Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > Drox Operative 2?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Champion

I love HuntingU's idea of you controlling a small "Drox Guild" instead of just one ship. That could be a cool differentiating feature from the original. A lot of people, myself included, really enjoy having persistent bonuses and upgrades unlocked, so that could play in well. (Persistent in this case would be to the character/guild, not to all characters in your local installation -- start a new character/guild, start with a blank slate. But obviously the gameplay loop is running that character through many systems/games, so this makes sense.) Perhaps that persistence is a skill tree which you have to make choices in rather than being able to unlock everything -- hard choices and specialization are fun!

Huge boss ships/special encounters would be great. I can imaging having to fly around a ship/base that is 2 or three screens huge, taking out defenses all the way around it bit by bit in order to be able to attack it, or as mentioned, have different phases, or repeatedly finding the weak spot as the enemy beefs up defenses where you have been attacking it... there's a lot of cool things that could be done here. Especially if we make a pool of these things that can be caused from a variety of actions, and have different modifiers that make each instance a slightly unique experience -- affixes beyond just numbers and resistances, but optional mechanics, different phase order, etc.

Perhaps the Command Point system could be redesigned, or dropped altogether and instead you bought and upgraded ships in a different manner. Or Command Points were like a currency instead of a sequential upgrade, and you had access to a shipyard where you could use that smaller, earlier ship but buff it to make it viable at any point. Being able to invest in "weaker" ships to make them more powerful is a great way to really personalize things. Options are good!

Can you tell I'm excited?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:43 AM
Champion

Just came back here to say: great news!!

Drox Operative is my favourite games after Depths of Peril ( first love !).

I really want to see better graphics, models and animations. A key point for DO2 success (IMHO) is design elements on screen: everything should be easily recognisable, so take another step for your games and put more effort (community can help too) in this.

A part from this, I don't like too much arcade games anymore, so auto-aim could be an option, for me always on!

Drox Operative key point is to play as lone wolf in a 4x space game: maybe you can work to enhance this and help community build mods around popular franchises (star trek, star wars etc, battlestart galactica.. ).
Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Elite

It's been so long since I played Drox Operative... the only pain point I had was that I wanted to max every stat, but couldn't.

Of course, now that I'm much older, I don't mind that as much and understand why you maxing them all shouldn't happen. Though, the command gating on ship size was probably my bigger gripe. (It has been a long time though, so I'm kind of basing this response off of other responses on how I used to feel... I wonder if it has been 10 years since I played? haha)

Now I kind of want to do another play through....