Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Amateur

Default "dedicated" server

Ok

I installed the game on a VMServer session on an ESXi server, running Windows 2003 Server... it doesn't really like Windows 2003 Server... when I had the session set for 1 CPU, the exe pegged it to 100%... so I reconfigured the session to have 4 CPUs, now it runs at 25% (lol) so same usage in a sense, but now there is plenty of CPU for mutli player...

In any case, then I started the server so people can play... well, we have 4-5 playing on the server this evening and it seems ot be running fine (I set the game on the server to 640x480 and the "fastest" graphic settings so it runs in a windows minimized)

The ONLY problem I see is, it would be nice to have an OPTION that allowed the "next town to AUTO SPAWN with the previous settings"

Then when players saved a town, they could move on to the next town without some user intervention at the "server"... since I'd like to leave this server online all the time and I can't sit here and watch it forever ... I am actually about to buy another license so I can play since the server is using one of my licenses.... and I'd like to run 2-3 server with different settings and/or mods ... but alas, with no way for it to "auto spawn the next town" it's a moot point..

and Shadow, I still didn't get your PayPal account....
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

There is a user var called maxfps that you can set to lower cpu usage. For example if the game is usually running at 60 frames per second you can set maxfps to 30 and the cpu usage will drop a lot.

I'll look into adding something to auto start a new world.

I just sent you an email about the Paypal thing.
Patreon
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Amateur

Default More stuff

I'll check that out for sure, but at the moment, "throwing" 4 CPUs at it "fixed it"

Also, the option to "auto start" the next town with the previous settings would be good, then I could host a server at 1st, one at 8th, one at 16th...

Or maybe an option to "auto start" the next town at with monsters at the level of the current "server host", or possibly even a "restart at 1st level once you reach XX level" then server goes from 1st - 25th and back again over time...

Just some ideas... though a "non graphic" dedicated server would be better, this at least works for my purposes...

and I think having some 24/7 servers online at all times would be a good thing for the game over all.

I'll help any way I can, just let me know.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Amateur

Default other ideas

Ok

Some other ideas for the "dedicated server" auto town start option...

and since these are ideas, you can tell me it's just not possible without some huge programming rewrite etc... but here goes.

Maybe have an option that it's a "dedicated server" and thus the character that creates the server gains NO EXP. Then when the town is saved and the new town is created it sets the monsters at the current logged in party average ...

I still think there needs to be "roll over" maximum level so the server and be setup to run from 1st - 4th, 5th-8th etc, and then it just starts over so it's always available for 1st-4th players, 5th-8th players etc. or whatever range you want to create the server for (obviously anyone can join any level server, but at least you can fins one in the range you want to play)

Just some ideas of sorts... still thinking it through a bit
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Expert

Default Great Idea

I agree a dedicated server would be a fantastic idea guys
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Amateur

Default Please try it

Ok folks

Should you get the time, look for an internet server on US West (though I am in Texas so pretty central I would say)...

It's called: ServerHost

I currently have it set to 16 players since I have NO clue how many it may or may not be able to handle...

Login, try and "break" it some, let me know the results.

I wanna try and get a stable 24/7 server online (I know the next town won't auto spawn yet, but Steven is actually going to look into that) ... in any case, I need to verify some CPU usage, RAM usage, bandwidth usage... so I need some testers on it...

I have 3-4 people I know that all got on and played for about 3 hours last night wit no problems, but I need more

Thanx
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Expert

I'll see if I can hop in there tonight to play around
Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Champion

Thanks for all your efforts on this, ServerHost. I also think this will be a good idea, and hopefully multi-player will get some love in the coming expansion. I am hoping for multi-player 'modes' or something to maybe spice it up and give a different feeling than just playing single-player with friends.

Anyhow, I will also try and help with this server. I actually looked for it out of boredom last night. I could of sworn that you had said days/weeks ago that it was already up and running, but I may be mistaken.

Again, thanks for all the effort
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Champion

If it is possible could there be an auto-download feature for when you join a server that is running mods? Also, can it just apply to just playing on that one server? I don't mind using mods for the enjoyment of multi-player, but don't like using mods in general.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Expert

Can't join the server. The server is using a different protocol version.

I imagine we're running different versions of the game?