letter name? The system names are colored to show who resides in each sector...but some system names are only 3 letters. Is there a maximum # of races that will colonize a system?
Noticed and reported this one a few weeks ago. The only thing I can think of is to make all the system names at least 6 letters. Shouldn't be too hard to do that - might be my project today.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Elite

Also, I mentioned elsewhere -- could use more system/planet names in total -- there's a lot of repetition in the galaxy. Like people couldn't get more creative with planet names?

Need any help? lol I'm sure folk could help out. Could start a thread on it....

Ooooh yeah, and the challenge levels could have more than 6....
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Elite

Turns out that the system names are randomly generated, so Shadow will need to fix that somehow.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Elite

What about using two randomly generated words for each system instead of one?